Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remix Competition 1 - warm up!

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Please refer to THIS thread if you don't know why we pick non-vocal tracks and don't use stems!

Here are your files:-

Pure midi and a text file containing a youtube link to original.

Post your FINALS by next Saturday night, before I get up on Sunday 26th HERE.

Here's the challenge. This is to be remixed into the current Sounds/trends that are around - feel free to totally mess with the flow of parts if you don't like them - the original only has to hinted at.

Current trends include the main genres - House, Techno, Minimal, Trance and Electro.

Why these limitations? - because this is to get you up to speed with delivery of remixes to the expectations of a typical label.

If you feel this is demanding, welcome to the real world - normally this would be due by Wednesday - so a piece of advice, Get Going! - start and most importantly Focus!

If you need help with current trends, hit the DJ forum and ask for help there and I suspect they will be more than helpful. Or if you need general advice (but not on actual mixes), feel free to PM me or ask on this thread.

Good Luck all.

Next weeks will be harder but include a prize of some use to you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Gentlemen....start your engines :p

Hey Jazz, is drum n'bass allowed? Not that I'll be doing that genre but just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

red dave wrote: »
    Gentlemen....start your engines :p

Hey Jazz, is drum n'bass allowed? Not that I'll be doing that genre but just in case?

If it's still a current thing, go for it. It's more to make people go check latest sounds to practice watching current trends and ripping them (and then going a little beyond ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sounds good, I'll make an attempt. I'm very bad for finishing things so maybe this will be a good exercise.

Is there any kind of length restrictions or whatever is fine?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Excellent, Working now until Tuesday, have an original track i wanna get done.

and a few other bits i'd like to get done, but once im "off" on tuesday, this is getting raped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Is that Ableton file in an Ableton 8 format? I've only got 7.

Is it just the Midi file broken up anyhow?

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    Is that Ableton file in an Ableton 8 format? I've only got 7.
    Is it just the Midi file broken up anyhow?

Yep ableton 8 sorry, but is the same as midi file except in separate tracks... so nothing amazing.

No restrictions on length, but think about the current things around - it's even possible to do radio edits (2:30mins) if you're into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Stupid question of the day.

How do I get this midi track into Logic? I can play it as an audio file on the net but Can't get it into my DAW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Yep ableton 8 sorry, but is the same as midi file except in separate tracks... so nothing amazing.

No restrictions on length, but think about the current things around - it's even possible to do radio edits (2:30mins) if you're into that.

No, it's fine. When I dragged the midi file into Able 7 it split the midi tracks for me automatically. (the only thing I have to fix was the patch on the clips - it took me a while to fine that.

Now what to do with it. A Club friendly mix? (wish I actually knew how to do that)

No, I already have an idea or two what I'm going to do with it - What are 4 min edits called?

How do I get this midi track into Logic? I can play it as an audio file on the net but Can't get it into my DAW.

Cheers.

Try just dragging the midi file from your desktop into a logic midi track. Or into it's pane. Or just try opening it. All DAWs generally recognize midi and split it.

When I did it in Ableton - Ableton automatically created new midi tracks and split the file for me.

Cheers.

I clicked on the link to save it to desktop and then from there used import option in FL to open new project with them

• Advertisement

Thanks KRD and Red Dave, I'll give it a go.

That worked:)

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hmm...Downloading the .als file just gives me a .html file for some reason. MIDI and text files downloaded file, not the Ableton file.

Also, is nu-disco allowed? Definitely one of the biggest trends at the minute.

Hmm...Downloading the .als file just gives me a .html file for some reason. MIDI and text files downloaded file, not the Ableton file.

Also, is nu-disco allowed? Definitely one of the biggest trends at the minute.

Go for it :) - lots of people having weirdness with the Ableton one... i'll just stick midi only next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

cripes. this is hard. :eek:

do you mind if i ask what the difference is between the 3 main melody sections? they're the exact same essentially, aren't they (barring the fact that they midi notes are off by a few measures each)?

it's just that when you listen to the original there seems like an awful lot going on... and then when you look at the midi files... well, there really is only three bits (piano, bassline and melody) and, uh... well, it's kinda hard trying to make it sound like anything...

:confused:

i'm only moaning cos... it's what i do best! :D

lazyatom wrote: »

do you mind if i ask what the difference is between the 3 main melody sections? they're the exact same essentially, aren't they (barring the fact that they midi notes are off by a few measures each)?

it's just that when you listen to the original there seems like an awful lot going on... and then when you look at the midi files... well, there really is only three bits (piano, bassline and melody) and, uh... well, it's kinda hard trying to make it sound like anything...

This is usually a *lot* more than people get :) - the next remix will just be a link to an original where all data would have been lost or unavailable - that test will get your ears wired to what's going on big time :)

lazyatom wrote: »

Of the main melodies - if you listen to the original track echo is used to flesh out the main riff. So the guy who made the midi made a midi track where the same notes are off (they're not all off) - to create the echo effect. Play around with what basses you have - you'll notice it then.

I'd like to actually merge some of the midi tracks but don't know how to in Ableton. If it can be done - I suppose I could just copy and paste.

And yes it is hard. But it's the only way you'll learn. And it's really the only way of up'ing your game.

I've been hacking at it since Sunday - I definitely have more than I can chew. I've learned quite a bit in the process. (I actually got started on a Deep house track that I really like that has nothing to do with the competition but came together really quickly just from trying to focus on getting the competition thing to work)

The whole thing has been like being handed a college project - thinking you can do it - then realising you haven't really done your homework all term long.

I'll definitely have something for Sunday - but it will be a mutant child - full of poorly executed half baked ideas.

But next time around - I'll know what homework needs to be done in advance.

krd wrote: »
    but it will be a mutant child - full of poorly executed half baked ideas.

Awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

If the net result is going to have a corresponding midi file does this mean loop samples are out of bounds? For example, drums loops are not to be used but instead every kick/snare/hat that's played should have a corresponding midi hit than could be imported to any DAW and mapped it's own drum machine(s) in a general midi kind of way?

The main song isn't a problem for me but I haven't programmed drums (or breakbeats at least) in years so this aspect I'm finding tricky. Learning isn't the word it's like an intensive crash course.

dasdog wrote: »
    If the net result is going to have a corresponding midi file does this mean loop samples are out of bounds? For example, drums loops are not to be used but instead every kick/snare/hat that's played should have a corresponding midi hit than could be imported to any DAW and mapped it's own drum machine(s) in a general midi kind of way?

The main song isn't a problem for me but I haven't programmed drums (or breakbeats at least) in years so this aspect I'm finding tricky. Learning isn't the word it's like an intensive crash course.

Do what you can to your ability - I'll be giving marks with advice after, so will have action plans for people needing it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Damn it I forgot this was starting on Sunday and just seen this thread.

Doubt I'll make it but sure I'll give it a go...

Damn it I forgot this was starting on Sunday and just seen this thread.

Doubt I'll make it but sure I'll give it a go...

I suspect that most people will start on Saturday... like 2 hours before the deadline ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

genuinely not trying to be arsey but wouldn't a label look for people who are known for producing "the main genres - House, Techno, Minimal, Trance and Electro."

"this is to get you up to speed with delivery of remixes to the expectations of a typical label."

would someone who's style is not one of the mentioned genres be asked to remix a track like this by a label?

this is kinda leaving those out who don't make these genres imo

or am i missing something?

genuinely not trying to be arsey but wouldn't a label look for people who are known for producing "the main genres - House, Techno, Minimal, Trance and Electro."

"this is to get you up to speed with delivery of remixes to the expectations of a typical label."

would someone who's style is not one of the mentioned genres be asked to remix a track like this by a label?

this is kinda leaving those out who don't make these genres imo

or am i missing something?

We'll find out when people send the mixes out to labels :)

If you want to be ground breaking/unique, then you'd not be giving a flying monkeys about some forums remix competition and getting out there plugging your own material :) - also some basic psychology (without getting a head rammed up arse), people like identification, recognition, patterns, symmetry - so the clever people wanting complete musical freedom can take the route of remixing and twist it a bit to get their foot in the door.

I mean, look at me - a complete metal head who has his dream guitar and can make music all day from doing some Trance - so ummm... works for some.

This competition is really about being able to hone skills to do anything - being original is EASY, I can do Jackson Pollock in a DAW but more interest in helping majorities kick back or dance their tits off..

There will be more challenges based around peoples abilities in the DAW, and maybe some tests for being able to re-create sounds that already exist.

This may seem like an artistic travesty, but imagine walking down the road and hearing/imagining a sound and then being able to go home and re-create that sound/effect.

All got to start somewhere, and usually with rudiments.

If the mixes people send in have some blazing talent, then I'll up the game and have something even more challenging - please remember I can get this heard by some decent ears in the industry for much better feedback.

We can have a 'freak out' session soon though - I lost my best piece ever, so can't be bothered to try again ;) - but will arrange for a suitably left field experiment to make you sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

im not trying to be groundbreaking/unique at all...i was just simply wondering why the remix had to be limited to certain genres is all i was on about

im purely into music making for pleasure and not plugging my material for commercial reasons atm ie sending stuff out to labels, hence my interest in the comp

just having people hear my music who normally wouldn't hear it is good enough for me

i had my heart set on some hardcore gabber tho wink.gif

nah, im fine within those genres....as i said i wasn't trying to be arsey, just wondering :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Mine'll be up on soundcloud tonight or tomorrow as I have a friend coming over from England with her child for the next few days and over the weekend so I won't be able to work on it then. Haven't seen her in about 2 and a half years so it wouldn't be too polite pissing off and working on this…

Just remember, the right side probably sounds better than the left!

Mine'll be up on soundcloud tonight or tomorrow as I have a friend coming over from England with her child for the next few days and over the weekend so I won't be able to work on it then. Haven't seen her in about 2 and a half years so it wouldn't be too polite pissing off and working on this…

Just remember, the right side probably sounds better than the left!

I'm sure she would have given you an earfull if you didn't see her :P

red dave wrote: »
    I'm sure she would have given you an earfull if you didn't see her :P

Ah, she wouldn't ear of it!

She's actually staying with us so its kind of unavoidable.

Next it will be 'Dog ate my homework sir' ;P

Cool, If mixes are not finished that is fine... at least people have tried and we can move on once i've been through everyones with maybe a few others input i can drag in :)

• Advertisement

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Next it will be 'Dog ate my homework sir' ;P

Cool, If mixes are not finished that is fine... at least people have tried and we can move on once i've been through everyones with maybe a few others input i can drag in :)

But he did eat it!!!

Tbh, I think I saw this straight after you put it up on Sunday morning (aren't kids and early weekend mornings great!) so I've been tinkering away whenever I get the chance for the past couple of days knowing I'd have to most likely finish up this evening. It'll be a finished track, good or bad.

I think this remix competition is a great idea that's why I wanted to try and get something in for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement