Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop wouldnt accept €5

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Handyman1

Dambant wrote: »
    yesterday i got €5 note in my change, the middle of it was cellotaped, like someone had ripped it and cellotaped it..fair enough it happens, and i didnt think anything of it. QUOTE]

I found all this very interesting… So going back to the first part of the OP question, if say she had refused to take the torn note from the first vendor - they in turn could have said “take it or leave it” and would be right by law in doing so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Not sure if the OP noticed this or not - but where the serial numbers on both parts the same - I've had a few occasions where i've had notes with mismatched serial numbers. These have been refused by banks.

Also, it's becoming more common that shops have safes that have a bill acceptor on them that count cash, and seal this in acceptor that only cash collect companies can collect, a badly creased, dog eared, or tapped note would be rejected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there a case for plastic notes like they have in Oz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its legal tender, regardless of the sellotape.

as there was no contract, the shop was not bound (afaik) to accept the money from you
    Its no longer legal tender if it had been altered / mutilated or adapted from the original note. In this case it was ripped in half and patched up with sellotape.

The OP should have taken this note to a bank and got them to deal with it, if a local bank refuses to accept it the Central Bank will. Bringing this to a local retailer is only passing the book.

If the note is very badly damaged, ie parts of the serial number missing the bank will hold off refunding you until such time as they can trace the origion of the note and make sure it is not a part of a scam. I once had to wait six months for a refund on a damaged £20 note from the Central Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

i work in retail and we avoid accepting large notes off €200 upwards as giving change could wipe out the till float!!... most customers are very understanding.. have never had a problem anyway.

• Advertisement

rainyrun wrote: »
    i work in retail and we avoid accepting large notes off €200 upwards as giving change could wipe out the till float!!... most customers are very understanding.. have never had a problem anyway.
    In the UK there is talk of banning Euro notes over €100 and I wouldn't blame them. In the US its the same, its almost impossible to cash anything over $50 in smaller retail outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

In the UK there is talk of banning Euro notes over €100 and I wouldn't blame them. In the US its the same, its almost impossible to cash anything over $50 in smaller retail outlets.

why would they bother to ban euros in a country that doesnt take them anyway ?

delllat wrote: »
    Correction, its actually the €500 bill.

And yes UK exchange offices and banks do regularly deal in Euro currency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8678886.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I used to get handed a 500 euro note from a customer every saturday morning for a cup of coffee. Luckilly it was a busy bar and I just started carrying a bigger float in expectation (there was 15000 accessible in a main safe) Had I known the law then I think I would have offered to accept it but wont give change just to see his face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ok i give up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

€200 and €500 are for inter-bank transfers AFAIK, not for Joe public

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

To the poster who asked about signs in shops saying notes over a certain value aren't accepted: this is due, in large part, to the number of forgeries going around. I know of one business in Galway city in the recent past that was hit 3 times in one day by dodgy €100 notes, didn't find out until they were doing their lodgement the following day.:eek: The guards came around to most businesses telling them to be aware of the increased number of forgeries in the area. Hey presto! signs everywhere refusing €100 notes & above.:rolleyes:
    Working in retail, I know that we never lodge €5 or €10 notes, but keep them to use as banks charge us for ordering them. A note torn in half may be missing it's strip down the middle. Any note missing any of it's legal identifying marks can be refused. I've had customers refuse to accept notes from me, so yes OP, you could have refused it in the original transaction. Mind you, I would have made faces at you as you walked away from the till if you did it to me:D
    On the other hand, I've had customers ask me if I had any nice new non-crinkled notes because they want to put them in a birthday card for the grandkids!:pac:
    Funny story: new girl at work, 1st day was a Friday, started at 12.30. Did lift on till at 3pm in preparation for doing last lodgement before wkend. Forged fifty in the till. Note was a (bad) photocopy. "Lead strip" was covered with elastoplast. "Foil badge" was tinfoil. We were p!ssing ourselves at how bad a forgery it was...she wasn't obviously!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

jor el wrote: »
    You got an opinion. You also got an answer to your question. What more do you want? Are you looking for opinions on what you did, or what the shop attendant did, because you're going to have to accept both? Since you got your goods, and paid for them, I don't see what anyone's opinion means right now. It looks to me like you're looking for everyone to give you a clap on the back for a job well done.

As it stands, you were wrong. The shop didn't have to accept your money, but you forced it on them and walked off with the goods. Having not actually accepted your money, then technically you were shoplifting.

You shouldn't have accepted the torn note in the first place, or having accepted it, you should have brought it to the bank and changed it for a good note. Forcing it onto a retailer was wrong, but since you've done it, and got away with it, so what else are you looking for?

She should be locked up and the key thrown away tbh..

The first reply was a smart comment, nothing more. I can honestly say I'd be pissed off too if I went into the shop and got that treatment, we often get ripped money, I bloody sellotape it for them ffs, it's not a big deal. The shopkeeper was being an arrogant ass and the OP stood her ground, fair play for being assertive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'd like to think the fiver I had last week, the ripped up and sellotaped one, was the one the OP had :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rainyrun wrote: »

Unlike people who win 200 or so on the lotto on a sat night, and Present the ticket first thing sunday morning.

people being unable to comprehend that the till Doesn't quite have enough cash is beyond them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

delllat wrote: »

Many of the larger retailers will happily take Euros in some stores, but I think it's usually restricted to €100 notes and below.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I remember the UK story it was 1 small Bureau de change that was ordering nearly all the €500 notes in the UK. They where offering a nice laundry service.

Advertisement