Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why 24 pay parking by the docks?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Most areas in town are pay parking until 6.30pm or so.
    The docks is 24hr, why?and how did they get away with this?
    cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Private area owned by the Galway Harbour Company / Docks Board who can legally make their own parking rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Is it not about €2/hour throughout the day then €2 from 6pm - 8am?

If it's down at the DunAengus side you mean, either side of the road is run by a different company, Galway Harbour Company and Galway Property Management Company... one is cheaper than the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

dinneenp wrote: »
    Most areas in town are pay parking until 6.30pm or so.
    The docks is 24hr, why?and how did they get away with this?
    cheers,
    Pa

I presume it's because it's a 24HR business. Ships can arrive at any time of the night and day. Just a guess, i'm too lazy to look it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Ships can arrive at any time of the night and day. Just a guess, i'm too lazy to look it up..

The parking is for cars not ships and sailors or merchant seaman usually don't don't bring their cars with them when they go to sea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

the public road between dock and buildings (multi story carpark/bar No 8 etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »
    the public road between dock and buildings (multi story carpark/bar No 8 etc)

I've been told that though it looks like public road, it's actually harbour board land.

No references sorry.

But I'm pretty sure there's something to it: there must be some reason why the usual council laws don't apply there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

mathepac wrote: »
    Private area owned by the Galway Harbour Company / Docks Board who can legally make their own parking rules?
    ^^ What he said. It's a business, they can do what they like
    JustMary wrote: »
    I've been told that though it looks like public road, it's actually harbour board land.

No references sorry.

But I'm pretty sure there's something to it: there must be some reason why the usual council laws don't apply there.
    You are 100% correct. The Dock Road is owned by Galway Harbour Company. I don't know what the agreement is (I'm guessing the Council lease or something along the lines of that) but it answers the OP's question

Advertisement