Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want X to be played at my funeral..

Options
  • 19-09-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

So, Iv heard this said a few times but have never taken anyone too seriously about it. This morning however, I went with my family to see the body of my very first childhood friend who died at the tragic age of 20 on Friday morning.
    I was dreading visiting the house because I dont handle funerals well at all.
    Anyway, to the point. When I entered the living room, he was in his coffin with his parents standing either side.. and Rage Against the Machine playing quietly off of the stereo. It actually made me crack a smile, which I felt was inappropreiate, but his Mother noticed and commented that it was his two brothers idea.

Has anyone else got any stories similar to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sorry to hear about your friend, Tangy

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

8 years ago a good friend of mine died (drowned)
    he had just turned 18 a HUGE radiohead fan the day of the funeral
    naturally we all suggested a radiohead song (street spirit) to be played but his mother didnt like it
    so she played fúcking celine fúcking dion - my fúcking heart will ƒucking go on
    so nobody was a bit happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So, Iv heard this said a few times but have never taken anyone too seriously about it. This morning however, I went with my family to see the body of my very first childhood friend who died at the tragic age of 20 on Friday morning.

My sympathies

Thankfully I've been lucky enough never to have had to attend the funeral of someone who died young but I think that if someone has that kind of spirit and is passionate about their music as both a performer and a fan then it can be fitting tribute to their life and their memory and, ultimately in a moment of sadness, can provide you with a remembrance of happier times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

8 years ago a good friend of mine died (drowned)
    he had just turned 18 a HUGE radiohead fan the day of the funeral
    naturally we all suggested a radiohead song (street spirit) to be played but his mother didnt like it
    so she played fúcking celine fúcking dion - my fúcking heart will ƒucking go on
    so nobody was a bit happy

Wow, so not just ****ty Celine Dion but the song from Titanic to boot... I'm speechless at the facepalmness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

My sympathies to all concerned who've lost somebody before their time.

What songs would you guys want to have played at your own funeral? Something cheerful to lighten the mood? Make sure you tell somebody before you pop your clogs to avoid a Celene Dion scenario!

I'd probably have something like these:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

sorry for your loss there op....

i always hoped for ride on - ac/dc.

..that or hell awaits for divilment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I was dreading visiting the house because I dont handle funerals well at all.
    Anyway, to the point. When I entered the living room, he was in his coffin with his parents standing either side.. and Rage Against the Machine playing quietly off of the stereo. It actually made me crack a smile, which I felt was inappropreiate, but his Mother noticed and commented that it was his two brothers idea.

Has anyone else got any stories similar to this?

Lovely story for a rainy day thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater. I've told my other half this a few times... One of my favourite songs by them & very appropriate too..

My mam wants a disco & no black!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnz2O4Chfw

I was at a guy I knows funeral about 16 years ago & the 2 songs they played still remind me of him, so a nice memento!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oral Slang wrote: »
    The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater. I've told my other half this a few times... One of my favourite songs by them & very appropriate too..
    Definitely this.

Also

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Always gives me a little chill

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

guns and roses and nirvana. there could be more i don't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sigur Ros - Vaka

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

As far a fetched that this sounds i swear its true, a friend of a friend passed away and on her death bed she asked for Queens Another One Bites The Dust to be played at the funeral mass and it was, i tell ya standing in that chapel listening to that song was as surreal a situation i have ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Sorry to hear OP, such a young age.
    Mine are as follows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Just back from the funeral, Im glad I turned down his Mam to say a prayer of the faithful.

They played Stairway to heaven at the bigginning and his Mam read the following verse from 'a poster in his bedroom,'

And as we wind on down the road
    Our shadows taller than our soul
    There walks a lady we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show
    How everything still turns to gold
    And if you listen very hard
    The truth will come to you at last
    When all are one and one is all
    To be a rock and not to roll

cue a rapturous applause for her getting through the whole thing without faultering or even shedding a tear, beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 7bass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

A neighbour of mine died quite suddenly about 5 years ago, and I remember his brother telling me that they had "Master Of Puppets" (the album)playing in the background at his wake!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Metallica-Nothing Else Matters. My favourite song of all time and it's a beautiful song too, not too heavy for a funeral either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Lads, I never asked what you'd like played at your funeral. I asked for stories of something similar to mine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Was at a funeral in Galway and the organist played "I am the highway" by Audioslave.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

I really REALLY cannot see the logic behind playing some 'depressing', or 'sad' or 'deep' music at your funeral!
    I mean, what a horrible, horrible thing to inflict upon your loved ones. They are most certainly already down enough without some sad music pushing them over the edge!

At my funeral, I will definately want one of the Scatman's great hits, or possibly Team America's 'Aids' rumbling in the background! Anything to give my family a smile really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I really REALLY cannot see the logic behind playing some 'depressing', or 'sad' or 'deep' music at your funeral!
    I mean, what a horrible, horrible thing to inflict upon your loved ones. They are most certainly already down enough without some sad music pushing them over the edge!

At my funeral, I will definately want one of the Scatman's great hits, or possibly Team America's 'Aids' rumbling in the background! Anything to give my family a smile really

Not really fan of this type of event and not gonna die at all :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement