Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flock number

• 19-09-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

i have always kept animals and was thinking about getting a few sheep i was wondering if i had to ge the flock number and how i would go about getting one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i was wondering about this too , would like to get a few sheep for the kids to have an interest in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if you have a herd number contact your dvo who will issue you with a sheep designator or identifier number

you will also need to ask for a flock register and a book of dispatch documents

you may also need some yellow mart/slaughter tags, EID tags, and in the future may need red or blue replacement tags

http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/new_Sheep_tag_order_form.html

OOPs

nearly forgot, every couple of years the dept will ask you to identify one of your fallen sheep for scrapie test, for this they will supply you with a grey tag

fairly straightforward really :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

I have a question about these EID tags. I bought ewe lambs last week in the Mart. they were all tagged in the left ear with the sellers tag. what happens at Xmas time when i go to tag them and put them into my registrar?. do i take out the conventiional tag on the left year and replace it with my own conventional tag. meanwhile on the right ear i put the electrinic tag that has to have the same number as the left ear tag????? am i understanding it correctly??????

help

thanks

iron man wrote: »
    I have a question about these EID tags. I bought ewe lambs last week in the Mart. they were all tagged in the left ear with the sellers tag. what happens at Xmas time when i go to tag them and put them into my registrar?. do i take out the conventiional tag on the left year and replace it with my own conventional tag. meanwhile on the right ear i put the electrinic tag that has to have the same number as the left ear tag????? am i understanding it correctly??????

help

thanks

you have a number of options

if the the tag in place is a mart tag,... second or third row down in this link

http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/new_Sheep_tag_order_form.html

you can

(a) leave the tag already in the left ear and order an EID tag of the same number for the right ear

(b) leave the tag in place and insert your own conventional tag also in the left ear along with your EID tag in the right ear, (2 tags left ear 1 tag right ear)

(C) as you stated remove the tag and re tag with your own EID set ( 1 tag each ear)

most people will opt for either (b) or (c)

some ewe lambs offered for breeding are being tagged with the short term slaughter tags , ( first line in the link above) the dept are trying to discourage the use of this tag for breeding stock

maybe sure you record all details in your register

this is my reading of the rules forgive me if am incorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

so how do u go about getting the erd number in the first place as i recently acquired a little land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

Thanks Snowman

im going to take the last option. two tags in the left ear will spoil my ewe lambs particulary if im selling them next year as hoggets. beside i dont think the ear could hold two of the type of tags. the first option doesnt make sence. sure my number wouldnt be on the lambs at all.

tanks

ferrete wrote: »
    so how do u go about getting the erd number in the first place as i recently acquired a little land

get in touch with your local DVO, they will advise you what is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

as snowman says DVO will answer all. One herd no. will do for cattle and sheep but different designator no.s for cattle and sheep and, lucky you they will supply ALL paperworks required. For free! Tags can be ordered from approved suppliers. But what is this about grey tags for fallen ewes? I have never seen one. Its not april 1st is it

[QUOTE=5live;68099756. But what is this about grey tags for fallen ewes? I have never seen one. Its not april 1st is it[/QUOTE]

the dept pick a few flocks each year to monitor for scrapie , they may opt to blood test a number of ewes , or they may opt to do a pm on the carcase of a fallen sheep, for the latter you will be supplied with a grey tag to fit to left ear of the next dead animal and you will also be asked to advise the knackery re same

by the way anyone order dispatch documents lately? I am waiting 3 weeks and no sign of them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jed_Bartlet

snowman707 wrote: »
    by the way anyone order dispatch documents lately? I am waiting 3 weeks and no sign of them :mad:

You used to be able to order these straight from your local DVO (who'd just ring the relevant section in Ag. House and get them to issue them immediately) but this was changed about a year ago. Now the local offices have to email some section in Ag. House and they can only do this every Monday (or the Tuesday that follows a Bank Holiday Monday) so, for example, if you ring your local DVO on a Wednesday of any week, the request won't be sent for another 5 days. Talk about adding a pointless level of bureaucracy to a system that didn't need it. :confused:

You also can't get more than 1 issue of individual sheets if you need them in a hurry. The office in Dublin simply won't issue them no matter what the reason.

I know people in my local office and they're getting screamed at by farmers for dispatch dockets that were on order for a few weeks but haven't yet been issued but they're powerless to do anything about it because the eejits in Dublin made a decision without consulting them.

If I were you, I'd ring the section in Dublin and let them know that you're still waiting them but that they're delaying things - number I got friom Dept. website was 1890 252 713 (or 01 6072901)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I think that the delay in issueing new dispatch dockets is due to new(AND improved????) design of dockets. I mean it was the speedy decision and implementation of new regulations that caught the dept on the hop. They really need more than 12 months notice to design, approve, offer contract for tender, approve and order documents. I think we should count ourselves lucky we are getting 2010 payments this year and not 2000 ones. Sorry about the anti dept rant (again?):mad: I think i may have found my theme of the year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MICHMASH76

ferrete wrote: »

we have just got our herd number. we went down to the dvo office and filled out the application form someone then came out from the office and looked at the land, a few weeks later we got our number and a record book in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MICHMASH76

5live wrote: »
    as snowman says DVO will answer all. One herd no. will do for cattle and sheep but different designator no.s for cattle and sheep and, lucky you they will supply ALL paperworks required. For free! Tags can be ordered from approved suppliers. But what is this about grey tags for fallen ewes? I have never seen one. Its not april 1st is it

Hi, do you know any good and prefably cheap suppliers of eartags?

Thanks

Advertisement