Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on External Flash - any help appreciated!

• 19-09-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

New to this forum so please go easy on me! Just bought a Nikon D5000 and looking for an external flash. I plan to use the camera for pics of my dogs, holidays, etc. so no plans to become a professional photographer just yet!

So was looking for a decent flash but it doesn't have to be the best. The guy in the camera shop suggested the Nikon SB-400 or the pricier Nikon SB-600.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're enjoying the new camera even if it is a Nikon :p

I would recommend learning how to use the camera first before dabbling with Flash.
    Not too familiar with the Nikon Flashes but there are also Nikon compatible flashes made by Nissin and Metz.

E.g. Metz 36-AF4

I'm sure some Nikon users will be along and give you more/better information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thanks, yeah learning how to use the camera is proving more difficult than I thought! I think it would the understatement of the year to say I've made a big jump from my last one which I won't ever reveal out of sheer embarrassment!).

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have a couple of Nikon SB600s and find them very suitable for situations which you mention. They also work remotely via wireless from my D80s
    and D700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Can't go wrong with Vivitar 285's and some radio triggers.

I had an sb-600 and two 285's but broke the sb-600 a few months ago, nice little flash could be better with a PC port though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd look at a Yonghuo YN-560 from ebay -cheap as chips, and a great way to learn flash before deciding what speedlight (if any!) you want to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hi ButtersSuki, welcome to the forum. I would reccomend to visit http://lightenupandshoot.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=17 and pick up the V-Book they are selling, only costs €9 but it will give you some really good ideas and fundamentals behind flash in a really easy way to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just looked at the vid., looks great, will order that tonight methinks!

Thanks!

Advertisement