Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roche to Progress ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

ROK ON wrote: »
    ?

It is a reasonable question however given that his dad is suspected of having been among the first generation of pro cyclists to allegedly use EPO.

I agree that it is a reasonable question but not for that reason. He is a 26 year old man that is responsible for his own actions and achievements. To bring what his father did/didn't do 20 years ago is unfair on him.

Sadly, I think it is reasonable to suspect all cyclists at his level given the evidence of the recent past :(. Irrespective of parentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Let me be very clear - speculation about riders doping is not welcome here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

uberwolf wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916588&highlight=armstrong

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when was that added to the forum charter :confused:

or is it because its roche ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RobFowl wrote: »
    when was that added to the forum charter :confused:

or is it because its roche ?

Landis accusing Armstrong was a big news story in the media, it's not the same thing at all. It's mostly been frowned upon here. I remember specifically it was mentioned by a poster that he believed that Vinikourov was on the hot sauce and it was frowned upon then by a mod. So no it isn't just because it's Roche.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

RobFowl wrote: »

I know, I know. We've always tried to allow fairly free conversation about stories sourced elsewhere, when a story erupts about X or Y. But we can't just invent stuff. And we can't be seen to allow inventions happen. Because that is libel.

It's not perfect, and it's difficult to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I know, I know. We've always tried to allow fairly free conversation about stories sourced elsewhere, when a story erupts about X or Y. But we can't just invent stuff. And we can't be seen to allow inventions happen. Because that is libel.

It's not perfect, and it's difficult to police.

that's a good and comprehensive answer uber - could it be incorporated into the charter for clarity or is it already there excuse my ignorance

thanks

ps if any posts by myself above were out of order in that regard feel free to make ammendments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think that legal issues and patriotism aside, everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt w.r.t doping, which in practical terms (considering limitations of the testing protocols) means being assumed to be clean until something specific suggests otherwise. This implies (ironically and depressingly) that riders can be presumed to be clean until they start winning big, and therefore face the catch-22 of being considered either second-division or dirty.

With respect to Roche specifically, one would hope that a combination of genetic predisposition, family experience/connections and well-administered pharmaceuticals would produce something more than "pas de victoire" in 2010; from that perspective he lacks the exceptional results which might start to produce speculation. I also can't imagine a father with as much knowledge of the sport (and specifically the substantial health risks of doping) as Stephen would allow and encourage his son to enter the sport if he had any doubts about his ability to stay clean. He's also in a French team, which has to count for something.

So I'm firmly in the Roche is clean camp. Sorry if this strays into speculation, mods feel free to edit/delete if you see fit.

All that shíte aside, 26 isn't very old for a cyclist and some athletes develop faster than others. Andy Murray got slagged for years for his slow progress compared to Nadal at the same age but he's been bouncing around #2-#4 in the world rankings since 2008.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how Roche gets on in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

what does a facepalm mean? what does a double facepalm mean?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=face+palm

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

Not sure if this was posted before, came across it in the last few days while looking through the Sky Sports site, it's a blog entry talking about Nico, the main point I thought was summarised below:

Link ->http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16299_6638346,00.html
    The dilemma for Roche is, does he carry on aiming for a high overall placing, or does he shelve his GC ambitions and go for stage wins instead? In terms of publicity and profile, if nothing else, stage wins would be worth more than 7th overall, but perhaps less than a place on the podium.
    Roche is still only 26, of course, and - on the evidence to date - could have five years' steady improvement in front of him. I suspect he'll give it another season or two of aiming for GC, then decide what he's going to do with the rest of his career.

Would like to see him go for stage victories myself, and last year I was really impressed by him in the Tour/Vuelta. Shame about the whole TT thing, hope he's after working on that in the training camp in Aups. We'll see what happens anyway during the year :) I think this year will be better for Roche as well! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

"My first race will be Bessèges, then I'll go to Portugal for the Tour of Algarve and then GP Insubria, GP Lugano, Paris-Nice, the Tour of Catalunya, Paris-Camembert, Fleche and Liege, then Bayern-Rundfardt, the Tour de Suisse, [Irish] national championships, the Tour de France, San Sebastian and the Vuelta," he said.

He says his major goal is to win in Catalunya which I think will suit him as will San Sebastian. As I have said before in this thread he should focus on the shorter stage races and the likes of Liege, San Sebastian and Lombardia classics.
    We should get a good indication this year if he really is a future Grand Tour contender. Really looking forward to following his season.

On a different note anybody hear what Dan Martin's plans are for this year? I know about the Giro but I expect big things from this young man this season. Still a little too young to win the Green Jersey in the Giro but definitely a stage is on the cards (The Zoncolan would be something else!). Interesting to see if his nose surgery makes any difference to his allergies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Will he ever be competitive at the sharp end of the tour who knows but I would like him to have a go at the hillier classics the fleche, liege and even the ronde. but I guess the team see the TDF as the be all and end all.

I also would like to see him win!

Somebody said in an earlier message that they couldnt believe they dont have a a more scientific approach I think this is the norm for most teams. You probably think all pro tour riders have great coaches as well. Well they dont. Lot at Cunego and the absurd statements he made about using power as a guide for training. Funny he was winning when using power but now he is off the power he is a shadow of himself....

Anyway I hope all our lads do themselves justice next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I hope someday he is picked up by a more professional team. One that has coaches/trainers that use the latest knowledge and equipment. One that has qualified sports nutritionists. One that understands the importance of time trialling. One that insists on absolute loyalty to the team captain and the team's goals. One that is not French, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I don't care if he's happy as long as he's obedient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Did Gadret ever apologise for what he did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

going to be hard to overcome the Schleks in the TDF but long way off yet. Accidents and other stuff usually happens before and during the TDF.

I will be routing for him during the TDF and i think a podium finish is insight.
    Hopefully it be the maillot jaune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Did Gadret ever apologise for what he did?

Not sure but with everything that happened and the stuff Roche said about him in the aftermath it seems mad that they could even be on speaking terms!

Will we be able to follow his progress in the Etoile de Bessèges anywhere? Starts today, but I don't know if cyclingfans is showing highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

happytramp wrote: »
    Will we be able to follow his progress in the Etoile de Bessèges anywhere? Starts today, but I don't know if cyclingfans is showing highlights.

I don't see Roche listed as a rider in it. Only Irish I see mentioned are Philip Lavery and Ronan Mc Laughlin.

Yep, you're right. He was listed last time I checked but there seems to have been a change in plans. I'll keep an eye on An Post - Sean Kelly anyhow.

Advertisement