Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Kitty

Options
  • 19-09-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

My 5 month old cat had some leftover pieces of a cooked chicken last night. This morning, hes wretching and hacking as if hes going to be sick, but he never is. Hes also letting out a sort of low screeching sound when he does this! Other than this, he seems ok, but not as lively as normal.

I can only assume its a chicken bone lodged in his throath somewhere. Is there anything that can be done for him until I get him to a vet tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

phone your vet and get the number of the vet on call - cooked chicken bones can be lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Most vets have an emergency number, if you call the office there's usually a recorded message telling you who to call.
    I would be very worried if he had cooked bones and is making noises like you describe, cats don't show sickness unless its pretty serious and can go downhill fast.
    If a bone punctures something it could be very serious, please call the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Second the emergency vet. Foreign bodies can be lethal in any animal. They can puncture the oesophagus, press against the trachea and cause airway obstruction. I wouldnt wait if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Managed to get a vet to see him afterall. Could find nothing lodged in the throat. Hes had two injections and will need monitoring for 24 hours to see if he starts eating again. If not, it will be an xray tomorrow.

Its like he has some sort of virus but the vet wasnt sure.
    Ill keep ya posted, cheers all!

Advertisement