Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

girl glassed in Masons last night

• 19-09-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I was passing and saw guards outside but thought nothing of it (i though Masons was closed down) but I've since seen on Facebook that there was a girl glassed in the face while out having a cigarette..scarey town we're living in now when you can't go out without fear of getting a glass in the face..there are some scumbags surfacing lately:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was in Harveys last night and noticed a certain scummy element around. I guess it's because of the few places closing more people are packed into fewer places.

Having said that, I don't think it's different to any city to be honest. I'm sure if you were out in Galway, Limerick or Kilkenny last night you could have seen someone get glassed. I'd hope that's the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

We don't know the circumstances behind the glassing so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that we're all liable to get glassed every time we're out in town. Personally I don't go to Masons as I don't like the crowd in there at times but I wouldn't be worried about getting glassed if I did go there. These things happen rarely enough luckily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I remember a girl from my year in college getting glassed in the roxy about 10 years ago. Guaranteed its shocking and nasty stuff, but its nothing new really.The same type of scum that were around years ago are still around now. I think it just seems like its occuring more now cause its reported more than it was years ago.Waterford always had a rough element, think some people are only really seeing it clearer over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Meatwad wrote: »
    I remember a girl from my year in college getting glassed in the roxy about 10 years ago. Guaranteed its shocking and nasty stuff, but its nothing new really.The same type of scum that were around years ago are still around now. I think it just seems like its occuring more now cause its reported more than it was years ago.Waterford always had a rough element, think some people are only really seeing it clearer over the last few years.

yeah i think thats definitley it..with all the other stuff thats been going on around the town the last few weeks it just seems to be scumbagish antics i keep hearing about but you're right, it's probably always been going on

whatever the circumstances though i dont think there's any excuse for shoving a broken glass into someones face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Certainly not unique to Waterford, this sort of violence affects every town now, whether big or small. However, now that I think about it, when thinking about choosing a college in Waterford, I was told the town was rather "rough" (have never saw any proof of this when passing through though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Solution is easy- pubs should use plastic ones from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The best solution - Send off all those rotten scumbags to some island and set it on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

the towns a dump.......wanna be hard men/women......if it was put to them the **** would run down there legs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nolanger wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't drink in a pub that only used plastic glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

What's a plastic glass?, glass is glass, plastic is plactic.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Nolanger wrote: »
    Solution is easy......those who attack another with a glass or a bottle should be charged with attempted murder, and sentenced to 20 years in jail.

Think 20 years is severe?? You could easily sever a persons carotid artery with a broken glass or cause permanent brain damage with a bottle of beer.

Countless times down through the years you read in the Munster or the News and Star about some scumbag getting off lightly because he/she had a drink problem....and they had a poor childhood ....and their parents were alcoholics ...etc........................drive a car drunk and you get no sympathy..(and rightly so)....handle a broken glass while your drunk and yer outta yer mind and have diminished responsibility for your actions.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Adyx wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't drink in a pub that only used plastic glasses.

Not plastic glasses as they are crap to drink from, you can get glasses that shatter like a car windscreen into little pieces.

For me it's the absolute worst
    thing you can do in a fight context and I agree anyone who does it should he treated the same as if the stabbed the victim.

I think I have told the story here before but many many moons ago when I was a wee student it was christmass day in WIT and I saw one guy just pick up a bottle and throw is as hard as he could over his soldier into the crowd behind him. It hit sine girl in the face and the story goes that she was really ducked up after it and was gonna be badly scarred for life. Awful stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    I think I have told the story here before but many many moons ago when I was a wee student it was christmass day in WIT and I saw one guy just pick up a bottle and throw is as hard as he could over his soldier into the crowd behind him.

Yeah some people like to think they are like those heroin addicts in Trainspotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Begbie wasnt a heroin addict tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

kryogen wrote: »
    Begbie wasnt a heroin addict tbh

Your're right, I forgot, Begby didn't do drugs, Begby did people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thats terrible wat happened to the girl, hope she ok

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thomasm wrote: »
    Not plastic glasses as they are crap to drink from, you can get glasses that shatter like a car windscreen into little pieces.

Yes you can and many pubs in the UK have them because of people being glassed, the downside is they cost more so pubs won't buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I would have thought they'd be provided for free by the drinks companies. Branded of course.

But if it isn't a glass it'll be a brick or bottle or chair or whatever. Can't stop scummy behaviour I'm afraid.

The break away pint glasses would stop serious dameagr in some of the spur of the moment attacks I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

ziedth wrote: »
    For me it's the absolute worst
    thing you can do in a fight context and I agree anyone who does it should he treated the same as if the stabbed the victim.

I would have thougt that piercing someone's skin with a sharp object like a broken glass or bottle was the definition of stabbing. It seems to me that it ought to be anyway. At the very least it should be GBH, and depending on the context or on the location of the attack on the victim's body it maybe should be attempted murder.

eg the idiot who threw the bottle into the crowd and messed someone up should be GBH if it was a stupid result of a dumbass stunt, but the bollox who purposely breaks a bottle or glass and then stabs someone with it intentionally should definitely be done for attempted murder and have the book thrown at them. Hell is too good for some scum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

best cure for this problem ive found is to stay well clear, as someone who seems to attract this sort of scum ive found that country pubs and out of town pubs have a much better atmosphere and without the scum constantly hangin about looking for somethin to break or trash you get much better "craic" aswell, plus you cant beat the irish spirit of some of the locals. Long live the Killnaskullies of our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

I'm heading down to Waterford in November. Any advice would be appreciated. Which are the better pubs? Is there a Temple Bar (Dublin) like area in Waterford? if so, where is it? - so I can avoid it.

What kinda pub are you after? I would avoid the ones full up to the brim with teens dancing to ****e chart music but that might right up your alley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

PKen wrote: »
    I'm heading down to Waterford in November. Any advice would be appreciated. Which are the better pubs? Is there a Temple Bar (Dublin) like area in Waterford? if so, where is it? - so I can avoid it.

Wouldnt be as big as temple bar, but there is one area where all the pubs & clubs are, and there are some re-opening in October apparently. Thats what ive heard, can anyone clarify this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

John Street Village would be the name of the area branded as Waterfords Temple Bar in terms of night life. I wouldn't necessarily say stay away from it because there are some nice pubs there (although admittedly much less than there was) and also if you were to venture away from it, you'd find there's nowhere else really to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone know if the girl in question is ok?

If I was an outsider I wouldn't be coming to Waterford for a night out, the town is gone to the dogs. Some decent pubs on Ballybricken but it seems to me whenever I venture home that most pubs in town just blare music which is not my idea of a night out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

We don't know the circumstances behind the glassing so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that we're all liable to get glassed every time we're out in town. Personally I don't go to Masons as I don't like the crowd in there at times but I wouldn't be worried about getting glassed if I did go there. These things happen rarely enough luckily.

One of my daughters pals was stood at the side of Mason's & was struck by a stone to the head from a scumbag in a red teeshirt at the other side of the road a few months back.

When a guard arrived he done nowt to help, just took the injured girls details & saud they would pick whoever did it up on camera & be back in touch.

Two months, 18 stiiches & £100 Euro to Ardkeen A&E later ,there has not "been a word in Carrick" about the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The Guards are to busy chatting up women on a Saturday night to be dealing with anything like that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Thats what needs to be removed surgically from these hard men!

Advertisement