Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

what programming language does xbox 360 system use?

• 19-09-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

same as above

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Afaik xna uses C#.

If your thinking of getting into the programming side of things maybe post in the the software development forum here->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

a lot of games are made in c++/c#, XNA may be a good place to start for building xbox games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

C/C++ for most retail titles. C#/XNA is popular for indie and hobbyist developers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

To actually test your software on the Xbox, you can't use a normal one, you need to get an XDK (Xbox Developer Kit), and those xbox models alone cost several 1000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

To actually test your software on the Xbox, you can't use a normal one, you need to get an XDK (Xbox Developer Kit), and those xbox models alone cost several 1000 euro.

or use jtagged one which costs between €50-€250

• Advertisement

The exception being, of course, games designed using XNA which can be tested on a retail 360 with a Creators Club membership. :)

jtagged, haha yeah :) Well, I think if you're serious about developing and releasing it as well then you should go the official way and not use modded/hacked Xboxs.
    At the end it also comes down to licensing everything.

Edit:
    Yeah true XNA would be a good alternative. Also releasing stuff directly via Xbox Live Market without having real discs or massive publishers behind it.

jtagged, haha yeah :) Well, I think if you're serious about developing and releasing it as well then you should go the official way and not use modded/hacked Xboxs.
    At the end it also comes down to licensing everything.

Well in this case it is far more expensive than €1000. In this price you will get a dodgy devkit.

But you mention testing only - in this case jtagged xbox is enough.

As I said above, several 1000 euro :) I used to work for Activision, and the amount of money that goes out the window on licenses... ouch!

As I said above, several 1000 euro :) I used to work for Activision, and the amount of money that goes out the window on licenses... ouch!

my apologies the ;) I saw the price of 10k bucks somewhere, but I'm sure that companies like Activision get'em for free-ish.

• Advertisement

Something between 2500 and 5000 is what I heard. It's probably cheaper in bulk as well. But then again, I'm sure that 90% of the cost is pure license, then the hardware is very similar apart from the 2nd hard drive and the dev kit software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If it's hobbyist/amateur programming, then using a jtag'd machine makes sense. But if it's a commercial venture, it's obviously not the way to go. I doubt any publisher would touch you without the XDK licence anyway, as publishing unlicensed works means they'd have some liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is there any opensource projects for the xbox just to get a look at the source code used and the structure. I'm sure any of the big developers probably have their own version of a langauge.

Dymo wrote: »
    Is there any opensource projects for the xbox just to get a look at the source code used and the structure. I'm sure any of the big developers probably have their own version of a langauge.

I highly doubt that any developer studio creates their "own language". Bigger developers create their own engines though. I'd say these 3 are the biggest and most known:

Valve -> Half Life engine
    Epic Games -> Unreal Engine
    id Software -> IdTech Engine (originally Quake engine)

It's a question of engine and not programming language.

Why not start using the unreal engine (download UDK for free), mess around with it on your PC and then try port it to Xbox. I'm sure you'll find the appropriate help in the UDK forums for Xbox ports.

The UDK doesn't support consoles and since you don't get the source code, you can't port it.

Well that's strange since almost every game that comes out on PC using the Unreal Engine (3) is available on Xbox and PS3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games)

That's because the UDK isn't the standard Unreal Engine. It's a free version which you can use to play with and, should you decide to release your game commercially later, it's one which can be easily licensed from Epic.

The downside is, as I mentioned above, it doesn't contain the source code nor does it support consoles. The latter being rather obvious for most hobbyist developers. :)

Alright, I see, that makes sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

In college I developed a small game using c#/ xna. Best bet is to get yourself a good xna book. Teaches you how to write code to work with 360 controllers etc.

Advertisement