Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Gog Gone

Options
  • 19-09-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

See what i did there?

http://www.gog.com/
    Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
    GOG.com Team

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's a shame. I always wanted to get stuff off it like the earlier Fallout games, but I only turn on my windows PC like once every six months so never much use :(. Definitely say it's difficult to run a classic PC game service, much more so than the success the consoles enjoy. Hopefully they'll be back with a new model and some success!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

****, I have a good few games bought from them and haven't got them backed up. Very disappointed that the service didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Rumours are it's a marketing stunt for the transition from beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Mantel wrote: »
    Rumours are it's a marketing stunt for the transition from beta.

Theres something strange about it alright. They guy behind it is reassuring people on twitter that everything will be fine...hmmmm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The rumour is that the DRM free games will no longer be DRM free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I don't care if they used cracks for Arcanum or whatever other games, I miss them already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, at least we'll always have Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If this is some sort of marketing stunt/ploy/joke/whatever, then it's a very poor one. One that would make me seriously consider never using them again.

If its genuinely them shutting down, then that's sad, because it was a great site, with some great games at great prices.

I'm very disappointed in the way the notice was given. Although if we can download our purchases after this as the latest update seems to say, then that'll be lessened somewhat.

Latest news:
    gog.com wrote:
    UPDATE 20.09.2010
    First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
    If you have a GOG.com account you'll be informed about all the news concerning GOG.com.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeeks
    better make sure i download my old games so, i was planning on a replay of blood and blood 2 soon enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

If this is some sort of marketing stunt/ploy/joke/whatever, then it's a very poor one. One that would make me seriously consider never using them again.

If its genuinely them shutting down, then that's sad, because it was a great site, with some great games at great prices.

I'm very disappointed in the way the notice was given. Although if we can download our purchases after this as the latest update seems to say, then that'll be lessened somewhat.

Latest news:

It's very strange. They had their last deal only on thursday, then they closed the site the following day. Why do a deal that would generate more sales if you were closing the next day?

I still have a few games on my account that I haven't downloaded yet.

• Advertisement

Yeah, its weird. No emails to their users is what is making it the strangest for me. It just doesn't fit with all the work they've done up until now - which has been top drawer. This just feels wrong.

New video on the website and an announcement in the next few hours:

Look very closely. Baldurs Gate?

I think it's pretty much confirmed that the site is just going out of beta and this is a publicity stunt with a **** load of new games on the service.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's pretty much confirmed that the site is just going out of beta and this is a publicity stunt with a **** load of new games on the service.

I saw that alright. Very strange, but backs up the feeling that something\someone is acting the tit somewhere.

Very odd form of publicity stunt, really, if that's the case. Annoying all your users, they'll have lost a lot of goodwill - especially for a site renowned for being straight with their customers. I wonder how they expect to make it back up to those people who are (rightly) miffed at this - including myself.

Though I suppose if they keep providing a great service with lots of great new games, most people will forgive them, they'll get a lot of publicity and all will be forgiven.

We'll find out soon. New announcement in 20 minutes. I'd say it's a site relaunch with the system out of beta and a load more publishers on the band wagon. Could be a steam like service even and maybe with DRM though. Just speculation at this stage. If they get Planetscape Torment up there and maybe System Shock 2 I'll forgive them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Planetscape Torment

943182047d1249721477-happy-birthday-frank-facepalm.jpg

I already have PlaneScape through *cough* other methods *cough* but I'd gladly get it from GoG, if they manage a full install properly (i.e. they don't eff up and forget to point a text file towards cd2's contents)

I already have PlaneScape through *cough* other methods *cough* but I'd gladly get it from GoG, if they manage a full install properly (i.e. they don't eff up and forget to point a text file towards cd2's contents)

Me too. I have the disks on my shelf but its a pain in the h**e re-installing them, editing the .ini file etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

I wonder what's coming up, DRM on the games? I could see them trying to implement some sort of games subscription service(think audible, but for games not audio books).

Anyway kinda sad at the news, a few games I still had to download and many more that I meant to buy.

Well, there we go. Just going into Beta:

First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here 4 videos where you'll find all needed information on current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

I think they really really misjudged people on this one and didn't expect the backlash online. I doubt they'll really lose that many people though, and will gain a lot more users as the publicity from this has grown.

I'm really disappointed in them and they've lost a lot of credibility, but I suppose I'll get over it so long as they keep providing the same great service. Still, they've apologized and it seems genuine, fair enough.

Must be from the Michael O'leary school of pr.

• Advertisement

I've heard they have the D&D license so launching on thursday with Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 and (drool) Planetscape Torment? I'll forgive them.

Planetscape Torment? I'll forgive them.
    Planetscape Torment?
    Planetscape

:rolleyes:

Why can't I be excited? Everyone is telling me I have to play it. Here's my chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

because it's Planescape not Planetscape

grammar-nazi.jpg

Oops.

Give me a break, I was always too cool for Dungeons and Dragons and never went near it :)

I've been calling it Planetscape for years now! I'm a dope.

Oops.

Give me a break, I was always too cool for Dungeons and Dragons and never went near it :)

I've been calling it Planetscape for years now! I'm a dope.

Don't worry Retro, I still haven't played Panzer Dragon Saga either....

Btw, broadcast when you get PS:T, I'd love to replay it myself, a synchronized playthrough would be great.

Will do. You know in the contexts of where the game is set, Planescape makes a whole lot more sense :)

Neverwinter Nights 2

Any Neverwinter Nights (1)? Or Ice Wind Dale :) They're a bit older than NWN 2.

Rumour also includes neverwinter nights 1 and the icewind dale games. That is if there's any truth in it but with baldurs gate hinted at it's seems very likely. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

• Advertisement

So GoG is back, out of beta and the servers are getting hammered. They also have Baldurs Gate with the expansion up on their to buy list with hopefully more to come.

Advertisement