Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Gog Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So GoG is back, out of beta and the servers are getting hammered. They also have Baldurs Gate with the expansion up on their to buy list with hopefully more to come.

Hopefully they sort BG2 and Planescape Torment too so.

I've never bought a game off them before, does it download expanded and ready to play like Steam or do I have to do an install?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's nothing like steam, you just download basically a cracked version of the game and install it. It's a fantastci system with no DRM.

Will get my Fallout games later. Just went through their catalogue. Have to get me Outcast, cannon fodder, commandos, heroes of might and magic and Baldurs Gate and a few others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was about to buy Baldurs Gate last night when I remembered that I still have a boxed copy + expansion that I bought years back. Wasn't sure if it'd work on windows 7 64 but I decided to try.

Installed (all 5 discs) and it ran perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was about to buy Baldurs Gate last night when I remembered that I still have a boxed copy + expansion that I bought years back. Wasn't sure if it'd work on windows 7 64 but I decided to try.

Installed (all 5 discs) and it ran perfectly.
    Isn't there also some sort of texture upgrade you can down load for that, to give the graphics a bit more umph?

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't there also some sort of texture upgrade you can down load for that, to give the graphics a bit more umph?

Yeah somebody posted about that here a while back. Must see if I can dig it up. It does look a bit 'dated' now.

EDIT: Think this is it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055229143&highlight=Baldurs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not really a texture update more it lets the game run in a higher resolution so everything is smaller but less blockier. It does show up how good the prerendered art was in these games though, they still look great.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not really a texture update more it lets the game run in a higher resolution so everything is smaller but less blockier. It does show up how good the prerendered art was in these games though, they still look great.

yep. its the only way I run the Infinity Engine games now.

I don't like mods that change the gameplay or textures significantly but the widescreen mod just takes advantage of better hardware without changing the experience of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Seems the "prank" did them no harm. Twenty times their previous record traffic was recorded yesterday, allegedly.

Hands up, who bought Baldur's Gate?

Seems the "prank" did them no harm. Twenty times their previous record traffic was recorded yesterday, allegedly.

Hands up, who bought Baldur's Gate?

nope. the weakest of the pair. Holding out for BG2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Has anyone else had problems getting Septerra Core to run? I've tried it on Win 7 and Win XP with no luck.

OT: It was a crappy stunt, but it won't stop me using the site. Especially if they keep putting on the special deals. Already have BG though. Is Fallout:Tactics any good? I know it's different to FO 1 & 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Personally, I love Fallout 1 and 2 but I amn't a big fan of Tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ànyone got the Baldurs gate from there? If you can play it on Windows 7 with a decent resolution, i'm sold.

Decided to boot up Baldurs Gate 2 today and ended up playing most of the day. Got sucked right back in.

Once the high res mod is applied it feels quite modern.

They really don't make games like it anymore. Huge game in terms of playtime, complex battle system, deep story.

Baldurs gate, planescape torment and icewind Dale, the Golden Era of RPGs.

Ànyone got the Baldurs gate from there? If you can play it on Windows 7 with a decent resolution, i'm sold.

Their forums say it works with windows 7 and since you are downloading a cracked version of the game it's free to be modified as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Seems they are releasing more Atari/Hasbro games in the future. The Atari/Hasbro is the clue, atari own the rights to the old D&D games while Hasbro own the current rights to D&D videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Got myself some money today as well :)

Mantel wrote: »

omg omg omg omg omg omg.

i definitely think a boards playthrough is required for this.

don't forget to go widescreen folks... (see my thread here).

pstlarge6.jpg

I have to say the prerendering is absolutely gorgeous in that game, and I usually hate prerendering (Donkey Kong Country, barf!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

quarryman wrote: »
    omg omg omg omg omg omg.

i definitely think a boards playthrough is required for this.

don't forget to go widescreen folks... (see my thread here).

pstlarge6.jpg

What resolution can it go up to?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it at 1680x1050 at the moment, and it looks surprisingly good. I still prefer Baldurs Gate 2 though.

Ah s.h.i.t.e! I only bought a boxed version of planescape on ebay last night.

Although, the widescreen mod doesn't work with the GOG version of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

If the Widescreen mod doesn't work, it seems I will be keeping my alternative copy.

I'd seriously buy this if it supported the Widescreen mod and all the fixes and unfinished business mods etc.

EDIT: Huh, it seems they now officially support Windows 7 :D

Although, the widescreen mod doesn't work with the GOG version of the games.

where did you read that?

According to users on the GOG forums it works fine.

quarryman wrote: »
    where did you read that?

According to users on the GOG forums it works fine.

After I installed my boxed version of baldur's gate on Sunday, decided to install the mod. I was browsing the support forums for the mod and there were one or two threads from people saying they couldn't get it to work with the GOG version. They just got an error stating unsupported version.

The mod creator replied saying it wasn't supported and he didn't have any plans to add support himself. Although he will add them in if others create them.

After I installed my boxed version of baldur's gate on Sunday, decided to install the mod. I was browsing the support forums for the mod and there were one or two threads from people saying they couldn't get it to work with the GOG version. They just got an error stating unsupported version.

The mod creator replied saying it wasn't supported and he didn't have any plans to add support himself. Although he will add them in if others create them.

That's a pity.

Well it works for PS:T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bought PST today and installed widescreen/high res mods.

framerate seems off to me even for such an old game. Anyone else experience this?

Supposedly this mod works with Baldurs Gate:

http://athkatla.cob-bg.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3257

I'd check a youtube video and compare framrates maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Advertisement