Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career In Fashion Photography

Options
  • 19-09-2010 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm a keen photographer and I normally shoot portraits or nature photography (landscapes, macros etc..) I've always wanted a career in fashion photography I'm only 15 but I'd love to know in advance where to start. Do you need some sort of qualifications? what to study in college? Where should I be looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You don't need a qualification, just the guts to say/think you're good enough. The main thing is to keep on taking photos, it's brilliant that you know at such a young age that's something you're into.

Get you friends, friends of friends, models out and taking lots of different shots.

As for college, technically you don't have to do (I'm not saying don't) but you could study photography, fashion design, clothes etc etc.

I think the most important thing for you at the moment is to get out shooting people. Also, if you're near Dublin/Limerick you could head along to a strobist meeting and see how people shoot. You'd also get the chance to shoot some models if you where interested :)

Dublin & Limerick strobist pages on flickr.

Hope that helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

kjt wrote: »
    You don't need a qualification, just the guts to say/think you're good enough. The main thing is to keep on taking photos, it's brilliant that you know at such a young age that's something you're into.

Get you friends, friends of friends, models out and taking lots of different shots.

As for college, technically you don't have to do (I'm not saying don't) but you could study photography, fashion design, clothes etc etc.

I think the most important thing for you at the moment is to get out shooting people. Also, if you're near Dublin/Limerick you could head along to a strobist meeting and see how people shoot. You'd also get the chance to shoot some models if you where interested :)

Dublin & Limerick strobist pages on flickr.

Hope that helped :)

Oh Brilliant, do you know where the strobist meetings take place in Dublin? and what there really all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

.Conor. wrote: »
    Oh Brilliant, do you know where the strobist meetings take place in Dublin? and what there really all about?

They're in different places every month, the next one being planned is going to take place in Powerscourt, Wicklow.

We all go out and take different types of shots with models, make up artises, stylists etc. People who have a business for the past 5/10 years in photography, all the way down to people who only bought a camera weeks ago turn up. Nobody thinks their better than anyone and it's a great learning experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Joey L seems to be doing quite well. No formal training and he's only 20. http://www.joeyl.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I say it's more being "good" at it and pushing for clients and publications. You need to make sure to have a kick-ass portfolio, so I would defo recommend Kjt's suggestion for the Strobists shoots - I hear they are great fun and very learnfull. That way you can build up your work, ensure it is varied and shows all sort of different poses, images, lighting etc.

Also, start working with stylists and mua (hair and make-up) as they will be a very important asset to your shoots, and if you find someone you work well with and who you can rely on, it will make your life a lot easier.

Finally, on slighty un-related note, I find that with fashion photography, a lot of photogs tend to up on the glamour side of things (i.e. page 3, Maxim, Zoo-ish shots). Make sure the set-up stays classy if you want to come accross as a high-fashion photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

similar to what nSarah said:

if you want to shoot fashion - keep the clothes on !! - fashion is about clothes ...not nudity.

learn about posing, lighting and background ....find places to do fashion shoots - try different things, shoot from above, below....bend and break the rules of photography - bring deliberate flare into the image.

Be different - Be yourself !..... find your own style and keep going with it ....eventually someone will appreciate your style and you will become known for what you do - not who you are !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

there are specific degrees/qualifications in fashion photography in the uk. some wouls argue these are pointless but if you're keen on giving college a go or having a structured programme or meeting like minded individuals it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Like anything in creative arts, a degree doesn't promise success, it can be useful for networking but its much more important to keep practicing, studying and researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For Fashion Photography you need really good confidence and excellent people skills, thats even before technical ability. Portfolio is v important too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

All the advice above is sound and I won't repeat it.

As for study, you will most likely be freelance and a big factor of how well you get on will be how you manage your business. It's an inconvienient truth that most of your time will be spent doing the mundane stuff but the better you do it the more likely you are to be a success. So you may want to look at doing Business Studies while you work at your Photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Borderfox wrote: »
    For Fashion Photography you need really good confidence and excellent people skills, thats even before technical ability. Portfolio is v important too

Just to add to that: that will be your main issue. You might be THE best fashion photographer in the world - it means nothing if nobody knows you. So you have to be prepared to pimp yourself and your work, be able to convince people without pushing/spamming them and make sure you have financial means to survive the first couple of months if and when you start off.

Cabansail makes a very valid point too - keep in mind you are the sole responsible for accounts, VAT, copyright, ensuring you play it by the book (model releases etc.) so very important to keep on top of that at all times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement