Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords CC Sportive (26th Sept)

• 19-09-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Anyone planning on taking part in the Swords CC Sportive (linky)?

Will CI day licences be available on the day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Anyone planning on doing this on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I had vague plans to do this but I forgot about it and have arranged to go for a spin in Wicklow with a friend. Might still do it if he cries off but would need confirmation on the availability of a one-day licence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

http://www.clonardroadclub.com/tourmeath.shtml

Also on this weekend, and no licence required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Am trying to get confirmation re this event and licences etc. I'd say 1 days will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

hoping to be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi All,

One day CI licences will be available on the day (€10 + Entry fee €15)

Start time 08.30am Ballboughal GAA.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Hi All,

One day CI licences will be available on the day (€10 + Entry fess €15)

Start time 08.30am Ballboughal GAA.

Thanks for that. Hope to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Am I right in Saying that is a hammerfest Sportive aimed at racers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Was thinking of cycling an easy 100 this weekend, clonard is 50km away ... that's be 200 ...unless i just do the 50km spin... MMmm Might do my own thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I think this is the 9 hills one. Plenty of lumpy hills that will eat into your legs and as with all sportives it there will be a hammerfest if you want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »
    I think this is the 9 hills one. Plenty of lumpy hills that will eat into your legs and as with all sportives it there will be a hammerfest if you want one.

It takes in every hill of note in NCD pretty much.

Am I right in Saying that is a hammerfest Sportive aimed at racers?

I didn't know this. Is this the case? If so may have to give it a skip, d'oh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

snollup wrote: »
    I didn't know this. Is this the case? If so may have to give it a skip, d'oh!

I did it with BCMF at our own pace last year. The front group certainly hammered it but the back groups took it far more sensibly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

was on my to do list because close to home but have to go away for the week to look at wedding venues for next summer. bloody miseries started already

RobFowl wrote: »
    I did it with BCMF at our own his pace last year. The front group certainly hammered it but the back groups took it far more sensibly...
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sammca

This is a 9 hill challenge that will be approximately 110kms. Think that you know North County Dublin? Well this route will confirm it and afterwards give all a few idea's for that testing sunday run in the middle of winter.

The hils included in the Sportive are as follows and not in any specific order:

The Man-o-war ( an aperatif )
    Ardla ( from the bridge at Skerries )
    Bellewstown to Snowtown Cross ( a little lumpy)
    The Jack Stones ( Men of the Ras did it in the BIG Ring and the 16 sprocket)
    Alp d'Bellew ( tightens on some of the corners at the top)
    The Coombes Connor ( a Classic and as wide as a flandrian lane, Paul Deans can confirm)
    Cork Screw Hill ( 20% at the start) ( Compact or not that is the question !)
    The Naul Telegraph ( Straight up )
    The Bog Berg ( The legs know why )
    The Nags Head.

Start and Finish from Ballyboghill GAA club

This is the chance to get one over on your training mates at the end of the year.

Sign on from 0830 am with the bunch leaving at 0930. For safety will split the bunches up to max 15 per bunch. Refuel stop at Ballewstown Quarry. Bars and gels avaialble beforehand.

This is a tough course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

oh god

Sunday: "Dry, Fine day with good sunny spells. Cool with highest temperatures of 12 - 15 degrees in light breezes"

Should be a nice day for a cycle then? ;)

looks like I might be able to get this in as airline is about to go to bust and theyve cancelled my flight for sunday morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Looking forward to this.

Is there a map of the route anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

chakattack wrote: »

Mapmyride from last year here

You need to zoom in to work out which way it goes (you should be passing my place just after 10)

Beasty wrote: »

You need to zoom in to work out which way it goes (you should be passing my place just after 10 and you are more then welcome to stop in for a cuppa. The more the better)

:p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One day soon, bcmf, but not this Sunday....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eoin9288

This is a brilliant route and a good solid hit out. Awesome. Did it last year followed by watching Cadel win the Worlds. What a top day! Won't make it this year as am comitted to mtb marathon nationals in Ballyhoura.

You need to zoom in to work out which way it goes (you should be passing my place just after 10)

Cheers Beasty,

You're not riding this so you can provide refreshments and mechanical assistance at your front gate right? :pac:

Cheers Beasty,

You're not riding this so you can provide refreshments and mechanical assistance at your front gate right? :pac:
    yeah he is thoughtful like that.
    AFAIK it passes my house as well and there should be cake left from the kids party the day before.

Cheers Beasty,

Encouragement, that's all you're going to get from me:

"move it you lazy feckers"
    "you call that a hill? just wait for the one round the corner"
    "only 122km to go"
    "turn left at the T-junction;)"

... and the like:D

You swords lads are just too generous ;)

Is there a free tow around the course on offer too?

"turn left at the T-junction;)"

......If ya tell them to turn left at the T-junction up the road from you chaos will ensue. I dare you!!

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this.

There is also a map on the swordscc website. Click on the map and u can use the "garmin player" which will guide u around the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Toto1978

Is dis a 110K or a 140k???

as far as I am aware there are 2 distances. A 7 hill challenge and a 9 hill challenge. It stays the same till the climb from Stamullen towards Ardcath. The shorter one takes a left while the longer one keeps straight.

Looks like the Ballyboughal to Corduff road is still closed, so I guess there will be a slight diversion at the start

The really good news is they have just resurfaced the road up to Man O' War - this was probably the worst bit of road on the course, but is now in pristine condition (still gravel as the road is not completely finished, but as you will be going uphill here it should not be a problem)

Who knows, that bit of road may even find its way back into a club league circuit next year

wheres the gaa club in ballyboughal coming from the swords side? debating on cycling over or taking d car at d mo but dont have a clue where start is

neris wrote: »
    wheres the gaa club in ballyboughal coming from the swords side? debating on cycling over or taking d car at d mo but dont have a clue where start is
    Zoom in on the MMR link I posted earlier - it's where the start/finish is shown - basically carry on past the R129 - Oldtown Rd (left) and the road to Lusk (right) and the GAA club is another 200m or so on the left, as you are leaving Ballyboughal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Thanks to Sam and the Lion of Fingal for another great event. Weather was perfect, some savage hills. Particularly taking us up the Nags Head twice was a bit sadistic.

midonogh wrote: »
    Thanks to Sam and the Lion of Fingal for another great event. Weather was perfect, some savage hills. Particularly taking us up the Nags Head twice was a bit sadistic.
    But you were witnessed taking a short-cut to avoid the steepest bit of hill on the course - I think you should be made to do the whole course again next week:D

great day for it. pleanty of route ideas for winter training after that and lots of nice little hills. did get a little lost and took a sneaky short cut at naul after a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

But you were witnessed taking a short-cut to avoid the steepest bit of hill on the course - I think you should be made to do the whole course again next week:D

We were not "cheating", just bridging the gap between the groups. I went up Tougher last Sunday on a mountain bike with my son on the back, surely that counts for a something. Is that the steepest hill? There were hills that felt worse - The hill from Duleek up to Bellewstown and up the Nags Head from the Bog of the Ring circuit

midonogh wrote: »
    Is that the steepest hill? There were hills that felt worse - The hill from Duleek up to Bellewstown and up the Nags Head from the Bog of the Ring circuit
    It hits 16%+, but only for about 2 metres:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

"only 122km to go"

I'm sure I heard you shout this from your garden gate as we passed. I was in new Boards kit and shouted back "Hi (first name)"

Excellent day out, thanks Swords CC.

Advertisement