Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I haven't read all of this thread yet but I will do.

Just a comment or two before I lose track. Obviously I'm not a Games CMods any more but I still love the Games category <3:D

1. Some Games forums for specific games should stay. For example, right now there is a Call of Duty game released every year and even now posters are still talking about COD4 (the best COD game ever ;)). MW2 gets plenty of discussion and everyone is eagerly awaiting Black Ops :) Some of the Game specific forums could probably go alright but the mods themselves can talk with the CMods about that.

2. Regarding PC versus Console gamers.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Again, was never a problem before.

Eh, what? When I first came to the COD forum it was full of PC Gamers telling Console Gamers how crap they were at the game, how poor Consoles were compared to PCs and how great the PC was compared to everything else in the world!

It was so bad that I had to hardwire a clause into the Charter to make console slagging a bannable offence!

I'll probably be back with more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its being reviewed by the admins now (I was talking to Dav about it tonight at the web awards)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Funny, I was about to bump this myself this weekend.

Things are still a mess really.

Four Fallout 3 New Vegas threads.
    Here
    Here
    Here
    and here.

There is no reason not to have all of these as one thread in the Games forum. I see some of the usual knee-jerk reactions of certain people requested a forum just for the game. :rolleyes:

At least FOUR F1 2010 threads spread across the forum despite there being pretty much no platform-specific discussion. I need to check all of them in case i miss out on any interesting discussion.

2 Minecraft threads discussing the same thing.

Medal of Honor threads everywhere.

Since I started this thread the general consensus seems to be a complete clean out and a removal of the unused sub forums.

Someone please fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Report them or PM a mod

This thread is not for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

quarryman wrote: »
    There is no reason not to have all of these as one thread in the Games forum. I see some of the usual knee-jerk reactions of certain people requested a forum just for the game. :rolleyes:

A valid point well made, this upcoming single fallout game sparking a request now and never before for a forum really is just :rolleyes: yekno!

:rolleyes:

We have started the first phase of the Games Category cleanup. Games threads from the first 3 pages of the Xbox, Nintendo and Playstation forums have been moved to the main games forum, and threads have been merged where appropriate.

We'll give this a few weeks to bed down before the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hold on a second, why are games exclusive to playstaion/xbox being moved into the general games forum?

Is there a post somewhere that outlines what exactly the plan is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Was wondering why there seemed to be more threads than usual in the Games forum. Good to see something is actually being done now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hold on a second, why are games exclusive to playstaion/xbox being moved into the general games forum?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I think that the main games forum is for discussing all systems and the console forums are for console specific technical problems? Could be wrong.

And yeah, is there a post ro thread that explaisn exactly what's going to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's a work in progress, but in a nutshell, game discussion whether exclusive or not will be discussed in the Games forum.

Perfect example was there were 4(I think) Fallout: New Vegas threads running at the same time. So, people were going backwards and forwards through all threads in case they missed a piece of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You even moved a PS3 Plus Beta discussion to it as well and a thread on how much MS is spending on Kinect advertisement not on the games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mutliple game threads i understand, metal gear solid, resi5 type forums i totally understand. Moving all games into 1 forum i don't understand, well i do but you'll have one huge forum where you'll have to go through several pages to find the relevant thread. Threads will be lost and more new ones will be started off. Much easier as a noob who just got a specific console to go to that console forum and check out what games he wants and discuss the games he might have instead of having to search or trawl through several pages to find the appropriate itiles.

And what varik said about the kinect and Ps3 beta.

This is stupid, really stupid.

I can't believe this is going ahead.

By the end of all this if you sit there refreshing the games forum you will see 20 new threads each time because of the ammount of discussion going on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lads, it's only been a few hours (actually, an hour and a half), and as stated previously, this is only Phase 1. If it doesn't work, it can be put back the way it was. If it starts to go bad in later Phases, it can be undone. This move cannot and will not please everyone, but it's worth trying to see if we can please the majority of people. I really doubt it's going to be a case of merging all the subforums or anything drastic like that

I would imagine that all the busiest subforums will be retained in some way so as not to cause overloading or too many megathreads on the main games forum. But come on people, be fair and give it a chance.

Was this a unanimous decision? Because I seem to see a lot of people objecting to it.

Can a new thread be started detailng what exactly is being done as I thought this thread was just discussing the need to change the structure of all forums

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's was only 1 game forum before and there was no problem with it. Anyway it can be changed back if it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's was only 1 game forum before and there was no problem with it. Anyway it can be changed back if it's not working.

How long ago was this?

Phase 1 was just changing where certain threads should be posted right?, of course having 4 threads on the same thing is not good but it would have been better to just have the multi-platform and PC kept in the games thread.

Now where did i park my truck also what's the internet equivalent of gates.

Yes exactly, before the site got bigger and had a need for more forums.

As I have said previously in this thread I agree with a merge of some kind, but not an overhaul.

This is why I would like some transparency in what exactly is being implimented in 'phase 1' 'phase 2' etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tallon wrote: »
    Yes exactly, before the site got bigger and had a need for more forums.

As I have said previously in this thread I agree with a merge of some kind, but not an overhaul.

This is why I would like some transparency in what exactly is being implimented in 'phase 1' 'phase 2' etc...

I don't know if there is a full plan drawn up yet or anything. More likely that Phase 1 has been implemented, and based on how that goes, a better decision can be made for Phase 2 and what that would entail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Pretty much what Tallon said. The console forums been up since i can remember and gaming has gotten alot bigger over the years. Change was needed but ye seem to be going from extreme to the other. See how it works out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw my Playstation forum is barren like the wastelands of Fallout!

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only time will tell, for me, if this is better. I guess trading all the same-again technical problem threads, for mixed games could work.

I'd love it to be tidy, tidy, tidy. If it looked all nice like this..

FIFA 11
    Demon's Souls (PS3 Exclusive)
    Transformers
    Price Of Persia
    Alan Wake (Xbox 360 Exclusive)
    EA MMA

And didn't look like this...

FIFA 11
    Demon's Souls (PS3 Exclusive)
    Recommend me a game...
    Transformers
    Price Of Persia
    best FPS eva
    Alan Wake (Xbox 360 Exclusive)
    EA MMA

*The reason I would add the exclusive tags is so people don't get all excited reading up about a game they don't have the console for, but that's not a big deal.

Like right now a few threads down there's one for 'pc graphics cards'... Is that the kind of stuff that's going to be mixed in here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Grayditch wrote: »
    Like right now a few threads down there's one for 'pc graphics cards'... Is that the kind of stuff that's going to be mixed in here?

No, we usually wouldn't get that kinda thing. It's in the wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think it's just the lack of transparency in what is being done that people are getting grouchy over. Since we don't know what will come of the console-specific forums - whether they will be just for tech. discussion or not - people are then unsure about console exclusives being in the main forum.

Perhaps as part of Phase 1, you could have implemented the topic prefixes similar to Call of Duty and Soccer...

A lot of people seem unhappy with the change.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :)

I think a happy medium would be to move platform-exclusive games back to their original forums.
    I'm swamped in work at the moment, so I'll review everyone's comments tonight.

Edit: By the way, this isn't an ad-hoc change just for changes sake. This is based on feedback from this (almost 300 post) thread, a thread in the Game Mods forum, a thread in the CMod forum (and no doubt, a thread in the admin forum). On a site this size, there are always going to be people unhappy with certain changes. Hopefully we can find common ground that everyone is happy with.

Mr E wrote: »

Well that was the general athmosphere of this thread which is why I don't understand why you's went ahead with it

Ah, right.

I know people like to chat about things related to games (xpos, magazines etc) but I'd love it if this was titles only.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

I think a happy medium would be to move platform-exclusive games back to their original forums. Swamped in work at the moment, so I'll review everyone's comments tonight.

I wouldnt split yhe exclusives. That's more mess. As I said, I think there's room for every game, exclusives too if this section was literally for TITLES only.

Advertisement