Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tallon wrote: »
    Well that was the general athmosphere of this thread which is why I don't understand why you's went ahead with it

I don't have an issue with the current layout. No harm in trying it first. I don't see why there should be so much negativity about it. It reminds me of the adverts.ie makeover :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well that was the general athmosphere of this thread which is why I don't understand why you's went ahead with it

No it wasn't.

I suggest you read back through the thread.

The consensus was that there was no need multiple threads on the same game in different forums.

The Playstation, Xbox sections should be for console specific topics. All game discussion should be in the Games forum.

This is a great first step, keep it up.

Next up should be the dead sub-forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mr E wrote: »
    Edit: By the way, this isn't an ad-hoc change just for changes sake. This is based on feedback from this (almost 300 post) thread, a thread in the Game Mods forum, a thread in the CMod forum (and no doubt, a thread in the admin forum). On a site this size, there are always going to be people unhappy with certain changes. Hopefully we can find common ground that everyone is happy with.

Agreed, the feedback has been that something needs to change. 4 threads talking about the same Game is just dumb.

Its worth noting that the poeple who are unhappy are generally the minority that will pipe up to complain and skews the impression of what the users actually think.

When it was changed to add console forums a few years back the majority before AND after disagreed but it was carried out anyway. This is fixing what was broken before IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a happy medium would be to move platform-exclusive games back to their original forums.
    I'm swamped in work at the moment, so I'll review everyone's comments tonight.

That's what was the original plan for the console forums. It went out the window quite quickly. I say keep it as a general games discussion forum for te time being and see how it goes.

Changing the description of the forums will help For example Games should be described as all general gaming discussion and for example the Playstation description should be changed to matchmaking, tech threads, game discussion in the games forum.

Also the games forums gradually got smaller and we lost a lot of regulars after the creation of the console specific forums which were implemented despite the idea being shot down unaminously everytime it was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I don't think it's the vocal minority pipping up, it's the people who dropped into their regular forums to see everything messed up, me included. Console exclusives should be kept to their console specific sections.

Never saw a problem with it the way it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, I'm reserving judgement until after the changes are made to see how they play out.

My only gripe was that it seemed to be a discussion on possible changes and suddenly changes were being made without saying exactly what they were. A seperate thread notice would have been nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is stupid, really stupid.

I can't believe this is going ahead.

By the end of all this if you sit there refreshing the games forum you will see 20 new threads each time because of the ammount of discussion going on

To be fair, I cannot imagine the activity levels surpassing those of the "After Hours" forum or the like. In anycase, this is where the "Follow Thread" option becomes useful to use.

In anycase as has been said already, this is only the first phase. We are trying as best we can to accommodate as many needs and wants as is possible. Naturally if things just do not work out then the plan of action will be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

From my own point of view i like the console specific forums as a topic in the games section usually gets a lot of PC comments that are of no interest to a console gamer. Having a call of duty thread in the xbox, ps3 and games section isnt a big problem as they are all seperate.

I would like to see the small splits for the sims/shooter/rpg games etc removed and all kept n the games or console specific threads.

But as long as the new layout is easy to navigate it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Can we be given some idea of what the other changes might be?

I read the first couple of pages of this thread (before giving up... I HATE MEGA THREADS and this isnt even mega) and some of the ideas reeked of idiocy (moving poker into the games forum stood out in particular).

PLEASE dont merge any active subforums into games for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Can we not keep the exclusives to the console forums? I agree with all the other cross platform games in the one section but to have Demon Souls, MAG, etc. here seems a bit silly when there's a PlayStation forum right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I think there would be a large number of posters either in the sub forums or more significantly the console ones who would not use the main games forum as it is at the moment.

Changes are going to effect a large number of them but I haven't seen effort in those forums to seek opinion on the matter.

My two cents : It's annoying following a thread on the same topic in two places. Bring on the changes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A lot of people seem unhappy with the change.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :)

I think a happy medium would be to move platform-exclusive games back to their original forums.
    I'm swamped in work at the moment, so I'll review everyone's comments tonight.

Edit: By the way, this isn't an ad-hoc change just for changes sake. This is based on feedback from this (almost 300 post) thread, a thread in the Game Mods forum, a thread in the CMod forum (and no doubt, a thread in the admin forum). On a site this size, there are always going to be people unhappy with certain changes. Hopefully we can find common ground that everyone is happy with.

I reckon most people are happy with the change, as was by far the majority view of all who have contributed to the thread up to now, I would not rush into anything just because the unhappy few are making the most noise this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dustaz wrote: »
    Can we be given some idea of what the other changes might be?

I read the first couple of pages of this thread (before giving up... I HATE MEGA THREADS and this isnt even mega) and some of the ideas reeked of idiocy (moving poker into the games forum stood out in particular).

PLEASE dont merge any active subforums into games for gods sake.

Those were only suggestions from users and yes a lot of them like getting rid of the Fighting games forum (more popular than the main games sectionput together) and the poker forum which could be it's own forum entirely were silly but they are only suggests. As far as I can tell no active communities will be touched and I even doubt that the inactive ones will be changed.

The Megathreads will only be used to contain the initial flurry of interest in new games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wasnt broken, no need to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like this idea in theory, as things were spread a bit too thin, but inevitably some threads will just end up being a list of questions on how to run x game on a pc. Maybe a PC forum could be added to the 'consoles' section (its just a name, I know, I know, pc>consoles, yes yes.) for that kind of thing, the same way the PS and Xbox forums have tech questions about their consoles?

If this has been suggested numerous times before, its a long thread and I'm busy. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I would prefer not. Games in the Games forum.
    Can we add prefixes to this forum and then they can be used on exclusive only titles.
    Any non-exclusive with a prefix gets it removed.

Let's give it time to see how it goes.
    Has to be better having one thread per game instead of scouring all fora looking for info.

I like this idea in theory, as things were spread a bit too thin, but inevitably some threads will just end up being a list of questions on how to run x game on a pc. Maybe a PC forum could be added to the 'consoles' section (its just a name, I know, I know, pc>consoles, yes yes.) for that kind of thing, the same way the PS and Xbox forums have tech questions about their consoles?

I haven't seen a thread or post on people having trouble getting a game to run on a PC in years? I very much doubt it will be a problem and anyway these should be seperated into it'sown thread really. Just report it and I'll sort it out but I can see this being the total non issue it always was.
    F1ngers wrote: »
    I would prefer not. Games in the Games forum.
    Can we add prefixes to this forum and then they can be used on exclusive only titles.
    Any non-exclusive with a prefix gets it removed.

Let's give it time to see how it goes.
    Has to be better having one thread per game instead of scouring all fora looking for info.

To be honest the way things have gone I see no reason to do this. Thought the clean up would be initially a total cluster **** initially but all that's happened is the Games forums got a bit busier and there's only a small few complaints from some playstation regulars. Anyway time will tell and we still have the after work/school crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm all for Multiplatform and Exclusives (With prefixes) Section. A GAME section. Despite some small problems, it would work

Mixing it with General Games talk threads? So ugly and messy.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm all for Multiplatform and Exclusives (With prefixes) Section. A GAME section. Despite some small problems, it would work

Mixing it with General Games talk threads? So ugly and messy.

Wasn't a problem before but we'll see how it goes in the next few days. It could indeed get very messy and if there's a problem it can be changed. We'll know very quickly if it's going to get unmaneagable. The next two weeks are going to be awfully busy for game releases so we can see how maneagable it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think I'm missing something, but why should exclusives need a prefix? If a game is console exclusive it'll only be talked about by those interested in it just like every other game, won't they?

• Advertisement

I think we are all intelligent enough to know that Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 are PS3 exclusive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think we are all intelligent enough to know that Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 are PS3 exclusive :)

Won't someone thinking of the newbies????!!! :pac:

For the little time it would take, I just think it would be nice. A lot of people I've talked to still think they are getting Gran Turismo for the 360 :D

If someone makes a new thread about an up and coming game, one of the first thing they'll say is "So, this is an (whatever) exclusive, I just think it would be better for people who don't have said platform, while browsing, if it's in the title. It's just a suggestion.

There'll be less "OH MAN, those screens shots! I cant wait to get this game for the.. ah pants" and more... "wont be clicking THAT so :("

Or ..post.. fix (?)

Medal of Honour (PC/360/PS3)
    Halo 3 (PC/XBOX)

I dunno.

Grayditch wrote: »
    If someone makes a new thread about an up and coming game, one of the first thing they'll say is "So, this is an (whatever) exclusive, I just think it would be better for people who don't have said platform, while browsing, if it's in the title. It's just a suggestion.

Just correct them and call them dopes... without the personal abuse. I think that most of the regular and semi regular users have more cop on or else I've been giving you lot too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So all games that aren't shooters, rpg's, MMO's, strategy or simulation games go into the games forum now............what does that leave us with? platformers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I haven't seen a thread or post on people having trouble getting a game to run on a PC in years? I very much doubt it will be a problem and anyway these should be seperated into it'sown thread really. Just report it and I'll sort it out but I can see this being the total non issue it always was.

Fair enough, I've only seen it pop up a handful of times anyway, I was more expressing my lack of concerns than voicing that as a major issue.

In other words...I approve of this new direction! I think a central forum is a much better idea. Following 3 different forums is a pain the rear. Just don't move all retro games from the retro forum retr0! :P

If a new game comes out it the thread won't be moved. The game, franchise and genre specific forums are there for the community. There might be a CoD forum but feel free to talk about the release of Black Ops on here for example. If it's a community related topic it will get moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ShaneU wrote: »
    So all games that aren't shooters, rpg's, MMO's, strategy or simulation games go into the games forum now............what does that leave us with? platformers? :pac:

Shooters and Sims that aren't from certain series.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it is a good idea.

I'm still down with the Pre or Post-Fix. I'll know if someone it posting about a new game to avoid it of it has (Wii) after it. :D

Advertisement