Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there a way to have the "my forums" show what has new posts, i would not mind the changes it that could be shown but only now and then does a forum shown as new as in bold as used on the forums themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, it is a good idea.

I'm still down with the Pre or Post-Fix. I'll know if someone it posting about a new game to avoid it of it has (Wii) after it. :D

Leave the Wii alone you :P It's got a lot of fantastic games on it but they're the ones nobody buys. Who knows, the new forum might open your eyes to the delights of Muramasa, A Boy and his Blob, Little Kings Story and De Blob! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah, no I have a Wii.

I still think it's a good idea, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    and the poker forum which could be it's own forum entirely were silly but they are only suggests.
    The Poker forum should be nowhere near a Computer Game category of forums. 'Games' should be renamed and the incongruous forums dumped elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well we'll see and there's nothing stopping people adding a prefix but I'm not going to enforce it. I don't think it's really needed tbh. I think most users will know what's coming to their system and sure all it takes is one post asking about it to set people right.

• Advertisement

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    The Poker forum should be nowhere near a Computer Game category of forums. 'Games' should be renamed and the incongruous forums dumped elsewhere.

Yes but Poker has gotten so massive now that moving it is going to cause trouble. Anyway the games category was always for videogames and real world games since it's inception so according to that charter it's not out of place.

Yes but Poker has gotten so massive now that moving it is going to cause trouble. Anyway the games category was always for videogames and real world games since it's inception so according to that charter it's not out of place.

How much trouble it would cause is irrelevant to whether or not it should or shouldn't be moved and it should be moved (it isn't silly to suggest it). That might have been understandable three decades ago to group all games together, but it isn't now. If a rule is stupid, it should be broken: because, since the inception, something has been one way is no argument for keeping it the same. Poker has more relation to the Sport section than Game section; that's true of decades.

Let's put this in perspective. This is a thread to help the 'Computer Game' category (doesn't exist of course: tells its own tale) become more user-friendly for the 'Computer Game' community. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum?

Well in the games drop down menu we have not just poker but also miniature gaming, roleplaying (not just covering CRPGs but also LARPGing and tabletop RPGs) and also toys and board games. The drop down menu is just games and it has always covered gaming as well as realworld gaming. Arguing if poker should be classified as a game or sport is a different matter entirely.

If the Poker forum users want their forum moved then they cango about it themselves, we aren't touching their community and have no right to.

Unless you are mistaking this games forum centralisation move as the general gams forum swallowing up real world games as wel because this isn't happening. As far as I've been told these seperate communities are staying as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This is a crazy solution to a little problem, no need for this mass bundling. A pc section is more what we need.

"Microsoft Spending Half a Billion on Kinect Launch" thread should be in the Microsoft Consoles/Xbox section, surely. That's like talking about a new Wii controller, or something. Quite specific. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just trying to get an idea of what we'll be seeing here.

• Advertisement

I think new consoles and stuff like kinect and move discussion is fine for the games forum. Console forums should be tech issues and matchmaking only. Actually I'm going to move the 3DS thread as well since it's not getting loved in the Nintendo forum and belongs here.

Any gaming news is also fine to be put in here.

It seems like a lot to cover but even busier forums like neogaf have no trouble keeping up with the same format. Lets see how it goes.

Well in the games drop down menu we have not just poker but also miniature gaming, roleplaying (not just covering CRPGs but also LARPGing and tabletop RPGs) and also toys and board games. The drop down menu is just games and it has always covered gaming as well as realworld gaming. Arguing if poker should be classified as a game or sport is a different matter entirely.

If the Poker forum users want their forum moved then they cango about it themselves, we aren't touching their community and have no right to.

Unless you are mistaking this games forum centralisation move as the general gams forum swallowing up real world games as wel because this isn't happening. As far as I've been told these seperate communities are staying as they are.

I've already said that everything not related to 'Computer Games' should be removed and put elsewhere which includes the sub-forums you mentioned. Moving the Poker forum to another drop-down menu isn't going to affect their community, if there is still one there. Its sub-forums are neatly in one main forum. Moving Poker from 'Games' to 'Sport' should be an obvious change; the only relevant question is if the webmasters can change it.

And, you didn't answer my question. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Just a point here:

The Games category is not just for computer games.

Poker stays where it is.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Just a point here:

The Games category is not just for computer games.

Poker stays where it is.

Then create a 'Computer Games' category for the 'Computer Game' community. You're more than welcome to answer this question, too. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Then create a 'Computer Games' category for the 'Computer Game' community. You're more than welcome to answer this question, too. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum?
    The games sub-forum is the computer games section. There's little reason to change it, in fairness.

And moving the poker forum would cause more hassle than it's worth, and it'd also be the decision of the poker community.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I don't think it has any effect whatsoever, just don't click on Poker on the dropdown menu. There's also a Toys and Boardgames forum, and a MTG forum. None of these to my knowledge hinder any of the computer games sections.
    So we won't be creating any new categories at this time.

And, you didn't answer my question. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum?

There's a lot of problems with this forum. Firstly the Poker forum is probably the biggest and most active forum on boards. It's huge. As a videogame mod it would be very rich of me to make any changes to probably the biggest and most active community not just on boards. I've got nothing to do with the Poker forum and would rather leave it up to the Poker forum users to decide what should be done with their forum. I don't have any right or should have any right to say what happens to the poker forum.

This community is so large and active that there will be uproar if it's changed let alone changed by people that have no active role in the forum at all. I'm happy to let the users of the forum to decide it on their own.

Also, a very big also, the Poker forum was set up and is very popular with the owner of this website. I think he would know if there's anything wrong with the forum orif it needs moving.

In my own opinion I don't think it needs moving because the Games category doesn't just cover videogames and I wouldn't classify Poker as a sport although I do recognise the skill that goes into playing it properly.

Well is that Kinect thread the official/only Kinect thread here, then? Or will there be a Kinect Delayed, Kinect On Sale Tomorrow thread allowed too? Bit weird.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Well is that Kinect thread the official/only Kinect thread here, then? Or will there be a Kinect Delayed, Kinect On Sale Tomorrow thread allowed too? Bit weird.

If the kinect thread is still around I'm sure it will be included in the kinect thread. If the kinect thread is long dead then start a new thread. It's going to happen a lot more organically than you think. There's no need to dig up months old dead threads unless you want to. You didn't do it before, you don't have to do it now.

Wow, a post I made in Games yesterday is 5 pages of shíte back, Unsub'd, Bye

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »

No need for hyperbole, yesterdays posts start at the very top of page 3 and this is the first day of moves.

Ha, yeah, to be fair loads were moved over today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

PogMoThoin wrote: »

No it isn't.

You didn't post anything yesterday. You posted something 2 days ago and its at the bottom of the second page.

Busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sonic 4 thread is still in the sega forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

just a quick question.

I want to ask a question on a game that's only available from xbox live arcade.

does this still go in games or?

Goes into Games.

humanji wrote: »
    The games sub-forum is the computer games section. There's little reason to change it, in fairness.

And moving the poker forum would cause more hassle than it's worth, and it'd also be the decision of the poker community.

It isn't the 'Computer Games' section; otherwise all the other 'Computer Games' forum and sub-forums would be included. Unless your argument is that Fighting Games and Arcade & Retro and the dozen other forums don't revolve one or more 'Computer Games', there isn't a unified category.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I don't think it has any effect whatsoever, just don't click on Poker on the dropdown menu. There's also a Toys and Boardgames forum, and a MTG forum. None of these to my knowledge hinder any of the computer games sections.
    So we won't be creating any new categories at this time.

Everything has an effect in design: that's indisputable. So, you either think that a Poker forum is a help or hindrance to a 'Computer Game' user browsing this category. It is a hindrance to a 'Computer Game' user to have Poker, Miniature Gaming, Toys & Boardgames positioned on the main category page. It means taking the position of a more relevant forum to 'Computer Game' interests and it means extra scrolling to the many 'Computer Game' sub-forums on the bottom of the page. It helps users who have an interest in both 'Computer Games' and Poker/Toys/et cetera, but that's putting the cart before the donkey. If that's allowed I wouldn't mind the Soccer forums included in the Games section. However that makes as much sense as a Poker forum included in a category with 'Computer Game' forums, which is absolutely zero, currently.
    There's a lot of problems with this forum. Firstly the Poker forum is probably the biggest and most active forum on boards. It's huge. As a videogame mod it would be very rich of me to make any changes to probably the biggest and most active community not just on boards. I've got nothing to do with the Poker forum and would rather leave it up to the Poker forum users to decide what should be done with their forum. I don't have any right or should have any right to say what happens to the poker forum.

This community is so large and active that there will be uproar if it's changed let alone changed by people that have no active role in the forum at all. I'm happy to let the users of the forum to decide it on their own.

Also, a very big also, the Poker forum was set up and is very popular with the owner of this website. I think he would know if there's anything wrong with the forum orif it needs moving.

In my own opinion I don't think it needs moving because the Games category doesn't just cover videogames and I wouldn't classify Poker as a sport although I do recognise the skill that goes into playing it properly.

You still didn't answer my simple question. Do you think grouping a Poker forum into a Computer Game dominated category helps or hinders a user of the 'Computer Game' community to browse this forum? I don't have a clue what relevance any of that has to do with the suggestion to categorize 'Computer Games' as separate from Poker, Toys et cetera, and I suspect you couldn't tell me either.

Your argument counters itself: if it is up to Poker users to decide what should be done with their forum, then it is up to Computer Game users to decide what should be done with their forums and dominated-category. As you have failed to answer my simple question twice and Sliverfish failed to argue that it helped or that it didn't hinder, it should be obvious that 'Computer Games' users should not have to shift through forums that have no relevance to 'Computer Games' because two experienced users (category moderator and admin) cannot provide a logical response to the question of how it helps.

I wouldn't call Poker a sport (labeling a competitive game a sport is more about validating rather than accurately describing it), either, but it has more relevance in a Sport category than it has in 'Computer Game'-dominated Game category. Again, if a rule is stupid, break it. It has no connection to common-sense to claim that 'Games' category doesn't cover just 'Computer Games' in a category which is dominated by 'Computer Games' as a defense for not separating 'Computer Games' and Poker et cetera. Understand that we're not talking about physical space: it's just easier to conceptualize moving a few 'real-world games' forums out of the category rather than moving all the 'Computer Game' forums into its own category.

No need for hyperbole, yesterdays posts start at the very top of page 3 and this is the first day of moves.

Well page 3 the, its still cluttered with shíte in here. Its a huge step backwards for Boards, not forwards. Games forum used be nice with lots of threads about best games, fav games, best cut scenes etc, not specific to any console, say bye bye to these as the forum fills with console games that should be in their own forums

• Advertisement

Your argument counters itself: if it is up to Poker users to decide what should be done with their forum, then it is up to Computer Game users to decide what should be done with their forums and dominated-category. As you have failed to answer my simple question twice and Sliverfish failed to argue that it helped or that it didn't hinder, it should be obvious that 'Computer Games' users should not have to shift through forums that have no relevance to 'Computer Games' because two experienced users (category moderator and admin) cannot provide a logical response to the question of how it helps.

+1

Advertisement