Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Mr E wrote: »
    Contrary to the whole thread, my friend.

Sorry, but the thread is not one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Tallon wrote: »
    Sorry, but the thread is not one sided.

Maybe not one-sided, but it definitely seems at least 80/20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm taking cover, you could cut the tension in here with an e-knife :eek::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So how does everyone feel it's going? I don't mean speculation that it's all going to degenerate into a mass of fanboy bashing and bring about the coming of the anti-christ but some genuine user feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

It's about the same amount of discussion, maybe less, as before. This thread being the only truely active one.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So how does everyone feel it's going? I don't mean speculation that it's all going to degenerate into a mass of fanboy bashing and bring about the coming of the anti-christ but some genuine user feedback.

I think it was a good move in principal, but it's made the console forums very negated as a byproduct. To be honest, there's no need now for four forums that were once active (PS, Nintendo, Sega & Xbox). You could dump current topics now from those into one forum, but then again that would be an untidy solution.

I think maybe give those forums back the system exclusives, in order to perhaps warrant their existence. It's either that, or turn four (well three) forums into ghost towns at a cost of cleaning up the main games forum. To be honest I'm kind of stumped as to where it goes from here, the admins/cmods have some important choices to make, but the fact they've phased to tranistion to evaluate the change was a great idea & I'm confident they'll do whats best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think it was a good move in principal, but it's made the console forums very negated as a byproduct. To be honest, there's no need now for four forums that were once active (PS, Nintendo, Sega & Xbox). You could dump current topics now from those into one forum, but then again that would be an untidy solution.

I think maybe give those forums back the system exclusives, in order to perhaps warrant their existence. It's either that, or turn four (well three) forums into ghost towns at a cost of cleaning up the main games forum. To be honest I'm kind of stumped as to where it goes from here, the admins/cmods have some important choices to make, but the fact they've phased to tranistion to evaluate the change was a great idea & I'm confident they'll do whats best :)

My recent viewing trends would agree with this.

I use to view the console's threads and not so much the games thread, now all my viewing is gone into the games threads while hardly giving the console fora any attention at all.

When I have thrown an eye in they have seemed pretty quiet.

The upshot is I'm viewing a lot of threads I would have normally missed on the games thread.

I think as enter said a happy meduim would be to give the console forums back their exclusives to generate a bit of traffic so other threads in the console forums will get some attention also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with giving backthe system exclusives is that just like before we will end up back very quickly at the same situation we had before when the console for were created. The console forums were always meant to be for exclusives only but that became impossbile within a month. I think it's best to have them all here, It's not like they are going to get swamped and they will get more traffic anyway.

The problem with giving backthe system exclusives is that just like before we will end up back very quickly at the same situation we had before when the console for were created. The console forums were always meant to be for exclusives only but that became impossbile within a month. I think it's best to have them all here, It's not like they are going to get swamped and they will get more traffic anyway.

Would it not be just a case of the console mod's just moving the non exclusive thread to the games forum, the same way they would move any thread not created in the correct forum?

I wouldn't be worried about threads getting swamped, I would be just concerned with the console forums diying a deadth because the only reason to view them now is for technical discussion, which is fine it just seems to be making them pretty quiet.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the change tho, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I think it's great. I only have to look in one place now pretty much for active threads, and I feel like discussion is perhaps a bit more active, I guess it depends on the thread in question.

I'm also much more inclined to use the 'Follow thread' function now, to make sure that I don't forget about a thread that might drop off the first page quickly. Sure thats what the 'Follow' function is for and it's how I use other larger and more active forums such as NeoGAF.

I don't quite understand the mindset of people who don't think PC and console users can co-exist. Sure most of the active members in the gaming forums own multiple if not all platforms. Grouping us all together makes for a melting pot of awesome. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well we were toldby the admins that the console forumswould be for platform exclusivetalk only be all gametalk should be in the games forum. However you got newbies starting threads in the console forums, the threads not getting moved and it looking like it was common practice and then within a month the place was a mess. I'd rather have quiet console forums and one very active games general discussion forum then the alternative and platform exclusive games are going to get more discussion in a general games forum.

Well we were toldby the admins that the console forumswould be for platform exclusivetalk only be all gametalk should be in the games forum. However you got newbies starting threads in the console forums, the threads not getting moved and it looking like it was common practice and then within a month the place was a mess. I'd rather have quiet console forums and one very active games general discussion forum then the alternative and platform exclusive games are going to get more discussion in a general games forum.

Give the mods a raise? :pac:

ntlbell wrote: »

I've just given myself a 300% raise for my sterling moderating. Why am I earning the same though? :)

ntlbell wrote: »

I agree, it's only down to tightening up on moving threads if thats the case. It's a cheap way to restore functionality to those forums now that have been hit hard. As I said, I agree in principal, what bothers me is the robbing peter of three forums to pay the paul of one.

You might prefer it that way Retrolius, but there were active communities in the console fora that seem to have been culled. Maybe I'm wrong though & they've migrated here instead...and if that's so then there's no real harm done. I'm not watching the change that closely to see if the console regulars are here now, but if they are then well & good I suppose thats a success. But if they're not here, then it might be a more harmful change than first thought.

I'm a firm beliver though in retaining active forums, so to justify keeping the console forums alive, I feel it's the right decision to give the system exclusives back to those forums as a test. If the modding needs tightening up for moving threads etc, then as I said, it's a small price to pay to keep those communities somewhat alive. In that case, all the forums are getting the benefits, not the way it seems now where one forums traffic has increased, at the expense of three of four others.

I don't see why these communities if indeed there were any can't move here though and benefit from a much richer experience. I don't see any benefit from moving exclusive discussion back to seperate forums and at worse will just cause confusion and make things worse again. Keeping discussion here would keep everything neat and tidy and promote richer discussion. I don't see any need for exclusive games being moved back and I'm pretty much against it. I dodn't notice anycommunity really in the console forums and if there was I don't see how moving here will be worse unless they want to complain about sharing a forum with PC gamers whch is nonsense tbh. If it works in massive forums like Neogaf why segregateit here and go back to how it wasn't working before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All hardware news and discussion should be in the respective console forum not the games(there is a psp go importing thread in games) and clan/community stuff should still be in the receptive forums. Some step to reduce the traffic and post in the games section would help. I'm fine with Exclusives being in the games section if for nothing more than to piss off fanboys that may not have gone to the specific console forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Games for games forums unless of course there's a specific named forum for it already. Any hardware related questions go to the related console or tech forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I see some of the smaller unused forums are still around.

What's the plan in culling them?

Wolfenstein (No posts in 2 1/2 months)
    Unreal
    MGS
    Resident Evil

Surely these could be much better served with threads here in the Games Forum.

Elder Scrolls
    The Sims

No reason for separate forums for these.

There's no plans or talk about culling sub forums yet. We're just concentrating on how this works. I know some forums like the elder scrolls, MGS and resident evil forums are ridiculous but at the moment it's not happening. Culling smaller forums is a bit more sensitive due to some having small but active communities.

Keeping discussion here would keep everything neat and tidy and promote richer discussion.

Well it does and it doesn't. Have a look at the Playstaion & Xbox forums now, I can see a huge difference and by no means was I a regular in them. Double & treble threads about the same games had to be dealt with there's no doubt there & I agree about them moving to this forum. But the end result albeit better for the Games forum, has ultimately left us with three of four (depends whether you consider Sega active or not :p) forums that have been culled of any real discussional topics. The current setup here, means there's completely no need need now for those forums. While that may be, it raises the further issue of what to do with the purely tech discussions left within them? The level of posting would seem to indicate the forums are no longer required, & in doing away with them, we have to wonder are we reducing the scope of possible discussion in doing so?

Like it or not, for now, the console forums are a part of the Games category, & as such it's not rocket science to discuss a PS£ exclusive in the Playstation forum. Cross platform discussion in games, exclusives in whatever console forum they belong to. I don't see an issue with that, and as I said, gives those forums back some meaning & retains the scope of possible discussion.

If not, as I said, we've culled those communities to 'tidy up', and there were communities there Retro, maybe small ones but there were definite personalities/atmospheres in each forum. If they've moved here though, then mission accomplished. If not, we may have taken a step backwards here.

• Advertisement

Well I never saw any need for the console forums in the first place so I don't seeit as a biggie if they aren't as active as they were because the games section of boards was a much worse place since they were created and their creation was a step backwards one that was not needed and unaminously not wanted. This definitely wasn't my idea exclusively either far from it.

Well I never saw any need for the console forums in the first place so I don't seeit as a biggie if they aren't as active as they were because the games section of boards was a much worse place since they were created and their creation was a step backwards.

Well to be fair to you Retr0, I wasn't around for that change that I can remember so you may be entirely right there, good point. All I can offer though is my own view on it. To my eyes, there were unique personalities to each of the console forums that seem to have been lost since the merger. All that's in them now is tech/problem posts, & thats a real bore even to someone like me who enjoys that from time to time.

If games are for games full stop, we really need to look at the relevance of the console forums in that case. My suggestion at least throws a life line to them, & if they can prove their worth then it's no harm done, & a lot to gain.

Well I don't see why those personalities can't migrate here and I also don't see why exclusives need to be in a seperate forum, games are games no matter if they are only on one platform. If you like games and have the money you'll own more than one platform.

Personal opinion here but I don't think the console forums need a lifeline and doing so is only going to confuse matters on where to post and trust me, we'll end up back at the situation we created this diecision to get out of. My belief is that the console forums aren't needed and a console tech forum would be all that's needed to stand in for them al but that's a different storyl. They aren't needed on the massive sites, why do we need them here? The creation of the console forums led the games forum from being by far and away the best games forum I ever used into one that haemorraged a lot of very good contributors and regulars very quickly. I don't see anything to gain from passing on exclusive threads to the console forum other than to yet again segregate the community and make the site a pain to navigate. The console forums already proved their worth and their worth was they did more harm and did nothing good in return in my opinion. The big dedicated and excellent nintendo community that was here pretty much vanished beause of the split, which was the biggest loss for me. I'd rather discuss exclusives with gamers and not in an enviroment that can breed fanboys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A quick, perhaps impossible technically, suggestion. Now, I am liking the change, but I do see where people are complaining that the console forums have gone dead, which they have. Now, Retr0, I agree with you in prinicple that harmony is a good thing, but I also think it's a shame others are feeling alienated - a minority, perhaps, but valuable community members too. So, perhaps to alleviate the ill feelings, would it be at all possible to have console exclusive threads hyperlinked to in their respective forums? So say we have a thread on Demon's Souls (which we do!). Perhaps the same thread could show up in both the games and PS forums, if you get my drift. So then those who aren't a fan of the mega games forum still have their community they can participate in, while the fans of what we now have don't have to worry about it either. Is it pointless? Perhaps it would be a redundant move, but it would keep both forums busier without splitting the discussion. It would be a form of inclusion, minus the exclusion! If it's kept to exclusives, then there wouldn't be any worries of PC / console mingling (worries which I personally feel are completely unfounded, but clearly a concern for others). I don't know if it is possible technically, and as I said yeah I'm sure it could be viewed as a completely redundant exercise, but just trying to think up compromises here!

I has a question.....say for a game, let's take MoH on PC, you have in game names that people add. Is there going to be a seperate thread for game names for this or are they to be included in the mega therad? It only really exists on the PC & wii whereas the other 2 have their PSN/Live tags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I has a question.....say for a game, let's take MoH on PC, you have in game names that people add. Is there going to be a seperate thread for game names for this or are they to be included in the mega therad? It only really exists on the PC & wii whereas the other 2 have their PSN/Live tags.

I'm pretty sure everyone agreed to keep 'matchmaking' threads format specific - so anyone wanting to play MoH on Xbox would use the Xbox forum. It does, of course, bring up the issue of PC, and where that goes. Hence the suggestion for a 'PC' forum, which I'm certain isn't the most beloved idea on here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think matchmaking threads are meant to be posted in the Console forums. eg. With MOH, threads could be made in PS, Xbox (and PC if a subforum is made) for matchmaking ("Add me for a game" or "Good Game last night"), whereas discussion of the actual game will be in the Games Forum

I'm not sure if it's possible and I'm sure if it isn't a good portion of code in the site needs to be written to impliment it. I think that ut'sutterly pointless though. This move isn't excluding anyone. We are still discussing the exact same thing just in a different place with a wider audience now. There's no exclusion there. Really, is moving to this forum really that big a deal or are people just being awkward. As far as I can see there'smaybe 5 people in a vocal minority that have expressed concern about this move and a hell of a lot of troublemaking for the sake of it from the rest. This move wasbrought in because the mods saw overwhelming support from the users to get rid of what was a totally unwanted change to begin with and what was seen by the old school postersand what I think was all over the moderators as damaging and unneeded change to boards.

Now this wasn't solely my decision, far from it, I'm only giving my opinion so I don't want people jumping down my throat thinking this was all my fault. this was discussed with all the moderators and then passed on to the admins to discuss as well. I'm sorry to the genuine vocal minority but the saying you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs comes to mind. If there really is a massiveamount of posters totally unhappy then speak up and there might be cause for concern but as I see it there's none/ All I can say is try out the new arrangement, it works in every other site, why not here. It's a lot better than when the console forums were created where the thread about them had almost every user of the boards here totally against them and talking about how every time it cameup it was unaminously shot down. I thought that the change would be a bit of a mess but in my opinion it's been totally smooth sailing and pretty much an unmitigated success with little to no trouble.

Matchmaking threads go in the console forums. If you want to match make on the PC there's a massive boards.ie steam group. The Wii's friends code system is an absolute mess and I've tried to keep up with in on the nintendo forum and just gave up. Still you can start a wii friends code thread in nintendo.

• Advertisement

Now this wasn't solely my decision

Lies, I remember from the moderator forum that it was your way or the highway. It was the reason I had to step down. :pac:

Advertisement