Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sisko wrote: »
    What is the next phase? I sure hope its not killing communities like the Fighting games section and the tactile shooter section :eek:

I feel the tactile shooter forum is clutching at straws lately so it'll be touch and go for it

How so Sisko? Just a feeling really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The "Tactile" forum. So relevant people don't even know what it's called :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Again, killing off sub fora is not on the agenda.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

quarryman wrote: »
    The "Tactile" forum. So relevant people don't even know what it's called :)

Why are you so against the tactical shooter forum and other forums you don't like /use/whatever. I can't see how they impact on you. Just don't click on them. Plenty of them have great communities.

Offer something positive for a change instead of just calling for sub forums to be culled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bambi wrote: »
    I feel the tactile shooter forum is clutching at straws lately so it'll be touch and go for it

That tactical shooter forum still has a community and its own server paid for by boardsies. It might lull at times, but thats just until some new community made content or even a new patch appears and the flocks return. We still play a few nights a week.

Why are you so against the tactical shooter forum and other forums you don't like /use/whatever. I can't see how they impact on you. Just don't click on them. Plenty of them have great communities.

Offer something positive for a change instead of just calling for sub forums to be culled.

Where did I say I didn't like the Tactical shooter forum? I only discovered it existed at the start of this thread.

My point above is that it's hardly a key games forum if people don't even know the correct name for it.

As regards something positive. The whole purpose of this thread is to make a positive change to Games discussion. The change so far has been great and it's showing an improvement in the community already.

You on the other have just appeared to moan, offered nothing constructive when the change was suggested, claimed you made a post you never made stating it was further down the pages than it was. And you were caught out on it. If anything sir, it's your posts that have been negative. Right from the start.

Please don't accuse me of disliking forums or not being constructive. The games forum has suffered over the last few years, at least I got up off my ass to try do something about it. And so far, it's worked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

You have brought up the tactical shooters in every list of forums you have wanted cut. Why does it need to be cut just because it's not a "key forum". It may be for a quite a few people, me included. I don't want tactical shooters to be lost among the games discussion forum. A mega thread wouldn't suit it as there are too many different aspects to it and it would be impossible for new players to have to search through a single thread to find out what addons, mods etc, let alone install them.

Removing all the sub forums is not bringing a positive change, it will destroy the smaller communities here.

You have brought up the tactical shooters in every list of forums you have wanted cut. Why does it need to be cut just because it's not a "key forum". It may be for a quite a few people, me included. I don't want tactical shooters to be lost among the games discussion forum. A mega thread wouldn't suit it as there are too many different aspects to it and it would be impossible for new players to have to search through a single thread to find out what addons, mods etc, let alone install them.

Removing all the sub forums is not bringing a positive change, it will destroy the smaller communities here.

Ok, took a quick look at this "community". There seems to be 3 maybe 4 regular posters on it and 2 of them are you and PogmoThoin. I count only 5 people that have created threads there since it was created.

Why not bring your discussion into the Games thread, it would be great to see a few threads in here on Arma. If the community is that lively then your threads shouldn't get "lost" right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I made a mother fucking typo and that means its not a key games forum?

Quarryman you wanna kill off Irish gaming communities or what? Do you even understand what type of game ArmA is?

Killing the forum and demanding all discussion of such a niche and very specific type of genre take place in a section where all games are discussed would be hugely damaging for the irish scene.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    I made a mother fucking typo and that means its not a key games forum?

Quarryman you wanna kill off Irish gaming communities or what? Do you even understand what type of game ArmA is?

Killing the forum and demanding all discussion of such a niche and very specific type of genre take place in a section where all games are discussed would be hugely damaging for the irish scene.

LOL, kill off Irish Gaming Communities. What are you talking about?!

There is no gaming community here! Its you four guys making a few posts each a week!

Separating a specific game discussion into a subforum should be done for 2 reasons:

1. The game has so much traffic it outgrows the parent forum.
    2. The game belongs to a category that has so much traffic it outgrows the parent forum, eg Fighting Forum.

Neither of these apply to the Tactical Shooter forum. Its not like users have swarmed into it, thankful that all the threads they were making in a General Games forum can now be discussed with its huge following in an area all to itself.

Even the Fallout thread here has had more posts in the last few days than the Tactical Shooter forum has had in the last month!
    If you took all the posts that have been made in Tactical Shooter in the last month they would comfortably fit in one page in one thread.

Look at this objectively. How about the Oblivion forum. My favourite game of all time. I still play it. There'll be another game released in the series soon enough. Do I think it needs a separate forum? No. Do you?

The forum should never have been created, there isn't enough traffic to justify it. I'm sorry if you feel its niche and specific but that doesn't mean it needs its own forum.

Ok, took a quick look at this "community". There seems to be 3 maybe 4 regular posters on it and 2 of them are you and PogmoThoin. I count only 5 people that have created threads there since it was created.

Why not bring your discussion into the Games thread, it would be great to see a few threads in here on Arma. If the community is that lively then your threads shouldn't get "lost" right?

Its annoying You that its pc exclusive?

It has no place in the games forum. Arma isn't a game, is nothing like a game, its very much a simulator, much like FSX or iRacing isn't a game. People with high end i7's and 5870's even struggle to play it at times its so demanding. People build rigs and update components just to cope with playing it better. People buy gadgets, flight controllers and TrackIrs to enhance their gameplay on it. If You go back through the history You'll see that it was renamed from the Opflash forum which has been here since 2002. It has its place, just like the racing sims forum and flight sims forums have.
    10 people contribute €7 per month towards a server, we played and won a competition a few months back. I admin the server and keep people posted about whats happening, hence I created most of the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You can hardly compare the Fallout thread to the tactical shooter subforum quarryman. A new Fallout game was released less than a week ago.

In my opinion, it's up to the mods to determine if their forums have a community which would be worth keeping. Now, if for example tactical shooters has 5 regular posters, that's still a community. A small one, but a community nonetheless. Merging it with a much busier Games forum would mean any thread they do post about tactical shooters will get lost within maybe 2 hours.

I just fail to see what a) merging tactical shooters with the games forum would bring to the games forum, as discussion about the games themselves are still welcome in the games forum, and b) what disadvantages not merging them would bring. I have little to no knowledge of TS, but from a quick look at the forum it's mostly talk about mods and matchmaking. I think it should have it's own subforum.

And yes, I know there is the search function, but essentially, that's what a subforum is anyway. A way to filter out the topics you don't want and just see the ones relating to tactical shooters.

can we all gang up on the soldat forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There is no gaming community here! .

This has to be a joke, there is no way you can be serious?

What, to you, constitutes a community?
    The forum should never have been created, there isn't enough traffic to justify it. I'm sorry if you feel its niche and specific but that doesn't mean it needs its own forum.

A forum doesn't have to be flat out busy to keep it alive. If it is fully dead and no planned release's then maybe it could be look at, but this would have to be reviewed on a case by case basis and not an OTT cull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think we should merge all the game forums into the PI forum, think of the super community we could have then.

All the no-life gamers and general no-lifers in one super no-life community.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I demand a removal of the games forum. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

console exclusives should not be in the Games section. the likes of Fable 3 or super scribblenauts being here is silly imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think we should merge all the game forums into the PI forum, think of the super community we could have then.

All the no-life gamers and general no-lifers in one super no-life community.

When exactly did you develop that deathwish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

quarrymans ignorance and blatant disregard towards Irish gaming communities is pretty shocking.

I had to rally against posters such as him and bambi for months to get the fighting game forum set up.

"Its just a passing fad"

"Just keep it all in one post - the street fighter 4 build up post"

"nobody plays flighting games"

"I'm going to blatantly disregard Cunny-Funts obvious genius and argue against him cause I hate being wrong"

We finally got it and now the Irish Fighting game community is the largest competitive gaming scene in the entire country.

So SUCK IT. :cool:

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    quarrymans ignorance and blatant disregard towards Irish gaming communities is pretty shocking.

Point out where I disregarded the Irish Gaming community please.

The whole purpose of this thread is an effort to improve the Irish Gaming Community. A games forum that actually discussed games again. This is long before your time however...
    I had to rally against posters such as him and bambi for months to get the fighting game forum set up.
    :

No you didn't. I have never posted on the topic of setting up a Fighting Games forum.

You've pulled this one out of thin air I'm afraid.
    So SUCK IT. :cool

You're ok there, thanks.

Haha trust me, I remember everyone I had to battle against in that thread. I didn't say you were one of them I said they were people like you.

Look I understand and agree with the main aspects of what your talking about, and it was due to the separation of so many games into their own forums that a lot of people were against a Fighting Game forum, which angered me more as stupid needless forums were being used as an excuse to not have extremely needed and beneficial ones.

Theres a line between ending needless forums that are used for random popular at the time games, and killing off ones communities have formed from.

I don't need to have registered on here before you to see you've a narrow minded view of certain genres and are applying reasoning that works for other games onto these ones which have a totally different type of scene and community to it.

Can you not just be happy with the progress thats been done without demanding the death of niche gaming communities you appear to have no clue about?

Let's all be friends eh? :)

My genuine intention for this thread was the improve the gaming discussion not damage it.

I think the changes so far have been great and its good to see there's been a general agreement with it.

Also, my opinion has softened somewhat on the niche forums. I probably have been a bit strong in my preference for merging. (BTW, the Fighting forum is thriving, I've no problem with it.)

As long as there is a gaming community here, in some form, I'm happy.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes guys!

*insert suitable Streetfighter/Arma 2 slogan here* :)

Well Jaysus, clicked this thread expecting to have to continue with some horrible back and forth internet shite only to read that.

Such posts are rare. Fair play man icon14.gif

This merger is a mess, too much flaming, trolling and fanboyism. Can we go back the way it was, ok the threads were a little scattered, but every platform had its place, it avoided the My pc is better than Your console arguments thats ringing through every single discussion. I'm hating what this place has become, this isn't discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This merger is a mess, too much flaming, trolling and fanboyism. Can we go back the way it was, ok the threads were a little scattered, but every platform had its place, it avoided the My pc is better than Your console arguments thats ringing through every single discussion. I'm hating what this place has become, this isn't discussion.

I can't say I'm seeing the same thing, PogMoThoin. Can you give me 3 examples of this from the last 24 hours?

Mr E wrote: »
    I can't say I'm seeing the same thing, PogMoThoin. Can you give me 3 examples of this from the last 24 hours?

This thread is full of it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072662

Game threads are fine, its just the general discussion ones that go like this. I know many who just aren't bothered to participate here anymore, I've practically bowed out too (hoping things change)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, that's a thread discussing console fps games. Even before the merge, that thread would have been posted in the Games forum and would have turned into a debate between console shooters and PC shooters, becaus that's essentially what the thread is. I can't see how the merge had anything to do with that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This thread is full of it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072662

Game threads are fine, its just the general discussion ones that go like this. I know many who just aren't bothered to participate here anymore, I've practically bowed out too (hoping things change)

It's the one thread that spiralled into a mess, and to be fair even if the threads weren't remerged there would still be a certain level of that ****e going on in that thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

And its just 2 or 3 posters involved.

Hardly conclusive evidence of "too much flaming, trolling and fanboyism ..... My pc is better than Your console arguments thats ringing through every single discussion"

Advertisement