Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum re-merge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

IMO

Video Games
    -> Games
    -> Arcade & Retro
    -> Fighting Games
    -> FPS Shooters -> Battlefield -> Call of Duty -> Halo -> Quake -> Tactical Shooters
    -> Roleplaying
    -> Massively Multiplayer -> World of Warcraft -> Eve Online
    -> Casual and Party -> Music and Rhythm Games -> Family Games
    -> Game Reviews
    -> Game Recording and Editing
    -> PC and Console Events

Technical
    -> Console Support
    -> PC Support
    -> Console Modding

-> PSN/XBL/Nintendo
    -> PC

Poker

Miniature Gaming

Roleplaying

Strategy

Toys and Boardgames

Looks a bit messy at first, but it clears up the empty forums, introduces new ones and throws them into a nice and neat bundle.

I actually like that, seems much neater/more useable. Fair playstation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Tallon wrote: »
    Thats why there's prefix's

Are you saying you want a CoD forum under each console section? Or one thread in each section

Bet you anything you want that threads have got mixed up regardless of the prefix! Listen most of the PC gamers I know have no interest whatsoever of chatting with console gamers. There are a number of game types that dont work on console currently, hence we have no interest!

MMO, RTS and FPS games are vastly superior on the PC, that will never change unless MS or Sony decide to finally put keyboard and mouse support natively into their platforms.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

IMO

Video Games
    -> Games
    -> Arcade & Retro
    -> Fighting Games
    -> FPS Shooters -> Battlefield -> Call of Duty -> Halo -> Quake -> Tactical Shooters
    -> Roleplaying
    -> Roleplaying/ Massively Multiplayer -> World of Warcraft -> Eve Online
    -> Game Reviews
    -> PC and Console Events

Technical
    -> Console Support
    -> PC Support
    -> Console Modding

-> PSN/XBL/Nintendo/PC - pre-fixes to distinguish
    -> PC

Poker

Miniature Gaming

Roleplaying Already above

Strategy

Toys and Boardgames

Looks a bit messy at first, but it clears up the empty forums, introduces new ones and throws them into a nice and neat bundle.

Not bad, did a few changes to that, not a lot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I like your suggestion cherryghost, just one or two changes really related to the consoles:

There's nowhere to discuss the actual consoles, upcoming dashboards, new features, new models and stuff that isn't really technical. Tech forums wouldn't be the first place I'd look for advice on buying a new xbox. I think it'd be better to have the following

Platforms
    -> Xbox & Xbox Live
    -> Playstation & PSN
    -> Nintendo
    -> PC & Online Gaming

This does leave the question as to where to put Console Modding, because if that forum goes I'm pretty much done with the gaming section *grips soldering iron* :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheFairy wrote: »
    Bet you anything you want that threads have got mixed up regardless of the prefix! Listen most of the PC gamers I know have no interest whatsoever of chatting with console gamers. There are a number of game types that dont work on console currently, hence we have no interest!

MMO, RTS and FPS games are vastly superior on the PC, that will never change unless MS or Sony decide to finally put keyboard and mouse support natively into their platforms.

Sure isn't it the same way with the Battlefield forum. I, as a PC gamer, have no problem to co-habit with a console gamer. Theres still common discussions such as single player playthroughs, tactical/perks/guns talk.

• Advertisement

You're being elitist about this. What's so pertinent that you only discuss it with PC only gamers and complete shun console gamers? As far as I'm aware the only difference on a crossplatform game is how you physically play the game (as in the controls). In my mind you're still failing to give adequete reasoning behind your stance.

This does leave the question as to where to put Console Modding, because if that forum goes I'm pretty much done with the gaming section *grips soldering iron* :o

Kynar sales would plummet :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep sorry, I'm at work, it was a quick job :rolleyes:

- I'm not sure of a combined RPG/MMO forum. They're both played substantially different, and I'm not terribly interested in the JRPGs, but would rather a conversation about the latest MMO. They're two different breeds of genres

- As for technical and online, perhaps it would be good to start off the consoles as seperate forums, have a look at the traffic, then go from there. I do believe Console Modding should go into technical though.

Console modding moved from the gaming section? Say it isn't so :p

Ugh more mistakes. Kill me now :o Please excuse my edits

Yeah I don't see why it would be in games, it has nothing to do with games. It's more to do with the hardware, and therefore a technical aspect of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

F1ngers there is a difference between MMO, rpgs and Role playing.

Role playing is not video games but all the real life face to face games people play,
    from table top, larps and all the conventions which go on around the country and games and clubs and the games played in the sub forum it's self.

I do think it's werid that the japanese rpg games was tagged on there there as a sub cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You're being elitist about this. What's so pertinent that you only discuss it with PC only gamers and complete shun console gamers? As far as I'm aware the only difference on a crossplatform game is how you physically play the game (as in the controls). In my mind you're still failing to give adequete reasoning behind your stance.

damn straight. Separating console and PC game discussion on the SAME GAME is daft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,739 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Simple solution. Ignore the threads you have no interest in. It's worked for me.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    F1ngers there is a difference between MMO, rpgs and Role playing.

Role playing is not video games but all the real life face to face games people play,
    from table top, larps and all the conventions which go on around the country and games and clubs and the games played in the sub forum it's self.

Its pretty dead though. The only sizable thread there is Dragon Age: Origins which is a PC/Xbox game. I didn't even know the thread existed!

There's also a couple of PC game threads there that should be in Games, minecraft etc.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Video Games
    -> Games
    -> Arcade & Retro
    -> Fighting Games
    -> Roleplaying
    -> Roleplaying/ Massively Multiplayer -> World of Warcraft -> Eve Online
    -> Game Reviews
    -> PC and Console Events

Technical
    -> Console Support
    -> PC Support
    -> Console Modding

-> PC

Poker

Miniature Gaming

Roleplaying Already above

Strategy

Toys and Boardgames

This is getting there but the following comments:

Tactical Shooters, is it really needed?

Game Reviews, this is a failed concept. If some wants to review a game, put it in games and title like so: REVIEW - Halo Reach.

Game Recording and Editing, i see no reason for this forum.

-> PC

This is going to cause problems. Someone looking to discuss MP maps in halo will put threads in Games, Halo and here. There'll be MW2 threads here too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Yes Tactical Shooters is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

quarryman wrote: »
    Game Recording and Editing, i see no reason for this forum.

It's only two months old, not many people know about it yet, and it is a very popular hobbie, not only in the CoD community, but also, Halo, GHRB, SSF, Lets Plays, emulators, PC gaming

It also caters for PC tutorials for the purposes of recording & editing

Its pretty dead though. The only sizable thread there is Dragon Age: Origins which is a PC/Xbox game. I didn't even know the thread existed!

There's also a couple of PC game threads there that should be in Games, minecraft etc.

Dead and quiet are very subjective depending on the forum.
    For some forums no new thread in a day is quiet for some it's no new thread in a month.

This is the quiet time of year for it the conventions run over the course of the college year so things are about to kick off again. But still we have had announcements on the new on going larp in dublin and we get a lot of people asking about events and clubs.

As for minecraft, it's people in the community there talking about the game.

As for the Dragon Age: Origins, it's a game that gets close to the game dynamics and mechanics which is used in table top so that' s always going to be of interest to dice rollers.

Sorry, but no. Tactical shooters is needed. Halo is needed (for the forseeable future anyway). Game recording and editing is in it's infancy and is only growing. Game reviews still gets a steady flow of people in, the viewing numbers seem to agree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This is getting there but the following comments:

Tactical Shooters, is it really needed?

Covers a lot of "pew-pew" games
    Game Reviews, this is a failed concept. If some wants to review a game, put it in games and title like so: REVIEW - Halo Reach.

How many pre-fixes can be set up or are required? PS3, 360,Wii,PC,Review. What else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I quite like Games Reviews. It may not be a particularly busy forum but that doesn't mean it isn't read a lot.

Again quarryman, just because you or I doesn't see any point to a particular forum, doesn't mean there isn't one.

As for getting people posting in the wrong forum because it relates to another one, there is almost no way to fully combat this. People post in the wrong forums all the time throughout boards, because there sometimes is an overlap. But the threads can be moved or merged. It's not that big a deal, and by cutting out a lot of the forums and making the layout of subforums easier to navigate, this problem will be reduced

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

F1ngers wrote: »
    Covers a lot of "pew-pew" games

How many pre-fixes can be set up or are required? PS3, 360,Wii,PC,Review. What else?

Would there be enough users of them to warrant Apple/OSX and maybe mobile?

Game Reviews, this is a failed concept. If some wants to review a game, put it in games and title like so: REVIEW - Halo Reach

Too clutterey. Reviews are distinct from actual gaming discussion. I think it more than warrants it's own forum. If the Games forum had five or six new pages of threads everyday, and was a mish mash of reviews etc - tbh I'd find myself likely visting less.

A forum, particularly a games forum, needs some level of distinction/segregation. There's too many fields to make one useable forum.

This is the quiet time of year for it the conventions run over the course of the college year so things are about to kick off again. But still we have had announcements on the new on going larp in dublin and we get a lot of people asking about events and clubs.

Fair enough. In fairness, its the predecessor of modern gaming so that small community should probably be protected.
    As for minecraft, it's people in the community there talking about the game.

Its seems to be the only thread on the site for the game! I've actually contributed to it several times but I would never have found it if I didn't do a search - I wouldn't have come looking in RP, I don't think its the right place for it.
    As for the Dragon Age: Origins, it's a game that gets close to the game dynamics and mechanics which is used in table top so that' s always going to be of interest to dice rollers.

Again, fair enough. But it has more relevance to computer gaming than table-top at this stage. There are several threads on it now scattered around consoles, games etc etc. I would invite people interested in RP to come to a single thread in Games and voice their opinions, I'm sure I'd love to hear what a hardened RP veteran would make of it. That opportunity just isn't there right now due to the fragmented Games structure. The community element is lost.
    Again quarryman, just because you or I doesn't see any point to a particular forum, doesn't mean there isn't one.

But there is no discussion! I just feel it would benefit from more pairs of eyes in a General Games section with a Review tag. Personally, I never visit it, i only remembered it existed when i was counting forums earlier. However if it was some central I think it might catch my eye more and get me skimming the reviews.
    As for getting people posting in the wrong forum because it relates to another one, there is almost no way to fully combat this. People post in the wrong forums all the time throughout boards, because there sometimes is an overlap. But the threads can be moved or merged. It's not that big a deal, and by cutting out a lot of the forums and making the layout of subforums easier to navigate, this problem will be reduced

Yes but Games forum is by far the worst (with the exception of AH). Threads get posted EVERYWHERE.

I think I'm coming across a bit militant on this. I genuinely want to see an improved community similar to what it was a few years ago where FIFA 06 gamers weren't segregated from FIFA 05 gamers in different forums.

The fragmentation of the forums has resulted in micro-communities staying localized and reducing general gaming discussion. They fear a merge would affect their chosen interest but I feel an attempt at pulling some of these niche areas would benefit the overall gaming community on boards.ie.

The fragmentation of the forums has resulted in micro-communities staying localized and reducing general gaming discussion. They fear a merge would affect their chosen interest but I feel an attempt at pulling some of these niche areas would benefit the overall gaming community on boards.ie.

Ideally yes but, you can often get more strife that way as you get people sneering at other types of gaming which they don't get and don't take part in.
    It would be great to see that minimised and I do agree that the cat is a bit all over the place atm and while I play a bit of everything I find myself going to other sites to find stuff out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,739 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RPG needs to stay. It's distinct from videogames and as far as I know it was set up to cover all forms of RPGs that aren't videogame based although some videogame talk has crept into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

starcraft is new, and i feel it still needs to be a subforum off strategy. Its only recently we finally got it, and its getting more popular every day.

As for the rest of the forums, cherry's idea seems very nice, but honestly, it probably just needs some tidying/re-naming etc and everyone will stop whinging.

starcraft is new, and i feel it still needs to be a subforum off strategy. Its only recently we finally got it, and its getting more popular every day.

As for the rest of the forums, cherry's idea seems very nice, but honestly, it probably just needs some tidying/re-naming etc and everyone will stop whinging.

It would still be there, but I guess SC and C&C could probably get moved into the Video Games forum, and the current Strategy forum would be wiped, and Chess and and TCG would be moved under a subforum of Toys & Boardgames.

just needs some tidying/re-naming etc

That could also be the case, at times the simplest solution is the most effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Overheal wrote: »
    Technical Questions? We have the Tech forums for that. What do you think is generally the area of discussion in Graphics eh?

You're suggesting we move threads about quirky behaviour in console games to the Tech forum - where you can tell them to go get a PC? :D
    EnterNow wrote: »
    That's sort of the way a forum works is it not :confused: I've never visited the Mustard forum, but if I ever need mustard advice, I know where to go ;) Until I choose to go there, the discussions remain unseen (thankfully, as mustard is vile :D).

I don't think it's a valid comparison. Everyone in the Mustard forum may see your query (about using mustard as a sealant) and you'll get your answer because the Mustard forum is a fun place to be, with interesting topics. But, if your query is in the 'Mustard Advice' sub-forum, the only other person to see your question will be the lady who posts her own query (regarding uncrushed peppercorns). She has no idea how the resolve your issue. After two weeks of waiting, some dude, who happens to have the knowledge you seek, answers your question. The only reason he was even in the sub-forum was because he himself is looking for advice after using mustard in place of his usual face cream. :)

Who knows how long you'd be waiting for an answer when the only visitors to the forum are people who have queries of their own.

My concern that a 'Technical Issues' sub-forum will be little more than a ghost town could, possibly, be answered by finding out how successful the 'Requests' sub-forum is in the 'Consumer -> Bargain Alerts' section.

Though there is probably more of an incentive for people to casually visit 'Requests' than there is to visit 'Technical Issues'.

Advertisement