Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were your baby 'must-haves' for the first year?

• 19-09-2010 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I hear a lot of stories about what you do and don't need for baby's first year. What were your 'must-haves'? What could you have not done without!?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bottles, cot, formula, grobag for night time, car seat, bouncer (or swing or a 2in1!), play mat or activity centre and a buggy. That's it really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

All of the above and muslins!! Would never go anywhere without a muslin or 2 to mop up puke, drool, more puke and more drool...

Megan is now 8 and a half months and teething like mad so we don't go anywhere without either Calpol, Infant Nurofen, Teetha Granules or some Calgel.

I also have baby wipes in every bag and in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Nappies and boobs. Seriously, had to have the car seat and buggy, the cosleeper cot was brilliant, the changing table saved my back, the door bouncer saved my sanity. Other good stuff: playmat/baby gym thing; bebepod chair; sleep positioner and grobags; baby-shaped/baby-sized sponge to lie little baby on in the bath - great security; sling; digital camera - you will never have enough photos of the first few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Bouncy chair so to occupy them while you do jobs and face cloths, they are brilliant for everything. feeding, cleaning, have their scent on them, cheap. Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

all the above except loved our tummy tub, used it for both and for toys afterwards. Need to get a new one now ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y7339A?locale=en_US
    This was brilliant - saves you going in to the toilets with a huge baby bag! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

changing table oh my god still love it, mine has bath underneath which was great. Dont no how people can go without one. I got mine in sale in smyths only €80.

Jumperoo now she's older and wont lie on her back and gets fed up on belly after while. Got this on sale in heatons €70.

Few other bits like play gym, little chair which she's outgrown but loves. SO need to find one for 6month+

things i didn't get much use out of bottle warmer, used it few times but it takes forever to heat bottles. Moses basket i like but she outgrew it at 8 weeks so could of done without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

travel cot with changing mat, better than the changing unit.

steem steraliser

cot/ swinging crib

swinging chair

also got a thing that you stick him in and they bounce and boy did he bounce

Jane double buggy (cost 1000k) but worth every penny ( it got nicked on when the youngest was 2 weeks old and we bought another one)

walker -he loved the walker.

you just reminded me - my second-hand phil and teds is a joy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lynski wrote: »
    you just reminded me - my second-hand phil and teds is a joy to use.
    a "phil and ted"?
    whats that?
    anything to a "george forman" or a "ben and jerry"?

lol. it is a double pushchair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lynski wrote: »
    lol. it is a double pushchair.
    is that one of those double decker robust looking cross country jobbies then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

is that one of those double decker robust looking cross country jobbies then?

That's a unique description! Here's mine.

As for the must-haves: cot, buggy, blankets/grobags/sheets, muslin cloths, changing mat, storage for clothes, car seat.

Everything else is optional, you could borrow it or ask for them as a present: moses basket, changing table, travel cot, bouncer, steriliser, bag for out and about.

You will get enough clothes to do your little 'un for 2 years! Tell family and friends what to get you. Most are delighted to get you something you want. My siblings got me this travel cot. It's great, he uses it when we go to visit them, he can nap in it during the day and will be a playpen when he's bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

Nappies and boobs.
    LOL. If only it was that simple!:D

Lots of ideas,thanks everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

bakedbean wrote:

Ummm, it is. Everything else is just for convenience or fashion.

My hubby & I are big fans of keeping life & the house simple, so this is what we raised our two kids with...

1) Nappies. We've tried cloth, and have had some success, but have used disposable mainly. You can very easily get by without buying commercial wipes (muslin & water - maybe w/ a drop of tea tree oil in it will do if you're determined enough to get over the learning curve)

2) We did have a basic bouncing seat for the newborn phase (just so I could put the babes down so I could do *anything*), but as soon as they learned they could move (i.e.: within a few months of birth) the chair became dangerous, so it was just onto a blanket on the floor. Neither of my kids liked the playmats w/ the dangling toys b/c they hated being on their backs

3) A backpack w/ a few nappies & wipes and one change of clothes in case of spillage. I have never understood these huge nappy bags...? :confused:

4) As far as bath time goes, the sink works fine until the babe's too big, then if you have a bathtub that works fine after. If you don't (like me), a baby bath works until they can stand in the shower

5) A sling/wrap. And I don't mean those tomy carrier things. They may work for some, but I've yet to hear anyone use one after the babe is more than 9 kgs. We've used Maya Wrap to take our 3 yr old on mountain hikes. Now we use it for the baby and the toddler walks. My hubby (who carried the toddler on the back when I was pregnant w/ #2) has a bad back himself, and never had any discomfort as long as the wrap was adjusted right. We also have the Ellaroo shoulder sling, which is fantastic for quick pops into the store.

I could never deal w/ a pram...hated them when I was a kid, and as an adult I still do. Ever see a person carrying their child struggle to get up a flight of steps or through a crowded store? And hey, you could pay €1,000 for a buggy, or €60 for a wrap on Ebay...your choice :D

6) If you bottle feed and/or express breastmilk, you'd need bottles. Bottle warmers are a joke (sitting the bottle in a jug of heated water works just fine), and sterilizers aren't necessary either. Soaking in milton and/or boiling is perfectly sufficient. Otherwise, avoid the whole thing & use boobs.

7) Car seat. Essential. But we consolidated & got one that goes from birth - 4 yrs. Didn't have the handy carrier thing at birth, but we wouldn't leave the kid alone in the car anyway.

8) A cot. Of course both our girls were in & out of our bed for a time, but we had a cot that they both used. When the eldest outgrew it (she was 3) we got her a single-size bed. Never bothered w/ the moses basket & didn't miss it.

In reality, that's all we used for our two. They had a plastic plate & bowl, but used an ordinary teaspoon once they got teeth. They have some toys, but we encourage them to find fun in everyday stuff instead of loads of store-bought plastic.

It *is* easy to keep it simple...it's just personal choice. :D

We got *everything* from a cousin who was finished with her family, so had to buy very little. we have been lucky to get clothes from family and friends, my sis has 2 children a both a little younger then mine but the other way around, I have a boy and girl she has a girl and boy so we swapped clothes, despite her living in uk. A neighbour has given me all her stuff from her 2 who are slightly older then mine. Similarly with friends with children similar ages have swapped and loaned stuff around. My phil and teds cocoon was used for my daughter, and 2 of my friends children in the past yr and it was already secondhand when i got it.

as for toys, charity shop finds are more then fine until they are old enough to ask for new and presents or handmedowns are loved as much as the new stuff.
    I have been very specific with friends and family for christmas and birthdays - saying they need x y or z or please just but books (there are never enough books in a house)
    Use you noodle and you will not have to worry about too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vemrob

Absolutely the nappy wrapper. It was a godsend. Also, these little containers from tommee tippee that hold the formula. you put into them into the bottle and it means that you dont have to be dragging the box of formula with you all the time. They simply get washed and sterilised with your bottles.

vemrob wrote: »
    Absolutely the nappy wrapper. It was a godsend. Also, these little containers from tommee tippee that hold the formula. you put into them into the bottle and it means that you dont have to be dragging the box of formula with you all the time. They simply get washed and sterilised with your bottles.

Case & point example of convenience. Essential they are not.

Well to be fair that depends each person. In my experience things that make life easier for new mums who may also have a lot of other stuff going on are essential. And certainly in my case these things were essential in order to keep me sane.

• Advertisement

vemrob - this is my point. The items you mentioned were helpful to you - which is good, but they *specifically* were not essential. It is just as helpful to use any ol reusable container (tupperware & the like) to store your formula when you went out. Or, you could put the measured formula powder directly in the bottle, then bring a flask of warm water to make up the formula on the spot. Either of these options is just as helpful, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a container that's been marketed as a formula-holder.

Likewise, I can't imagine why a nappy wrapper would be easier than putting the nappy in a little disposable plastic nappy bag & chucking it in the bin.

I'm not saying that things that help us cut corners are unneccessary, just that there are usually other options out there that are cheaper, just as good & reusable for other purposes once the baby moves out of that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

deemark wrote: »

You will get enough clothes to do your little 'un for 2 years! Tell family and friends what to get you. Most are delighted to get you something you want. My siblings got me this travel cot. It's great, he uses it when we go to visit them, he can nap in it during the day and will be a playpen when he's bigger.

i had that, loved it,loved it , loved it, a better buy than the baby changing unit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have that travel cot ^ ^ :D seems like a great piece of kit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

xzanti wrote: »
    I have that travel cot ^ ^ :D seems like a great piece of kit :p

Yep, my best friend gave us this too, it's perfect. So handy especially with the bassinet fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

vemrob wrote: »
    Well to be fair that depends each person. In my experience things that make life easier for new mums who may also have a lot of other stuff going on are essential. And certainly in my case these things were essential in order to keep me sane.

i thought they were great, even for around the house. I dispensed the formula into them in the morning and they great as I was so tired at the start and when making bottles I sometimes forgot how many scoops I had put in esp when people where talking to me. Least when I forgot with container I didn't have to wash whole bottle again.

Considering I bought my one for 2 odd euro its hardly breaking the bank.

Hey Bulmersgal
    I totally agree with you. And they are so cheap. When you have so many ppl around its easy to forget the scoops. Really handy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Something I didnt have but essential - HEADSPACE.

Make sure you get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe not an essential but something that let us at least have a little peace was the door frame bouncer even if it did kick off a 6 month obsession with "Tiggah!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Things I didn't think we'd need but did...
    > Bassinet (sleeping during day in living room in early months)
    > Changing table
    > Quinny frame that fit the car seat (so we could move baby without removing from seat).
    > If you use Dr Brown bottles, get the little cage for the dishwasher that fits all the bits
    > Baby Bjorn slings... used all the time from birth to date (9 months old now)
    > Gro-bags

Things I didn't need but purchased...
    > Bumbo
    > Baby bath
    > Walker / bouncer
    > Mattress covers

Also... up to 6 or seven months just use lots of vests and babygros, anything fancier is a waste of time IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree with the vests and baby grows, I have nothing else for the first 6 months and It's working out fine.

Advertisement