Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reference previous own work in PhD thesis

Options
  • 19-09-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,
    I'm currently revising my PhD thesis and noticed today that my first chapter contains elements of my MA thesis, a paragraph or two verbatim and some repetition of ideas. I didn't think anything of this at the time of writing the chapter, it was a way into a discussion which has since become much more sophisticated etc.
    At this stage however I'm worried about the consequences of leaving this work in. I have two questions: Is it acceptable for a chapter of the PhD to contain elements of previous work? If it is acceptable, what is the correct form of referencing?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Timmi wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm currently revising my PhD thesis and noticed today that my first chapter contains elements of my MA thesis, a paragraph or two verbatim and some repetition of ideas. I didn't think anything of this at the time of writing the chapter, it was a way into a discussion which has since become much more sophisticated etc.
    At this stage however I'm worried about the consequences of leaving this work in. I have two questions: Is it acceptable for a chapter of the PhD to contain elements of previous work? If it is acceptable, what is the correct form of referencing?
    Thanks

Yes, definitely acceptable. One of the papers that pretty much started my own work does this. The chap, Wilson did two journal articles back in 2005 (Wilson et al., 2005a and Wilson et al., 2005b). However, he pretty much reproduced certain parts of his PhD thesis, so he just referenced the bits he needed (e.g. a lot his result he took from his PhD and used in the articles, so he just cited and referenced them). So if it's acceptable for peer reviewed journal articles, I can't see why not in a PhD thesis.

The way to reference would be:

Wilson, G.P., 2004. Microfossil and isotopic evidence for Holocene sea-level change in the Mersey Estuary. Ph.D. thesis, Liverpool John Moores University, U.K., unpublished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would suggest doing a final check with your supervisior, however, I agree with El Siglo. To the best of my understanding is it acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timmi

Will do, thanks folks.

Advertisement