Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pizza dough

Options
  • 19-09-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I have perfected making pizza dough with the following ingrediants

600g white flour
    300ml water
    sachet of yeast
    desertspoon of olive oil

all mixed up, kneaded,allow to raise and then roll out into pizza bases.

this works perfect every time.

now,im a concious that i am using white flour and would love to try make it healthier with wholemeal flour but how do you thing this would work out? would it be very coarse? would it work as well as the white version? would i need to do something different (although i have perfeced he white version i would love f it was the same)

im guessing it won be as tasty either, like all things white generally tastes better than brown :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My dough has 4:1 strong white flour to buckwheat
    Very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Personally, I think that brown piza base is very dissappointing, even though
    I much prefer wholemeal bread to white bread.
    But you should give it a go and see if you like it.

If you use only wholewheat flour, it won't rise much.
    Experiment with a mixture of wholewheat flour and STRONG white four.
    You need the extra gluten in the flour to help the wholewheat flour rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

right, so i need to go for a mix between wholewheat and white flour...

it probably wont rise at all with just wholewheat on its own will it...

I need a day with lots off spare time to test this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

huskerdu wrote: »
    Personally, I think that brown piza base is very dissappointing, even though
    I much prefer wholemeal bread to white bread.
    But you should give it a go and see if you like it.

If you use only wholewheat flour, it won't rise much.

This could be used to your advantage if you like thin crusts, rolling it thinner than usual before hand to try and get a nice thin crispy base. Having less base would also technically make it healthier (or at least lower calorie/carbs) which was might help the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

600g white flour
    300ml water
    sachet of yeast
    desertspoon of olive oil

I use almost the exact same recipe... just ensuring that I use a good quality 'strong' white flour such as Odlums (as recommended to me by an Italian living in Ireland).

Rolled thin it cooks really well and has a lovely crispiness to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco now do a pizza base packet, I think you just add water. Dried yeast is surprisingly expensive for what it is, like you can get a baked loaf very cheap but the yeast is a lot.

I see the normal stuff you see mcdougalls is €2.66 for 8x7g (56g) sachets, 33c each, I see online that tesco do their own dried yeast now 56g for 99c, not sure if it is sachets.

Their pizza base mix is 79c with yeast already in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

now,im a concious that i am using white flour and would love to try make it healthier with wholemeal flour but how do you thing this would work out? would it be very coarse? would it work as well as the white version? would i need to do something different (although i have perfeced he white version i would love f it was the same)

im guessing it won be as tasty either, like all things white generally tastes better than brown :-(

How bout trying white spelt flour? It would be healthier but still have the nice tast of white flour.

As far as I know you have to mix the water very quickly with spelt as it has less gluten (or something :P.) But other than that it's just the same as regular wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

I have changed the measurements of my recipe lately and my dough is not great.

My old recipe was 250g White flour, 150ml of milk water mix, yeast and a tsp of sugar. Worked great.

I have tried to increase the measurements but have no success.

Dough is turning hard to Knead and heavy. I increased the mixture to 300g flour,170ml milk water mix. Salt, yeast and sugar.

any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd always and a handful of semolina too, and then when rolling out the dough, do it in semolina again rather than flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'd always and a handful of semolina too, and then when rolling out the dough, do it in semolina again rather than flour.

I follow Jamie's recipe which also recommends using semolina. Tesco have both the Tipo flour and semolina, sometimes both are in the baking section but otherwise look in deserts for the semolina. Makes for a nice crispy base.
    http://m.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

Recommended topping - Salmon and dill. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

For best results, you really need to be using Tipo or 'OO' flour. Its quite hard to get but Fallon and Byrne in town do it.

Also for best result when you are finished kneading your dough, you should put it in a bowl and cover it with cling film and then place it in the fridge for 1 - 4 days. This is called slow fermenting and gives the crust a better taste and texture. *(when adding the water to the flour make sure it is not heated at all)

mkdon05 wrote: »
    For best results, you really need to be using Tipo or 'OO' flour. Its quite hard to get but Fallon and Byrne in town do it.

Isn't Odlam's 'strong' flour the same?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not at all, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

mkdon05 wrote: »

The double o flour is a much finer ground flour. I mean strong flour will work but to get that Italian style pizza, it wouldn't be the same.

Hmm didn't realise that at all. Must try to get some for pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

This is how I make my dough - I like the Roma Tipo 0 or the Hovis Strong flour that Tesco now carry:

Ingredients:
    400gm Strong White Type 0 Flour (I use the Roma or the Hovis ones – the Odlums one has additives that I think make the dough far too chewy)
    100gm Semolina
    1.5tsp Kosher/Sea Salt (as long as it’s not table salt – this is purely a flavour thing with me, given table salt is artificially made)
    1.5tsp caster sugar
    7gm of fast acting/dried yeast (usually these are in 7g sachets)
    330ml of tepid water (not boiling)
    2tbsp Grapeseed Oil or Rapeseed Oil (I avoid Olive Oil here because the levels of purity due to pressing is really hard to gauge from brand to brand - found rapeseed & grapeseed less problematic personally)

Method:
    1. Sieve the salt, semolina & flour together
    2. Mix the water & sugar together mix til disolved, then add the yeast, stir gently & leave the yeast to froth & grow in an open environment (not outdoors - it’ll get to an out of control beery froth & the place will smell like a brewery – and hopefully pick up some additional natural yeasts in the air too which is awesome!)
    3. Make a well in the middle of the flour/semolina/salt mix, pour in the 2tbsp of oil
    4. Add the yeast mix, making sure to get ALL of the froth in the container (that’s goodness right there)
    5. Bring dough together
    6. Knead dough WITHOUT using additional flour – if you need to (but only if the day is especially humid) until the dough gets to at least 27.5*C (the dough reaching this temperature is crucial) until smooth, & starts to become elastic
    7. Once the dough is at 27.5*C, turn into a ball, using the tucking under technique
    8. Lightly oil a bowl, & the top of the dough ball
    9. Cover bowl in Clingfilm, & place in a warm, dark, dry place until it’s doubled, (or for as long as you can – I tend to let mine go while I’m in work for 8 hours +) to prove
    10. Remove cling film after first prove is complete, knock out the air, & turn out onto a surface, & again knead til it gets back to 27.5*, & prove again for another doubling (30 mins or so should see you well for this one – I’ve been known to let it go another hour)
    11. Remove from 2nd prove, knock out the air, roll it out as you require (not too harshly – you want to keep air in the dough to get the base fluffy in the middle) – you can get 2x 14” pizzas from this (for an medium crust), or a kick ass 16” thick crust

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

ven0m wrote: »
    This is how I make my dough - I like the Roma Tipo 0 or the Hovis Strong flour that Tesco now carry:

Ingredients:
    400gm Strong White Type 0 Flour (I use the Roma or the Hovis ones – the Odlums one has additives that I think make the dough far too chewy)
    100gm Semolina
    1.5tsp Kosher/Sea Salt (as long as it’s not table salt – this is purely a flavour thing with me, given table salt is artificially made)
    1.5tsp caster sugar
    7gm of fast acting/dried yeast (usually these are in 7g sachets)
    330ml of tepid water (not boiling)
    2tbsp Grapeseed Oil or Rapeseed Oil (I avoid Olive Oil here because the levels of purity due to pressing is really hard to gauge from brand to brand - found rapeseed & grapeseed less problematic personally)

Method:
    1. Sieve the salt, semolina & flour together
    2. Mix the water & sugar together mix til disolved, then add the yeast, stir gently & leave the yeast to froth & grow in an open environment (not outdoors - it’ll get to an out of control beery froth & the place will smell like a brewery – and hopefully pick up some additional natural yeasts in the air too which is awesome!)
    3. Make a well in the middle of the flour/semolina/salt mix, pour in the 2tbsp of oil
    4. Add the yeast mix, making sure to get ALL of the froth in the container (that’s goodness right there)
    5. Bring dough together
    6. Knead dough WITHOUT using additional flour – if you need to (but only if the day is especially humid) until the dough gets to at least 27.5*C (the dough reaching this temperature is crucial) until smooth, & starts to become elastic
    7. Once the dough is at 27.5*C, turn into a ball, using the tucking under technique
    8. Lightly oil a bowl, & the top of the dough ball
    9. Cover bowl in Clingfilm, & place in a warm, dark, dry place until it’s doubled, (or for as long as you can – I tend to let mine go while I’m in work for 8 hours +) to prove
    10. Remove cling film after first prove is complete, knock out the air, & turn out onto a surface, & again knead til it gets back to 27.5*, & prove again for another doubling (30 mins or so should see you well for this one – I’ve been known to let it go another hour)
    11. Remove from 2nd prove, knock out the air, roll it out as you require (not too harshly – you want to keep air in the dough to get the base fluffy in the middle) – you can get 2x 14” pizzas from this (for an medium crust), or a kick ass 16” thick crust

Thanks for that venom, when roll the dough I find it stays flat and thin.
    Sometimes it does not cook properly on the top where the sauce is. I'm new to making dough so every bit of info helps.

O ya why semolina?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Semolina for color, flavor & texture - makes it less bready, more pizza-y (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

What would happen if you did not Knead the dough.

Would it make much of a difference.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thanks for that venom, when roll the dough I find it stays flat and thin.
    Sometimes it does not cook properly on the top where the sauce is. I'm new to making dough so every bit of info helps.

O ya why semolina?

Bit late here but I was watching Simply Italian on 4OD today and she was making pasta and she recommended using semolina if you're leaving your pasta to dry for a while because it does the same job as flour to stop it sticking to the tray, but it won't get into the pasta or effect it when you put it in water to cook it.
    I assume it's the same with pizza, i.e. if you're rolling it out on flour it's getting into your dough and will change the consistency of it. The semolina won't mix with the dough in that way so it stops it from drying out which can happen if you use too much flour.

She also uses that 00 flour for her pasta, must try and track some down as I'm having no luck with my pizza's at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tesco sell Roma branded Tipo 00 for, their own brand yeast works just as well as the McDougall's and comes in the same sized sachets.

The Roma flour has a pizza base recipe on the back, works well but I would add extra salt next time.

I haven't tried the semolina but have seen it in pizza shops, Apache I think.

I try to spread the sauce very thin, especially in the middle to avoid soggy pizza, make sure the toppings are well drained too if using balled mozzarella, pineapple, deli ham etc.

A pizza stone makes for a great crispy base, pre-heat it and use a rolling pin to lay the base on it.

Buon appetito!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It would make all the difference. You really do have to knead the dough very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What happens if you don't knead it enough, is it breaks up easily. So when you go to roll it or stretch it, it tears and gets little holes it in. Sauce doesn't go on it properly then. Just doesn't work right.

On things to add to pizza dough, mine is very plain... grade 0 flour, yeast, salt, water. I swap 20% of the flour weight for oats. Gives a nice flavour, not sure if it's any better for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I'd love to try this one:

http://crepesofwrath.net/2011/10/19/ny-style-sourdough-pizza/

but haven't got round to trying to getting a sourdough starter and all that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've seen it mentioned already above but in case ye missed it Roma do a 00 flour now which is available in most large supermarkets, I've been using it a bit lately and it works very well for pizza bases if you are looking for something small to make a positive difference, like with all bread we'll probably tinker till its at our liking, olive oil is also essential although other similar oils might do the trick also,
    Besides that, cheap/crappy mozzarella is the only other thing I have to have(+ some nice cheeses also of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I tried a few different pizza dough recipes with mixed results.
    I found I had the best results when I actualy got a pizza tray, round tray with the holes in the bottom.

The air holes isvwhat made all the difference I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have been using a "00" flour for the past few weeks.
    The difference is amazing.
    I got a 10kg bag from a friend who delivers it to the italian chippers.
    The only issue I was having was getting the rolled dough to the hot pizza stone.
    I finally figured out that if I heat the stone for 5 mins, then put the empty base on it, bake it for a couple of minutes, take it out, put the ingredients on it and then bake for 10 mins or so its near perfect.
    Still not as cripsy on the bottom as I would like but damn tasty nonetheless.
    I think it was Jamie olivers recipe I used which is just 00 flour, semolina (which I don't have so don't use), salt, castor sugar and yeast mixed with water.
    Works well I have to say but I was expecting olive oil in the recipse which it doesnt have.
    Have been eating pizza's non stop for past 3 weeks or so.
    Not sick of them at all , make them nice and thin and make lots of different varities, keeps everyone happy.
    The kids love making them and eating them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

sham69 wrote: »
    Have been using a "00" flour for the past few weeks.
    The difference is amazing.
    I got a 10kg bag from a friend who delivers it to the italian chippers.
    The only issue I was having was getting the rolled dough to the hot pizza stone.
    I finally figured out that if I heat the stone for 5 mins, then put the empty base on it, bake it for a couple of minutes, take it out, put the ingredients on it and then bake for 10 mins or so its near perfect.
    Still not as cripsy on the bottom as I would like but damn tasty nonetheless.
    I think it was Jamie olivers recipe I used which is just 00 flour, semolina (which I don't have so don't use), salt, castor sugar and yeast mixed with water.
    Works well I have to say but I was expecting olive oil in the recipse which it doesnt have.
    Have been eating pizza's non stop for past 3 weeks or so.
    Not sick of them at all , make them nice and thin and make lots of different varities, keeps everyone happy.
    The kids love making them and eating them :)

You need a pizza peel

http://www.gilmartins.com/product-catalogue.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=53

It's on my wish list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

sham69 wrote: »

Thats a great tip :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Don't know if that would solve my problem?
    So do you make the pizza on the metal, then slide it on to the pizza stone?
    My problem is getting it to slide..
    Or does the metal stay in the oven and the handle detach?
    I know I have seen these in pizza restaurants but I just realised I don't know how they work...

Thats a great tip

Thanks, took a few disasters to figure it out.
    I'm sure other people have better ideas but it works for me at the moment.
    My 5 yr old son is having his friends around for a pizza party today, what have I started... :)

Advertisement