Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Desktop Support Technician - XP or 7?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some advice please :)

I am out of work at the moment and trying to do some IT courses to fill my time.
    I recently completed the CCNA and want to to a Microsoft Desktop Support course next

I have a chance to do MCDST (XP) online for free through FAS
    or
    get books for MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 and study it myself

My question is which course do you think would be most useful?
    I notice that the XP exam is being retired in March next year.
    However I know a lot of companies still use XP and probably won't upgrade to 7 for a while yet.

I am leaning towards XP at the moment as I know it fairly well and I can always do the upgrade exam for 7 at a later date.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate the input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Tricky one, I had the same dilemma between Windows NT workstation and Windows 2000!

I would go for Windows 7.
    XP has been out for a long time so you must know it fairly well, whereas a Windows 7 cert will give you the edge and companies will\are upgrading. It will also count towards a Win2008 cert, which is where the real money is.
    Aim for for server team support - its a smaller pool than deskside

And better still go for virtual knowledge

Or you could just do both, 3 months to do both - 1 month on XP and 2 on Win7 - very do-able

Or skip deskside altogether - go server support!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

W7, no question. XP, actually came out in 2002, and has persisted mainly due to the crapness of Vista. W7 is here to stay though, and XP will dwindle as soon as MS start to pull the plug on support.

Advertisement