Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Ram For A Dell Dimension 3100c

• 19-09-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

I currently have Kingston 1GB pc2-4200 cl4 240, but am looking at going up to 2GB.

Can anyone recommend a site? Komplett used to have them, ive checked on Dabs.ie but over €10 postage is a bit much on ram. Also its not clear but I assume that all these kits are sold as two sticks?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

jeffk wrote: »
    I currently have Kingston 1GB pc2-4200 cl4 240, but am looking at going up to 2GB.

Can anyone recommend a site? Komplett used to have them, ive checked on Dabs.ie but over €10 postage is a bit much on ram. Also its not clear but I assume that all these kits are sold as two sticks?

Thanks for any help!

www.crucial.com ? Not sure what postage will be. You also see Ram all the time on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Happyman42 wrote: »
    www.crucial.com ? Not sure what postage will be. You also see Ram all the time on adverts.ie

I was trying to keep in in Ireland if possible, I know its only ram and cant really go wrong but id rather be sure to be sure. Nothing stirring on adverts.ie, I got the 1Gb on there, I think the dell rams are by make and that covers 3100/3100c etc, ill have to check.

I already asked this but is ram the best option to speed up an old pc? I was told go pentium 4 processor, but I have one listed in my device manager. I know pcs, but hardware's all news to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

hearny wrote: »

Thanks for that, I was onto Komplett and they have a 2GB for €48, waiting to see when its in stock as they are right beside me. If not then for the extra few euro I can go for that one!!

You Are Welcome,
    Just be sure its a 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB).

If you already have 1 x 1GB Strip you could try to find the matching pair to save a few pound. They will work best as a matching pair though so if you are not sure a kit would be the better choice.

• Advertisement

Just to be sure, this is the right one?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE942921

With postage and all that they are a bit dearer, but its the next choice after komplett. I have two sticks to make up the 1GB and sure as you said it would be better to get a proper 2GB kit.

Yeah thats the one you want then.
    You might be able to sell your own RAM to get some money back on the purchase.

Have you used elara before? Its spinning for the last five minutes on checking stock.

On the idea of selling it, I paid €25 for the 1GB, so I doubt id get half off that back, then the postal etc. Good idea all the same.

Went to the horses mouth shall we say and ordered it off crucial themselves. Works out around the same price.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Advertisement