Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolation of old fuse board

Options
  • 19-09-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Been asked too change an old style screw in neozed fuse type circuit board to a modern mcb board.is there usually an isolation point before the main 63amp fuse on old installations,i.e so not to have to work on live mains cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

rockblu
    no offence but its a job for a registered contractor.
    sometimes there is an isolator before the board ,sometimes not
    you need to leave 16square to the esb meter and a cert for connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there should be a main switch on the board-that's all you get really

without breaking seals or getting ESBN involved

there is a trade secret for isolating tails from cut-outs which i can't reveal

sounds like your out of your depth

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dg_

No offence but if your asking a question like that you should not be changing the board, leave it to a qualified spark there's enough of them around !

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

Isolate it from the ESB meter isolator switch if its a new enough meter.... if not pull the ESB fuse...

(If you going to do it anyway you mite as well do it without getting fried!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

if not pull the ESB fuse...

And how can he do this legally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no he shouldn't break the seal

he shouldn't do the job anyway by the sound of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rockblu

sound lads,no i am an electrician but have never done domestic,served my time in processing factories so very very limited work on fuse boards or esp old type domestic ones,the factory usually gets contractors in when jobs to be done around the switch room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Davy wrote: »
    And how can he do this legally?

I used to do that myself, but not these days i dont. There really should be a consumer main isolator in the meter box, is there an MCB now required? Although its would only be on newer ones anyway.

There are ways and means anyway.
    Depends on the situation though.

House probably needs a rewire anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Whether you're an electrician or not, if you don't know how to do this, you are out of your depth.

You should get someone who is familiar with working on domestic distribution boards.

Also, are you registered to be able to issue the completion certificates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rockblu

oh right,didnt know you had to issue certs,best get a registered lad in to do it so.what are the certs for,just for someone who is registered to stand over the work/test circuits for insulation resistance etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement