Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic insulation

• 19-09-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

I have noticed that there are parts of the (don't know what it's called) black insulation covering peeling offfrom my attic roof. Who would I get to look at that? I was hoping to just get the parts thatare falling down replaced but is it likely that I would need the whole atttic roof re-done? It's worse on one side than the other.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

sounds like the roof felt has perished
    you will need a roofing contractor
    would need to be redone
    not a small job though
    need to lift roof tiles and refelt and replace tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

yikes! would it have to be the whole roof, would you think or just the sections that are damaged. It's not that much but consciuos of getting it sorted b4 the winter..
    Is that expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry hard to tell from here
    you need someone to take a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree with meercat, you would really need to have someone to take a look at it before they tell you how much of the roof needs to be done.

Ok, then who do I get to look at that? Do I go to Attic insulation company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It doesn't appear to be an insulation issue, its a roofing issue. If you are talking about the black 'fabric' immediately under the tiles, that's roofing felt. You will need to get a roofer to have a look. There are probably more cowboy roofers than any other type of tradesman, so be careful.

They will need to lift off the tiles, strip the felt and laths, replace any rotton rafters (probably the very bottom edge above the gutter). Replace the felt and the laths, replace the tiles. Replace (cement) the curved tiles at the peak of the roof (ridge tiles), re-cement the edges, and replace any disturbed or damaged lead. (sorry about any wrong terminology there, I'm not a roofer :D)

This is a major, expensive job, and its already getting a bit late in the season to have your roof stripped imo. If there are no actual leaks (that you can't sort with a bucket :D) leave it until next May or so, spend the time in between sorting a good, reliable roofer for whom you have recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Roof felt is obviously a good idea, but if the roof is otherwise sound is it worth replacing it?

Is there much water coming in through it on blowy days?

[QUOTE=

This is a major, expensive job, and its already getting a bit late in the season to have your roof stripped imo. If there are no actual leaks (that you can't sort with a bucket :D) leave it until next May or so, spend the time in between sorting a good, reliable roofer for whom you have recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Yikes! There doesn't appear to be any leaks inside. It's only one one side of attic roof, in part. TBH, not sure how long its even been like that but wondered whether I needed to get it looked at b4 the winter. If it's mega expensive and not apparently causing probs, I think I could wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are right, we had the same problem - which is why I know anything about it! - and the felt was in bits for ages, on the side of the house that got the most weather. In very bad weather it did rain in, but the water ran down one beam and dripped into one particular spot, where we had a permanent bowl waiting.

However it was damaging the timber and needed attention, also the bottom row of tiles had sagged which showed that the timber was probably rotten, which when it was uncovered it certainly was, it came down in manky bits.

We were very lucky in that we got a good building company who had all the equipment and just needed a job to fill a week between major jobs. They put some extra supports in, and completely re-did all one side of the roof for us and next door.

The only (minor) problem was that an amazing amount of dirt and bits of concrete (concrete?) fell into the attic onto stuff that was stored up there. We should have covered everything with a big sheet of polythene, or cleared the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You should have insisted that they clean up afterwards. Under most contracts, formal or verbal, the cotractor is obliged to leave the sit clean and to look after the disposal of rubbish/waste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement