Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy Forks

• 19-09-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi guys,

i've tried researching this with no real insight gained..

im interested in buying a giant defy 4 road bike.

It says the fork is made of "Cromoly, OverDrive Steerer"...

and the defy 3.5 has a fork made of "Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer"...

what are these materials in basic terms? does the defy 4 have a steel fork?...
    because im worried if the fork is steel it will rust or something :confused:
    forgive me if i'm being stupid. but i want a good bike for my money...

please try and help because im totally at a loss here :-S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Cromoly is steel yes, but it won't rust, certainly not in the time you own it.

Steel has been around a long time as bike frame material. you needn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

abcdggs wrote: »
    Cromoly is steel yes, but it won't rust, certainly not in the time you own it.

Steel has been around a long time as bike frame material. you needn't worry about it

ok that's good. Is the defy 3.5 worth the extra 75 euro? the only upgrade is the fork?...

ok that's good. Is the defy 3.5 worth the extra 75 euro? the only upgrade is the fork?...
    can't find a link for 3.5, throw one up and i'll take a look

can't find a link for 3.5, throw one up and i'll take a look

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.3.5/4861/38961/

To save nearly a kilo in weight i would definitely spend an extra €75

• Advertisement

To save nearly a kilo in weight i would definitely spend an extra €75

ok cool. so the defy 3.5 is worth the cash.

Now to move to a touchy subject... halfords. in the mist of my searching for a road bike THIS keeps popping up online as being a decent buy? But its halfords... so i'm automatically assuming its of lesser quality than the Defy bikes. Should i avoid this bike? Because it seems to be decent value for the components its equipped with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The Carrera appears to have the right mix of tiagra/sora groupset (ie. Tiagra shifters which would be expensive to upgrade and sora derailleurs which will be cheaper to upgrade) while the Defy has the 2300 groupset (which, AIUI, is a lower spec than sora).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

On the UK cycling forums the carerra bikes get a decent rep. Personally I'm not mad about the colour schemes, but they seem like good value. I think the Giant looks better. Dunno how how the wheels or overall weight compares between the giant and the Carrera.

They both have mountings for rack and mudguards which is very handy if its going to be a commuter or a winter bike. Many of the other alternatives like the Specialized Allez don't. Though some of the alternatives are meant to be nicer to ride. I have no experience of them myself. But doing the same window shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Bought a Defy 4 in March (so 6 months old) for sportif events - have found it an excellent bike in terms of strength and responsiveness.

For the money great quality - I have a triple and has worked flawlessly (up the hills of Wicklow many times)

Now need to move to a lighter bike for competitive racing next year. Was thinking of keeping the Defy as a winter training bike - but if you were looking to pick up a bargain we could chat about it.

Advertisement