Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Full license Test

• 19-09-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Heya guys !
    I have now been riding for about 18 months and its time i go for my full license and get the test out of the way...On the 6th December 2010 it will be compulsory to obtain at least 16 hours motorbike lessons before you can apply for the test !! Which is a pain in the arse cos 16 hours of lessons could set ya back a fair few quid !! :(

Me being a student, cost is an issue... i cant afford that many lessons !
    Ideally i need to get the test done before 6th Dec 2010.

Can anybody who has passed (Or how/why you failed ) their test give me some tips on road possitioning, observation, and general riding considerations for the test...

Cheers !! Help apprieciated :)

1998 Honda Hornet 250

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Don't think the CBT will have any impact on you seeing as you already have your learner permit.

Here are two links for you on the test experience:
    Link 1
    Link 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Don't think the CBT will have any impact on you seeing as you already have your learner permit.

Here are two links for you on the test experience:
    Link 1
    Link 2

Cheers RosieJoe, Link 2 was very helpfull ( link one didnt work :( )
    Very helpfull on road possitions and observations ! 1)Mirrors 2)Indicate 3)Lifesaver 4)Move

I just read today that the CBT will only affect those on their first prov license, i still have 6 months or so left on my first prov.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Do a couple of pre test lessons with an instructor they will show you everything you need to do and know for the test.

As Rosie says you wont have to do CBT because you already have a permit

Read this booklet (PDF) as well as the Rules of the road.
    This site has a few tips for the test
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/testphp.php

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Do a couple of pre test lessons with an instructor they will show you everything you need to do and know for the test.

As Rosie says you wont have to do CBT because you already have a permit

Cheers for the post....Can you recommend any good motorbike schools...I heard MSA are good....But they have a high price tag !!! Simply dont have that kind of money anymore

Is there more affordable alternatives to MSA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Firstly, should this thread be merged with the one regarding 16 lessons?
    Secondly, I've held a full A1 licence for over twenty years and am considering going for my full A. Would I be treated as a newbie and have to take the 16 hours training or not?

• Advertisement

Post where you live and someone will recommend an instructor
    I did mine a few tears ago with David Lyons
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Secondly, I've held a full A1 licence for over twenty years and am considering going for my full A. Would I be treated as a newbie and have to take the 16 hours training or not?

Not yet, so get in quick with your application for the A learner permit. You will have to do a theory test. You can do the test 6 months after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Cheers for the post....Can you recommend any good motorbike schools...I heard MSA are good....But they have a high price tag !!! Simply dont have that kind of money anymore

Is there more affordable alternatives to MSA ?

Yes there is.
    Where do you live ?

Yes there is.
    Where do you live ?

Good stuff...Im living in the Tallaght area in Dublin

I doubt it but to be safe get your A permit before it comes in!
    Not yet, so get in quick with your application for the A learner permit. You will have to do a theory test. You can do the test 6 months after.
    Dont think he has to to a theory test because he already has an A1

• Advertisement

I moved from an A1 provisional, to a A provisional after i turned 18....I didnt have to resit the theory or pay any additional fees....

Im not sure whether this will apply for a full A1 license moving to a provisional A license.... But expect the worste i suppose and get your application in quick....as said

If you need to do th etheory test again just make sure you pass it before dec 6th....that way you will be exempt from the CBT

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Post where you live and someone will recommend an instructor
    I did mine a few tears ago with David Lyons
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

Definatly better prices than MSA .....
    I will definatly consider this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cheers RosieJoe, Link 2 was very helpfull ( link one didnt work :( )
    Very helpfull on road possitions and observations ! 1)Mirrors 2)Indicate 3)Lifesaver 4)Move

I just read today that the CBT will only affect those on their first prov license, i still have 6 months or so left on my first prov.....

Link1 is not working at the moment 'cos IrishBikerForum is down. Should be up in a while though

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Link1 is not working at the moment 'cos IrishBikerForum is down. Should be up in a while though

Ill be looking at that one later on so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pretty sure that only applies to first permits after that date (don't quote me though).

Go for the test though, 18mths is far more than you need to pass, do a pretest with one of the schools and you'll be grand.

Hornet's a great bike for it too, good manouverability etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

You will have to take a theory test if you have never done one before for the motorcycle. I suspect that holding an A1 for 20 years means you havent. As for the 16 hours NO!. ;)

Roadskill

Advertisement