Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming back medical expenses due to fall in a pub?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

whats the general deal with accidents in pubs? are they liabile for costs incurred or how do you find out?
    what route do you go down? talk to the owner or solicitor?
    is there a difference between say someone just tripping over themselves or actually talking part in an event in the pub and an injury being caused by taking place in the event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

If you are injured due to something that was the pubs fault and think you have a valid claim against the pub talk to a solicitor.

If it is nothing to do with the pub (like you just happened to be in the pub at the time you tripped) I would imagine you don't have a valid claim.

Tbh this post confuses me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

amdublin wrote: »
    If you are injured due to something that was the pubs fault and think you have a valid claim against the pub talk to a solicitor.

If it is nothing to do with the pub (like you just happened to be in the pub at the time you tripped) I would imagine you don't have a valid claim.

Tbh this post confuses me!
    well thats because im confused.
    alright the exact situation is she fell on her face during a sumo wrestling thing in a pub (you know the play blow up suits)
    dental costs because of it. So are they liable?
    there was nothing in the way of padding on the floor and the fact that when wearing those suits you cant cushion yourself with your hands.
    but how do you find out if they are liable then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There should have been padding on the floor but then again she knew there wasnt and sill played the game. I would think its her own fault to be honest.

You could try approaching the bar first, they might agree to split the costs or go see a solicitor.

amcalester wrote: »
    There should have been padding on the floor but then again she knew there wasnt and sill played the game. I would think its her own fault to be honest.

You could try approaching the bar first, they might agree to split the costs or go see a solicitor.
    well i guess that would have to be argued like i thought (thats why i didnt go into it in the first post).
    So there is definatly no insurance premises have that generally cover this sort of thing?
    Just thats what i was told by some people but found it hard to find info. They were saying public liabilty insurance

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did she sign a waiver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The bar would have public liability insurance, but that can only be used if the bar is found to be negligent in some way. If all required safety procedures were adhered to, then they are probably not liable. If the sumo event was being organised by an outside company, then their liability insurance would be the one covering it, but again only if they were somehow negligent.

In general, your own personal injury insurance should be adequate to cover you for any injuries you suffer when taking part in any event, or to cover for an accident.

The only way to find out if they are liable would probably be to get a solicitor to submit a claim against them. Their insurance company will decide whether to fight or pay the claim.

cheers jor el, think that filled me in pretty well.

Advertisement