Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you bring your child to mass/service/worship/rituals?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

So my daughter has confirmation next may, so making a big conscious effort to go to mass.

My husband and I are different religions but daughter is christened the same as me. so it has to be who makes the effort.

do you go to mass bring the kids..

do you bring your child to mass.. 46 votes

no... not christened.
    0% 0 votes
    no... christened but don't go.
    26% 12 votes
    christmas, weddings, funerals, and christenings.
    34% 16 votes
    a couple of times a year
    19% 9 votes
    every few weeks
    8% 4 votes
    every week with out fail
    10% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I'm not catholic, husband is but doesn't go to mass. Daughter sings in school choir and does the usual school religious stuff.

I think people can act Christian without going to mass and i personally think that is more important than putting on a front for an hour. A person is defined by their actions to others, not how many times they go to mass.

Whats the point in going just because she is having her communion, that to me isn't a good enough reason. you go because you want to go, you want her to believe in heaven and hell, the trinity, the life story of Jesus, you want her to learn the things he taught his disciples, the history in the old testament and the new testament. You want her to learn to values of the bible (they can also be taught at home) you want her to accept gods word as the truth. Not because she is doing her communion. Going because you want to be seen doing the right thing also isnt a good enough reason. talk with your daughter se if she wants to go.

just a thought, what do i know, ive never been to mass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Kids go to a Childrens mass and they love it. Honestly its a great way to start the sunday!. (Religion apart I'm there every sunday! a hour of peace!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

alex73 wrote: »
    Kids go to a Childrens mass and they love it. Honestly its a great way to start the sunday!. (Religion apart I'm there every sunday! a hour of peace!)

Same here!!!, I love the play room the church has for kids, its a god-send (pardon the pune)

Mass is a real pleasure for the kids. We have coffee and tea after and meet other parents. I really enjoy sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Ever try to have a conversation with someone religious? They can never be reasoned out of it, because they were never reasoned into it. Religion = child abuse.

Telling a child that there's a man in the sky keeping an eye on them, watching their every move, listening to every thought and telling them that they will spend eternity burning in fire if they dont believe in this man or doing something "wrong" is abusive. Because childrens brains arent developed its no different than someone going into a mentally handicapped home and telling them there's a man in the sky watching everything they do and is going to send them to burn them forever after they die. Someone would be arrested for doing this.

Cróga wrote: »
    Ever try to have a conversation with someone religious? They can never be reasoned out of it, because they were never reasoned into it. Religion = child abuse.

Telling a child that there's a man in the sky keeping an eye on them, watching their every move, listening to every thought and telling them that they will spend eternity burning in fire if they dont believe in this man or doing something "wrong" is abusive. Its no different than someone going into a mentally handicapped home and telling them there's a man in the sky watching everything they do and is going to send them to burn them forever after they die. Someone would be arrested for doing this.

No. I just tell my kids god loves them as a father as I love them.. Nothing more. No fire..

What to you take religion to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Neither of us are religious and the kids are not christened and nor do they attend a school with a religious ethos so it's not something we do at home. My mother in law used to take them to mass with her when we were visiting but in light of the seemingly never-ending scandals she doesn't go either now.

Religion is another form of superstition. Its just a more popular form. Why do you teach your kids that this god is real? What about the 9999 other gods?

Because its what I believe, what my parents, grandparents and great grand parents believed. I'm proud that my Children believe.

If you want to call it superstition... that's your decision. I am happy to educate my children in the faith I was educated in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I voted but I'm not saying out loud. My very wise father told me never to talk religion or politics with strangers ;)
    Sometimes you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

grindelwald: I expect repectful and courteous posting at all times. That goes to anyone else in this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We go about once a month. I was raised a Catholic but I have no faith and disagree with a lot of the church's teachings regarding sexuality and women. My husband was also raised a Catholic but is more of an agnostic these days. Religion is quite important to our extended families, so we decided to raise our child within the Catholic community. I do not see this as hypocritical. We did not drift into the decision but considered all the pros and cons for our child and believe that for us, the best thing to do is raise our child as a Catholic but make sure he is equipped with the knowledge he needs to be able to question all doctrines he encounters in his lifetime, whether religious, political or philosophical. I will not be putting on a show of piety - he will know as he gets older (as the rest of my family knows) that I do not believe but am simply giving him the chance to share in the faith of his grandparents and cousins. I will also teach him that while Catholics believe that theirs is the one true church, other religions also believe the same thing and others believe there is no God and that all beliefs should be respected as long as they are compatible with human rights.

My childhood faith was strong, I loved the prayers before meals and bedtime and how the seasons of the church and the seasons of the year blended together. Lent and Advent taught me self-control, discipline and delayed gratification, something lacking in a lot of kids today. Sure, secular parents can teach those things too, but there is something magical in how these times are celebrated in the Church and I would not like my child to miss out on that.

I have never been abused by the church. To me, God was benevolent, Jesus was a role model and priests were nice men who ran the youth group and sports club and organised the family fun day. In religion class we were taught about right and wrong, right was to live your life through love and treat others as you would be treated; wrong was to be hurtful or dishonest. I had no conception of hell nor was I ever threatened with hell by teachers, priests or parents. Heaven was where dead grandparents went so they could look out for us and make sure we stayed safe. There was an inkling that dogs and cats might go there too.

My experience of the Catholic church was a wholly positive one. Most of all I learned tolerance and respect for myself and for others. My parents could have taught me those things, but like me, they believed in the value of belonging to a wider community. I believe in the same thing for my child. I would like him to have the chance to have faith. If like me he loses his faith, grand. But I do believe it is healthier to have been brought up within a faith and lose it than have no faith and feel the need to search for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i'm atheist, i christened my daughter because i thought i needed to, to get her into school and also out of fear tbh. (fear of exclusion)
    i did nothing in junior infants, i let her plough on with the alive-o curriculum, questioned her when she recited a prayer for me and realised that it meant nothing to her (she thought that maybe the principal was this god chap!)
    i made sure she knew that mammy did not believe in god and that the nativity story was just that (to me)

this year she has started senior infants and is not participating in the alive-o curriculum, she has her own special colouring book and story book to work with when its time for alive-o. the relief of actually putting a stop to the religion part of school is immense tbh, once it was done i stopped worrying about the whole thing.

so no, after all the prattling on, we do not go to mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I bring my kids to mass every week. Like my parents did with me. I am not here to debate the morals of religion.

I bring my kids to mass becuase i choose to raise my kids a certain way. When they are old enough they can decide if they wish to continue down this road.

I do not understand why people are so critical of those who bring their kids to mass. I use the sugar and sweets analagy..

Kids love sugar kids love sweets. Kids would eat sugar all day long. Kids would attempt to survive on nothing but sweets.

If we gave kids the option they would choose to eat sweets all the time and nothing else however as parents we choose to protect them and limit their intake of sugar. We teach them the wrongs by doing this.

When they are off an age they are free to eat all the sweets they want...However through there education they know this not to be the wise choice.

I have never seen a situation where a parent attempting to religion there chid has done any harm. However i have seen where free will has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I really did not intend on this becoming a debate on religion.

If someone brings their child to mass and wants to raise their child with a particular faithit is none of mine or your business.

Your posting will probably deter the sane people from posting here.

Would you mind taking your debate else where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i have to say, joey the lips, the analogy is not clear to me :o

do you mean that bringing your kids to mass instills morals and without mass the wouldn't know the difference between right and wrong?

Quality wrote: »
    I really did not intend on this becoming a debate on religion.

If someone brings their child to mass and wants to raise their child with a particular faithit is none of mine or your business.

Your posting will probably deter the sane people from posting here.

Would you mind taking your debate else where

Just out of interest what was the point of the thread? I just answered the question and so far there has been multiple people posting sweeping statements and generalisation and judgements on how others choose to raise their children and only one of them was Cróga....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It was a question on whether people brought their kids to mass!!

Nothing to do with what faith a person is or whether they should or should not believe

I don't think people should be judged for having a particular faith!!

I don't like finger pointers

Im sorry if my posts are troubling to you but i believe child abuse should be talked about.

I really don't think parenting is the appropriate forum to cast aspersions or knock anyone else's parenting choices - whether that be having a faith or lack there of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Croga, i'm an atheist personally and i think this is the wrong forum for your campaign. And posting here isn't going to change anyones mind about their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Croga, i'm an atheist personally and i think this is the wrong forum for your campaign.

Why do you think this is the wrong forum?
    And posting here isn't going to change anyones mind about their beliefs.

Why do you say this?

Why do you think this is the wrong forum?

Why do you say this?

well, I hope I articulate myself properly here, I feel that this forum (parenting) isn't the place for anyone to try and enforce their religious views on others and from the manner of your posts its coming across that you are championing atheism and judging those who choose to bring their kids to mass. (even though I concur with one or two of your assertions!)

Put it this way, I hate when religious people try to force religion on me or mine. I assume you feel the same way.( correct me if i'm wrong) It just seems to me that in this thread you're trying to force your views on the religious.

In my experience that never works and just makes you look like the fundamentalist. And that's never a good thing imo

• Advertisement

bringing kids to mass and teaching them that God is real is child abuse

it's the right of parents to bring up their children in the belief system which they see fit though (within reason of course!). Although you consider it child abuse (which is a very very strong term and bound to provoke a strong reaction) parents who themselves were brought up in a religious environment and found it beneficial will want to pass those experiences on to their children.

Telling religious people that they're abusing their children by taking them to mass is only going to provoke anger i think. If you worded it a different way you might have more success in provoking rational thought and reasoned debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yes, once a month, or every 3 weeks. It's grand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cróga This is the parenting forum which is supportive of all parents including those who are raising thier children with in a faith or to have a spiritual life.

This is not the place for your type of evangelical atheist inflammatory rhetoric,
    I to can regurgitate Dawkins. If you post in this manner again you will be banned from this forum.
    I have removed your posts from this thread and have moved them to the humanities forum.

Morning everyone, right I am off to have my coffee :)

Cróga banned for ignoring mod warnings, instructions and persisting with inflammatory posts.

Quality wrote: »

I don't think people should be judged for having a particular faith!!

Very true...

People do, the number of things I had to refute over the years when the topic of my relgion and that fact my children are not christians comes up.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    People do, the number of things I had to refute over the years when the topic of my relgion and that fact my children are not christians comes up.

yes they do.

look at the north

AL qaeda

Hitler/Nazis

and many many more,

Personally i couldnt care less what faith if any someone has. It the person that counts. Dont know if i got that point accross in my first post.

. Dont know if i got that point accross in my first post.

No you didn't. Your edited version reads quite well now.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Sadly people are judged by all sides no matter what they do :(

I've had comments from other parents at the school gate for not going to mass. On the other side you have people who do go to mass being called hypocrits and acused of being in collusion with child abusers.
    Damned if you do etc....

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    No you didn't. Your edited version reads quite well now.

Only a small portion was deleted, the bit where i said ********** the rest is the same. I don't just believe catholics are *********** the same goes for other faiths too, the only ones who cant be ********* are the ones who belong to no faith. They are not pretending to be something they are not. I've seen a muslim drink alcohol, doesnt bother me in the slightest, But if that muslim came up to me and said i shouldnt drink then i would be peed off. Im only speeking in general and not finger pointing at anyone. If your catholic your only judge is god, doesnt matter what anyone else says, they are after all only human.

Advertisement