Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel to charge you for processor "upgrades"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This has already had an outing on the Hardware thread. Suffice to say this is pretty decent and doesn't harm any of us; the problem stems from the fact that it could be a harbinger of far worse to come in the upcoming (and increasingly controversial) Sandy Bridge lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Whats the betting this is cracked already.
    Free upgrades woo-hoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Free Upgrades have existed for years in the forms of Overclocking (although you would need a decent cooler so they're not necessarily free :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Free Upgrades have existed for years in the forms of Overclocking (although you would need a decent cooler so they're not necessarily free :))

I was being sarcastic. Pointing out the stupidity of Intels new money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I suppose the upside to it is if, say, you want a processor with hyperthreading, but can only afford the one without hyperthreading. This would suit in the mean-time.

• Advertisement

The problems only start when they want end-users to buy or even rent their OC. And so Intel once more set off on their FailBoat... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i really hope amd is smart enough not to follow suit :rolleyes:

Solitaire wrote: »
    The problems only start when they want end-users to buy or even rent their OC.
    Only if they choose not to reduce the up-front price for these processes. Example: Processors A and B. Same specs except for A is locked but can be upgraded (long or short term) and B is unlocked ("k series". As long there is still the k series, then I think it could work for the rest of us. Albeit the premium would be much higher up-front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

misleading thread title tbh, upgrades should be replaced with OC'ing.
    I suppose the upside to it is if, say, you want a processor with hyperthreading, but can only afford the one without hyperthreading. This would suit in the mean-time.

i think you've hit it on the nail there. this could potentially be a good (read: technophobe) thing.
    when you've got a limited budget, buy a processor that can be "unlocked" later when you have money to spend again, instead of replacing the whole processor and binning the old one. of course, this only works if the "locked" processor is comparatively cheap as chips.

AFAIK the Ks won't be fully unlocked on Sandy - they'll have a "few bins worth" of OC and if my predictions come true will have more "options" purchaseable than the cheaper no-OC chips, including bigger OCs :rolleyes: Only the EE series will be fully unlocked - so you'd still be able to OC an Intel CPU so long as you had a grand laying around to drop on a 32nm version of what we already have available :mad:

• Advertisement

On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile idea - it's locked down by software and requires a pin-code which I'd imagine will see a few workarounds. The other thing is that it's only available to Windows 7 users, i.e. "new pc's" (targeted at those sold from retailers?).

Precisely, because its the only way Intel can track the "deactivated" i3s and keep them seperate from the "properly borked" i3s that were cut down to Pentium-G-hood for a reason.

Advertisement