Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encoding files on a pc

• 19-09-2010 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

Can you put a code lock on files on your pc, say like a Word file?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Not quite... you can zip it up as a .zip or .rar file though, and put a password on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you can save word files with a password. it's somewhere under options iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it that you don't want people being able to change the text of the file, or to open file at all without a password?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

biko wrote: »
    Is it that you don't want people being able to change the text of the file, or to open file at all without a password?

A password on a file, so only I can open it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You have two choices in word, password protect it so it can't be opened without the password. and/or passworded protected so it can't be edited without a password. That said both can be cracked if someone really wants to do it. So its not that secure.

An alternative might be to encrypt part of your HD, for sensitive data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, you can do that but I recommend TrueCrypt.
    You then create a secret partition/folder that is password protected. You can just drop document into the folder and they'll be protected from anyone who doesn't have the password to the folder.

You can even protect the entire computer this way or just a partition or a folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That won't help if the document is being distributed.

If not I'd use Truecrypt too. I use it a lot.

Advertisement