Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Night Courses

Options
  • 19-09-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, feel free to move this to the education forum if necessary- I thought somebody out this way might have some info. I was hoping to get myself motivated and take a night course. The Balbriggan Community College website said there will be no courses this fall. I can't get through to anybody on the number provided. I'm wondering, is this down to funding cuts or a lack of interest this past year? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hi there,

I'm not sure why the Tech aren't doing the courses this year and I do know that Finnians in Swords are the same, but if you pop down to the library you can pick up a booklet on night courses for Dublin which will include any courses available in Balbriggan. Its usually €5 but the libraries have them for free.

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Yeah I've just spotted that on their website. That's very odd as I was only looking at some of their courses last week and considering one or two myself. I'm very disappointed in this.

There are some BTEI classes running in the evenings but they are very restrictive:

http://www.fingaladulteducation.ie/VEC/course_locations/balbriggan1.php

I wonder why they've made this decision (is it down to a lack of tutors, space or something else). If anybody is able to enlighten me I'd appreciate it. Evening classes in the town are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

My sons doing some in Skerries CC.They are run by the VEC.
    Maybe give them a bell.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 june77

Thanks for posting back. It's a bit selfish on my part- i don't drive and live not too far from the Community College so it was the closest venue. I was interested in the dressmaking course. It is strange that there are no courses this year. I also looked through the local paper over the last few weeks and no mention of Balbriggan. I'm interested to know why!!! I hope nobody was depending on a course at the college. I'll try the library for the book suggested.

june77 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting back. It's a bit selfish on my part- i don't drive and live not too far from the Community College so it was the closest venue. I was interested in the dressmaking course. It is strange that there are no courses this year. I also looked through the local paper over the last few weeks and no mention of Balbriggan. I'm interested to know why!!! I hope nobody was depending on a course at the college. I'll try the library for the book suggested.

I was also interested in the dressmaking.

Would anybody know someone who would be tutoring this, maybe we could get enough people together to see about running the course outside of the VEC. There are a couple of other suitable locations in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Events in Balbriggan Library
    Writing 3.0 Fingal's Annual Writers' Festival, co-programmed by Fingal Libraries and Arts Office, begins in October 2010.
    Writing 3.0 focuses on the writing process in the Twenty First Century and how it evolved from the blank page across a range of interactive and ever changing technologies associated with creativity that potentially reaches vast audiences. The programme of events will be available very soon.
    Participants include: The Drivetime Diarists; Colin Bateman; Nuala Ni Chonchúir; Stuart Neville and Arlene Hunt; Performance Poets, Colm Keegan, Dave Lordan and Maighread Medbh. Events range from author readings and discussions, writing, animation and screen writing workshops, by journalists, bloggers, and authors; The Irish Film Board, Cartoon Saloon as well as a viewing of Conor McPherson’s film ‘Eclipse’.
    Tickets are allocated via the web. More details in due course.
    Balbriggan Chess Club Deadline for : 'From Page to Stage' , a competition jointly organised by the four Dublin Local authorities is September 15th. This competition presents an opportunity for playwrights to showcase their work as part of Innovation Dublin.
    Form in Poetry: workshop with poet Máighréad Medbh Monday 6th September 6pm-8pm

New Clubs for Young People
    Children’s Creative Writing for 10-12 year-olds Wednesdays 5pm-6pm starting 8th September Register at the Junior Desk 8704403

Creative Writing for 12-15 year-olds every second Wednesday starting 8th September from 6pm-7pm
    Please register at the Junior Desk 8704403
    Balbriggan Chess Club
    In advance of the new season, the Balbriggan Chess Club resumes its fortnightly meetings in Balbriggan library. All ages and abilities are welcome. The first meeting is on Thursday 16 September from 6.15pm-8.15pm. Meeting dates for the rest of the year (same times) are as follows:
    September 16th and 30th;
    October 14th and 28th;
    November 11th and 25th;
    December 9th and 23rd.

Friends of the Library Coffee Morning, Come along for a cuppa and a chat on the last Friday of every month Friday 24th September 11am-12noon.

DJ Class. Saturday September 4th @ 3pm Come along and get to grips with real DJ Equipment, decks, mix tables and Drum Machines .
    Knitting Classes every Tuesday at 7.30pm starting 14th Sept. Please give your name at the adult desk
    Polish Storytime first Thursday of every month 4.30pm starting 2nd Sept, all are welcome.
    Coffee afternoon for mums first Tuesday of every month 2.30pm starting 1st Sept. Come along, enjoy a cuppa while the kids enjoy English and Polish stories and music, all welcome
    GIY—Grow it yourself group meeting Wed 1st Sept 7.30pm all welcome
    Exhibitions
    A Century of the ICA. To celebrate the centenary of the ICA there will be an exhibition of their work on display during September. ICA President Marie O’Toole will launch the exhibition on Thursday 9th Sept at 7.30pm with a talk entitled “A Century of the ICA” All welcome

I don't know if any of that appeals as an alternative to night classes. I see there is knitting - I know its not dressmaking but its in the same ballpark.

Thanks but you're right, it's not the same! I can knit already, dressmaking is a new skill I'd like to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 june77

Thanks for that- the library always is a great resource. I had my heart set on the dressmaking- i need to learn how to use a sewing machine and i would love the design aspect.

Advertisement