Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is PSP the best console for JRPG's in the near future?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Just after the TGS one can start to wonder whether PSP would be the best console that you can buy to play JRPGs in the near future. During the TGS Valkyria Chronicles 3 was announced, Monster Hunter 3rd was dated and Square-Enix came with a great line-up for the PSP(including Birth By Sleep Final Mix, Dissidia sequel or the 3rd Birthday). This comes on top of other good JRPGs already on the system like VC 2, FF7 Crisis Core, Dissidia or Birth By Sleep. So do you guys think PSP is the console to get?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You forgot Jeanne D'Arc in already released and awesome games :)

Hmm... it does seem to be heading that way but I think it's not going to last. When the 3DS comes out the PSP is going to die, and die fast. Then I'd put my money on the 3DS. Also the DS is still a really strong RPG system and Atlus seems to be supporting it and the 3DS more than the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Haha yeah I don't know how I managed to leave that one out. Also I left out FF Agito 13 out of the upcoming titles :D

I wonder about the 3DS, I mean I will be getting it because it seems pretty epic, but I wonder how will the JRPG, or RPG, games use the 3D element(because not using it would defeat the purpose of releasing a game on the system). I'd say it will take at least a year to pick up, from what I've read the only JRPG scheduled for 3DS so far is Kingdom Hearts 3D.
    Also I think S-E is the company to follow with this regard. I mean back in the day they pushed the NDS with a lot of good titles (like remakes of FF3 and 4, the new FF12 Revenant Wings or TWEWY). Right now they seem to be focusing on the PSP(with all their AAA titles from the TGS being on the PSP system).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square Enix are kind of dead to me. They aren't as good as they used to be and have no interest in most of the games they are making at the moment. PSP is the big RPG console in japan because of monster hunter, which I hate.

For me the company to follow is Atlus. They've always been as good as square enix but lately in the last 7 or so years they have been pumping out ridiculously good games that far surpass Squaresoft, it just took everyone a while to notice. They support the PSP but so far only with ports while making their original games like Devil Survivor and SMT Strange Journey for the 3DS. They've announced at least 5 games for the 3DS, probably more and also the smart money is on Persona 5 coming to 3DS and if you've played Persona 3 and 4 (if you haven't you really need to) you will know they are probably the best 2 JRPGs ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For me the company to follow is Atlus.

Starting to agree with you on this! Playing persona 3 portable at the moment and really enjoying it (even though it is starting to get a bit repetitive; find weakness, exploit, all-out-attack over and over). Hope they bring out persona 4 on psp or psp2.

Just wondering if any of the other Atlus psp games are good? Checked their official site and there are tons of psp games: Knights in the Nightmare, Hexys Force, etc etc

I heard knights in the nightmare is really good but very hard. It has a weird mechanic were you have to sacrifice characters you are using to make others stronger. A lot of the Atlus games are only Atlus published but they tend to bring over a lot of good stuff. The Atlus developed games however are solid gold. They have Persona 1 remake on the PSP but be warned it's an old school dungeon crawler so you might not like it. Their DS SMT games Strange Journey and Devil Survivor are amazing as well.

One none Atlus PSP game I thoroughly recommend is the brilliant and overlooked Jeanne D'Arc which is by the same guys that made Dragon Quest 8 and 9.
    Edit: Oops think I mentioned all that already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    One non Atlus PSP game I thoroughly recommend is the brilliant and overlooked Jeanne D'Arc which is by the same guys that made Dragon Quest 8 and 9.
    Edit: Oops think I mentioned all that already :)

Yeah I finished Jeanne D'arc and loved it. My favourite psp game. Was hoping to find another game with the same brilliant simplicity but the alternatives (FF Tactics, Disgaea etc) are all too slow and deep for my liking.

Might check out Valkyria Chronicles 2 next

Forgot about Valkyria Chronicles 2. Definitely worth checking out, playing it at the moment and loving it even if it is a step backwards from the excellent original. If you can find it Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is worth checking out (nothing to do with Valkyria Chronicles).

FF tactics is worth sticking with, it's one of my favourite games ever. The only problem is that it's so bloody hard, you really need to grind a lot in it. I heard they at least sorted out some horrendous difficulty spikes in the PSP remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Well in my opinion, the Ds has been one of the best consoles this generation, especially for RPGs.

In the last little while we've had Dragon Quest 9, Chrono Trigger, Mario and Luigi, and the Heart/Gold remakes.

And just recently we've seen Final Fantasy 4 Heroes Of Light (which in my opinion is alot better than its given credit for).

I really think that if your looking for a solid RPG then look no further than the trusty little DS. Also with the future releases of the new Golden Sun and the 3DS, I feel the JRPG front is only going to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Would 3rd Birthday (the new Parasite Eve) count? It's probably still a ways off, but I remember loving the second one. Never got to play the first, it'd be cool if they released it on the US PSN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_Birthday

It looks like it's coming to the US but EU is looking dodgy. I think it's more of a third person shooter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I think that Square Enix is finally getting back on track now .. after the catastrophes they've produced in the past years (see FF XII ...), except for Kingdom Hearst, which I always REALLY enjoyed - but that's Nomura and Nomura has so far never disappointed me (The World Ends With You is imo the best game the NDS has seen so far).
    FF XIII was alright when it comes to overall story and system, the strict linearity and lacking "world map" to explore in the end as well as the abscence of side quests (apart from those hunting missions and the chocobo stuff) was really disappointing.

Anyways, I have high hopes for Versus XIII and I'm really looking forward to the new KH titles (I just finished Birth by Sleep, which was awesome!) and the second Dissidia.
    Never been a fan of Dragon Quest, so yeah ... :)

Advertisement