Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky making their standard broadcasting sh1te

• 19-09-2010 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Right. Here's one for yiz. I've noticed that since sky launched HD, their standard picture / sound broadcast is becoming gradually worse. Back in 99 / 2000 when everyone started getting sky, and that stupid "coz I got sky" song was on gift grub, the sky picture was perfect. Absolutely crystal clear. Everybody got sky in the first place because the normal terrestrial TV was snowy and undependable, plus you got waaaaaaay more channels with sky.

But 10 years on, and its not such a pretty picture. I have a Philips CRT tele, its about 10 years old. Last year, around the time HD was being talked about, I noticed a buzzing when you bring up the TV guide, and its getting louder as time goes on. Its not me tele, as it goes away when I press mute. I also tried a different tele, and a different sky box, but its the same. My tele still works perfectly with terrestrial. I tried it on my GF's brand new Sony Bravia, with her skybox, and sure enough its like there's a bee in the room somewhere.

But to my horror, I also noticed the picture on hers in muck! My 10 year old CRT at least has a clear picture! Hers is all pixelated, and there's clearly diagonal lines running across the screen. However, its not like that with DVD's. When I saw her tele in the showroom, they had two of these, the same model, side-by-side. One had sky HD, the other had standard. The standard picture was as described above. The HD pic looked good, but no better than my CRT tele's picture, so we assumed the sh1te quality one was just dodgy leads or something. We bought it, and as I said, her pic is rubbish. She has standard sky.

So, here's my conspiracy theory. I believe sky is purposely making their standard broadcast sh1te, so people will buy their HD. My anecdotal evidence is described above. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is there an explanation I'm overlooking? Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You might be on to something but as you said your evidence is circumstantial.

I do believe that it's something that's in their interests to do and they're well capable of doing it.
    I myself have never subscribed to Sky directly so i'm going to have to take your word for it, although I have noticed that the quality of my cable Tv is a lot different to what it used to be although I lack the means to prove that UPC are cojoling me into a HD upgrade I have felt that might be the case.

Glazers Out!

Its spelt telly...a tele is a guitar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Well spotted, pat on the back for you. I bet you have a great time going from thread to thread correcting peoples spellings. We need someone like you here to help us all out, someone to alert everyone else when there is an error made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Standard Definition is broadcast in 720 x 576 = 415k pixels. Most HD TV's are 1920 x 1080 = 2,074k pixels. The HD picture has a resolution 5 times better than SD. This is why it looks alot better. Also on new TV's SD is always going to look rubbish - you have to stretch 415k pixels to fit onto a panel of over 2 MILLION pixels. Whenever you stetch an image you will always end up with a poorer image. Certainly no conspiracy here as you are claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

No conspiracy here really. I have an old 38 inch CRT and a 48 inch HD tv.
    The SD channels look like ****e on the new tv (particularly RTE) but are perfect on the old one.
    HD looks great on the new one and are the same as the sd ones on the old one.

As namloc says, unless you have a HD source, then you get a better picture on the old CRT tvs.

• Advertisement

Well spotted, pat on the back for you. I bet you have a great time going from thread to thread correcting peoples spellings. We need someone like you here to help us all out, someone to alert everyone else when there is an error made.

Thanks...

I do what i can..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Spot the difference...
    fender-squier-affinity-telecaster-black.32080126_large.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDAbSq3a7JUeSRjVJKwiNnV-4vZv_Nym6SdgwFPHQyomiOsoI&t=1&usg=__4BaD8Tk8EkulzB2Fo78Xu2uZEJo=

I'm pretty sure we all knew what he was on about, but thanks anyway:p

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

nullzero wrote: »
    Spot the difference...
    fender-squier-affinity-telecaster-black.32080126_large.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDAbSq3a7JUeSRjVJKwiNnV-4vZv_Nym6SdgwFPHQyomiOsoI&t=1&usg=__4BaD8Tk8EkulzB2Fo78Xu2uZEJo=

I'm pretty sure we all knew what he was on about, but thanks anyway:p

Shame the "Tele" is a Squire model :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Lads can we get somewhat back on topic please :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Standard Definition is broadcast in 720 x 576 = 415k pixels. Most HD TV's are 1920 x 1080 = 2,074k pixels. The HD picture has a resolution 5 times better than SD. This is why it looks alot better. Also on new TV's SD is always going to look rubbish - you have to stretch 415k pixels to fit onto a panel of over 2 MILLION pixels. Whenever you stetch an image you will always end up with a poorer image. Certainly no conspiracy here as you are claiming.
    Ludo wrote: »
    No conspiracy here really. I have an old 38 inch CRT and a 48 inch HD tv.
    The SD channels look like ****e on the new tv (particularly RTE) but are perfect on the old one.
    HD looks great on the new one and are the same as the sd ones on the old one.

As namloc says, unless you have a HD source, then you get a better picture on the old CRT tvs.

Thanks lads, that does clear up a lot! You would imagine the newer the TELLY:rolleyes:, the better the technology! If old CRT's have a better pic on SD, why would anyone bother buying a HD?

Also, any ideas on the buzzing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Thanks lads, that does clear up a lot! You would imagine the newer the TELLY:rolleyes:, the better the technology! If old CRT's have a better pic on SD, why would anyone bother buying a HD?

Also, any ideas on the buzzing?

Stab in the dark here, but poorly aligned dish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Stab in the dark here, but poorly aligned dish?

Possibly. Although tried 3 different ones, same result. I'll try moving me own during the week.

I still think sky are up to shenanigans though!

Advertisement