Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error with Network Connections

• 19-09-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Some program called Broadcom was installed on my laptop which I gather was there to configure wireless connection. I couldn't use this program and wanted to use the regular windows set up. In order to do so, Windows was telling me that I needed to run the WZC which I did.

Now I get the following when I click on "View available wireless networks":
    Windows cannot configure this wireless connection.

If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software.

If you want to use Windows to configure this connection, click "Change advanced settings", click the Wireless Networks tab and then select the check box labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

Only problem is, that when I click on "Change advanced settings", I get this:
    An unexpected error has occurred.

And I can go no further. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this and how I might fix it? Broadcom has actually been uninstalled at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Do you get any errors in the event viewer.

Download and run winsockxpfix from snapfiles. It's worth a try if you are running windows xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

OK so I got it to work and now I can view and choose wireless networks using the standard Windows set up. Two new problems though:

I have to reconfigure the WZC every time I want to connect to the internet. Looks like something is automatically reverting to the old system. Any ideas how I could stop this?

I've been trying to connect to a new wireless network and I get stuck on "Acquiring Network Address" and can never connect. Why would this happen?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The most common cause for that is the wrong encryption key/password is being used.

Does the wireless router use WEP or WPA.

Start by removing it from the preferred networks using the advanced section of the WZC.

You could try disabling the security, see if you can connect and then turn encryption back on.

Download the latest driver for the wireless card and the broadcom program that you uninstalled if possible.

Uninstall the wireless card.

Restart the PC and install using the new driver.

Install the broadcom program if its not done automatically.

Open the program and look for the option to allow Windows to configure the wireless networks.

Try to set it up using windows again, if it works restart the pc, make sure it still works then remove the broadcom program.

Advertisement