Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private servers

Options
  • 19-09-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Dident see it against the rules in the charter so i said il ask, Has any one ever been on a private server? I know there against TOS and illegal but the seem to be very very different to normal servers(blizzard)

Look at the type of stuff you can do on them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-7bZfeVPo&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Massively illegal.

Completely not fun.

Totally pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Think some of the wow machima videos set on private servers. Seen jeensfar or sumfin sayin its what she use's on her youtube comments about how they were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ihateclowns11

Yes i play on private server all the time,ever since i got pissed off payin wow money,privates are great fun,you have the power off a gm,you can fly,grow,speed x100,morph into anything,have anything morphed,summon anything,any gear ye want or mount or anything,the list is endless,So yea its great fun.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Insomniac_

Only good private server was "DSWoW" 3 years ago.. They have gone downhill since.. Much rather play official wow .. Was a GM on some also but never enjoyed it.. Got paid only reason I stuck with em as long as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Insomniac_ wrote: »
    Only good private server was "DSWoW" 3 years ago.. They have gone downhill since.. Much rather play official wow .. Was a GM on some also but never enjoyed it.. Got paid only reason I stuck with em as long as I did.

you got paid to play wow? what.

• Advertisement

Yup ran a instant 70 pvp realm on a private server.. got paypal money each week off people buying "Donator Gear" .. Suckers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Insomniac_ wrote:
    Insomniac_ wrote:
    Yup ran a instant 70 pvp realm on a private server.. got paypal money each week off people buying "Donator Gear" .. Suckers ;)

Admitting my profit-making crime-spree on a public forum was the greatest idea ever...

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/08/15/046250/Blizzard-Sues-Private-Server-Company-Awarded-88M

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

please, enlighten me what really is the point of having all the features you want in the game ?

before answer, please remember that the phrase "i like to have the power to do anything i want in a game" ranks very high in most people's common-sense-retardometer

and, admitting in an online forum you got money for it ? first crawl, then walk...

i must have been missing something, really... as i asked before, please, enlighten me what's the point ?

: ?

p.s. - as much as 3€ per week can either buy you 1 pint or gameplay... are we struggling to decide what to do with all that money per week ?

Best thing was I would have too log on maybe once twice a week .. I just owned the realm not the server.. was dragged into it by a mate .. some cash too but me a xbox and I left it at that .. I have never really played a private server but once.. realms we're down and me and a mate decided too hop on and pvp a bit.. was alri ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yes i play on private server all the time,ever since i got pissed off payin wow money,privates are great fun,you have the power off a gm,you can fly,grow,speed x100,morph into anything,have anything morphed,summon anything,any gear ye want or mount or anything,the list is endless,So yea its great fun.:D

until the novelty wears off and you buy a subscription to Aion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

please, enlighten me what really is the point of having all the features you want in the game ?
    Functions and features, are different things. Imagine if you had to pay extra for your character to jump, or else you'd have to walk through a mile long maze of juniper bushes...

Wow largely hinges on character progression. I see no point in logging in and suddenly having everything. These stair events look like ass and defy the laws of virtual gravity for another thing.

Overheal wrote: »
    Functions and features, are different things. Imagine if you had to pay extra for your character to jump, or else you'd have to walk through a mile long maze of juniper bushes...

Wow largely hinges on character progression. I see no point in logging in and suddenly having everything. These stair events look like ass and defy the laws of virtual gravity for another thing.

i believe you completely missed which side of the line i'm taking on this subject

i believe you completely missed which side of the line i'm taking on this subject
    usually after saying such things, one tends to elaborate their original point in the interest of clarity.

i'll do so, sir.

allow me to clarify:

i severly condemn any act of piracy. i hate leechers, fakers, cheaters and trolls.

i remember leaving behind so many games due to fun-spoilers that purely and simply do nothing but exploit servers in order to cheat (unreal, quake, counterstrike, etc.)

i do not understand the need to be in a server and enjoy gameplay when all features and functions are at your will.

maybe i like to think that i come from the dying breed of people that consider themselves gamers. for me, being in a guild is not a right, but a priviledge and the gear we wear after killing a monster is not a prize, but a reward.

when people say that playing is expensive, i usually reply that the term "expensive" could only be used if everybody had the same perspective over what priorities are set in one's life. i prioritize 1 month of gameplay over a pint of heiniken.

my point is: i condemn illegal actions.

i'll do so, sir.

allow me to clarify:

i severly condemn any act of piracy. i hate leechers, fakers, cheaters and trolls.

i remember leaving behind so many games due to fun-spoilers that purely and simply do nothing but exploit servers in order to cheat (unreal, quake, counterstrike, etc.)

i do not understand the need to be in a server and enjoy gameplay when all features and functions are at your will.

maybe i like to think that i come from the dying breed of people that consider themselves gamers. for me, being in a guild is not a right, but a priviledge and the gear we wear after killing a monster is not a prize, but a reward.

when people say that playing is expensive, i usually reply that the term "expensive" could only be used if everybody had the same perspective over what priorities are set in one's life. i prioritize 1 month of gameplay over a pint of heiniken.

my point is: i condemn illegal actions.
    Then yes, I got your original point. I think maybe you didn't get mine: that I wasn't directing my post at you. I agreed with what you were saying and ¶ went on discussing the subject.

I heart semantics.

bow

bow

Blessing Of Wisdom please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I don't see the fun in getting what ever you want just handed to you. For me, the whole high of WoW is working hard to downing a boss then winning what drops. I'd get bored very quickly on a private sever.

Official wow ftw.. only messed about on private realms when I was younger due too the fact my mate wouldnt pay the subscribtion so Id hop on and pvp with him for an hour or too .. was never the same..

Blessing Of Wisdom please?

when i play on my pally and get into randoms i usually get all sort of cry-outs... i have my answer macro'd:

this is not domino's pizza

• Advertisement

Most pallys dont know how too buff right .. On fury warr I hate when they give the group might.. when I already have my battle shout up

Most pallys dont know how too buff right .. On fury warr I hate when they give the group might.. when I already have my battle shout up

Imp BoM is better than BS isn't it?

when i play on my pally and get into randoms i usually get all sort of cry-outs... i have my answer macro'd:

this is not domino's pizza

If you're not using PallyPower then you fail badly. If you are and randoms are crying, then thats their problem.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Imp BoM is better than BS isn't it?
    Imp BoM <= Imp BS. Both give I think 650 AP. Shout overrides.

Pally Power. And never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

I don't see the fun in getting what ever you want just handed to you. For me, the whole high of WoW is working hard to downing a boss then winning what drops. I'd get bored very quickly on a private sever.

Its great to be able to do things you wouldent normally be able to do

Dustaz wrote: »
    If you're not using PallyPower then you fail badly. If you are and randoms are crying, then thats their problem.

I am using PP - and couldn't be arsed changing it because one guy wants this and the other wants that - all get kings and that's it - couldn't be more worried about if I get sta-buff or not- when you tend to clear instances like hor when you're way below def-cap and with more blues you want to show, you tend to become an arrogant tank like so many we get to see around... I am no different

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Sorry for the bump

I have just started playing on a PS (Private Server), and I have to say, I am having alot more fun than the Retail. Yes, I may be on a x12 server but I am still having fun.

If you are new to WoW and have never played retail, you wont be missing out on anything that is in a PS. The developers for the PS try to have it as accurate as possible, but beware that you can run into alot of bugs

Advertisement