Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Slot Meters for electricity

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember these? Back in the old days you had to come outside and throw in 50p every so often to the lights back on in the house :)

Well I am looking to see if I can price one of these machines for euros (well 50c preferably tbh). Honestly I'm interested to see if they are still around and how much one would cost. I have a mooch around the next for an hour or so but was not very successful.

I have heard of credit ones but tbh the coin ones suit the proposed purpose better. Also, its more about electricity for cash and and less about measuring the amount of electricity used before anyone suggests alternatives :)

Thanks in advance for any advice or help posted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

card meters seem to be the norm now but you can get coin meters that take 2 euro coins, they cost about 173 euro inc vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

card meters seem to be the norm now but you can get coin meters that take 2 euro coins, they cost about 173 euro inc vat.
    indie, any idea who supplies these?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can get one from esb networks

indie, any idea who supplies these?

we do them in our place so i'd imagine most electrical wholesalers do too.

• Advertisement

here is a link to the type some wholesalers stock.

http://www.rdlmeters.co.uk/

the one on the homepage is the dual coin, takes 1 and 2 euro coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

Can anybody explain to me how the electricity card meter works. This would be put into a self contained annex to a private house. The cards can be purchased from an electrical shop and sold to the tenant apparently. I believe that these cards can be purchased by anyone and if this is the case how does a landlord ensure that cards that cost a few pence are not used in his meter without cash being paid for his electricity. Does the meter have a number and do the cards have to be programmed when purchased? Information Please????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

TeresaL wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me how the electricity card meter works. This would be put into a self contained annex to a private house. The cards can be purchased from an electrical shop and sold to the tenant apparently. I believe that these cards can be purchased by anyone and if this is the case how does a landlord ensure that cards that cost a few pence are not used in his meter without cash being paid for his electricity. Does the meter have a number and do the cards have to be programmed when purchased? Information Please????

wholesalers will not sell them to the public though

its my belief that landlord card meters are not legal anymore
    something to do with not being allowed to sell on electricity
    esb networks wont be happy

Advertisement