Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big spiders

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

there are some really large spiders coming into the house at the moment. She can't sleep, i can't get any peace and the kiddies think they're toys! Don't really like the look of them myself. How long will this continue does anyone know? Normally just september i think, but not sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dr ro wrote: »
    there are some really large spiders coming into the house at the moment. She can't sleep, i can't get any peace and the kiddies think they're toys! Don't really like the look of them myself. How long will this continue does anyone know? Normally just september i think, but not sure

You always get them in Sept/October time. Ive had a few corkers myself. The males reach maturity around early autumn time and are wandering looking for some spider loving.

My brother used to have a ground floor 1 bed flat in Streatham in S London. Im not joking when i say someone of them would wear his shoes while wandering through his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

4 pairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dr ro wrote: »
    4 pairs?

As requested

4-pears-mandy-brown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

It's starting again very early this year. I thought the frosty weather would have killed many of them, and have been able to relax while at home, but today I ran into this lad, so I see them everywhere now :eek:

Here's his mate, before moving to Co. Meath, I lived in Belfast and that's where I snapped this one, just before getting a bashing with my mop :(
    Near enough every day I would have one of those in my Ground Floor apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

A friend of mine daughter puts wide sellotape sticky side up across
    the door frame floor.It may seem funny but it worked no spiders in her room

hahaha I think that if I would put stickytape under all the doors, they would keep my hubby out before the spiders, he's declare me mad.
    I've heard that conkers should keep them out.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1217709/Do-conkers-drive-spiders-bonkers-Royal-Society-Chemistry-tests-old-wives-tale.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I've stopped the big ones getting stuck in the bath with conkers.
    We used to have one in the bath every morning (not the same one!)
    They used to climb down the corner of the wall from the ceiling.
    One conker in the corner seemed to disturb them enough that they don't use that side of the room anymore. I thought it was an old wives tale too, but cheap to try!

God, I know what u mean! on my previous address, it was becoming the norm to find a massive black whopper in the bath every morning.
    And still it frightened the bejaysus out of me.
    I was glad they kept going into the batch though, as they can't climb out, and I could drown them ( I know that sounds awful) I'm just terrified of them, eventhough I know they're harmless.
    When you put the conker there, and it doesn't go into the batch, who knows where it went instead? :eek:
    It does prove that it works though!

I think these are the ones we're talking about: The Giant Housespider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

weemammy wrote: »
    Here's his mate, before moving to Co. Meath, I lived in Belfast and that's where I snapped this one, just before getting a bashing with my mop :(
    Near enough every day I would have one of those in my Ground Floor apt.

Good god :eek:

I've lived my house since September and haven't seen one spider for some reason.

Don't like 'um tho, Thing is im planning to go to Oz next september and some of the guys have been saying the spiders are monsters. Check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352870&page=91

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Those spiders you speak of are not coming in, they are going out - The spiders have most likely been in your attic for the winter and as spring arrives, they look for a way out - it will only be for another week or 2!

Good god :eek:

I've lived my house since September and haven't seen one spider for some reason.

Don't like 'um tho, Thing is im planning to go to Oz next september and some of the guys have been saying the spiders are monsters. Check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352870&page=91

OMG! I know! we're planning to go to oz as well, but if a common domestic spider nearly gives me a heart attack...those bastards they have Down Under are really dangerous, and big :(

Those spiders you speak of are not coming in, they are going out - The spiders have most likely been in your attic for the winter and as spring arrives, they look for a way out - it will only be for another week or 2!

So what ur saying is, that those spiders that I've seen from September untill November were on their way IN, to hide somewhere in my house, and the spider that I saw last night, was on his way OUT, to find a mate or something? I also heard somewhere that the males look for mates in the Autumn, so what is it they're coming out for now?
    Or is it the females that come out now, cause they eat the males after mating in the autumn, right?
    It makes sence, it must've been a female I saw last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

weemammy wrote: »
    So what ur saying is, that those spiders that I've seen from September untill November were on their way IN, to hide somewhere in my house, and the spider that I saw last night, was on his way OUT, to find a mate or something? I also heard somewhere that the males look for mates in the Autumn, so what is it they're coming out for now?
    Or is it the females that come out now, cause they eat the males after mating in the autumn, right?
    It makes sence, it must've been a female I saw last night.
    did it have 8 breasts?

LOL no, but it was yappin away, something about 900 kids, stretchmarks and that useless prick of a bloke that didn't even taste good

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I am now completely terrified!! I wish I had not read this thread.
    I was really scared that I might click on one of the links and see one of these creatues :) you describe.
    Luckily, we never seem to get any spiders in our house,...long may this continue.

Advertisement