Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM of old laptop

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi ive got a very old iqon laptop (5 or 6 years old) that has a massive 256mb of ram and a 1.4 ghz processor and running windows xp :eek:

So I opened it today and it seems it has only one ram slot, is that normal or do I need to look again?

Also I was reading online that certain laptops can only take certain ram sticks. I was thinking off upgrading it to 512mb or 1gb of ram but how do I find out if it can accept this and work ok with it? Also how do I distinguish between desktop and laptop ram when buying on say ebay?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Most laptops have two RAM slots stacked together; one folds over the top of the second, hiding it.

RAM2small.jpg
    RAM3small.jpg

Believe it or not, the gap between those two is among the biggest I've seen - most laptop SODIMM slots leave only a tiny amount of the lower module showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Digitalism wrote: »
    Hi ive got a very old iqon laptop (5 or 6 years old)
    Model number would be a huge help.
    So I opened it today and it seems it has only one ram slot, is that normal or do I need to look again?
    Solitaire wrote:
    Most laptops have two RAM slots stacked together; one folds over the top of the second, hiding it.
    My ol' Compaq R4000 has one slot on each side of the mobo, so one is at the bottom as normal but I had to remove the keyboard to get at the top slot.
    Also I was reading online that certain laptops can only take certain ram sticks. I was thinking off upgrading it to 512mb or 1gb of ram but how do I find out if it can accept this and work ok with it?
    There are ways to find that out. Download the excellent (and free :pac:) CPU-Z application which will tell you the type of memory your laptop has. If you post it back here someone will help you choose the right type of memory.

HTH :)

Advertisement