Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb-what parts of plants are safe to eat?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Need someone to back me up on this...

the leaves are toxic-they contain oxalic acid which is poisonous yes?

the stems are safe to eat? does it matter if the stems are green/red?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are correct. Don't eat the leaves, but the stems are good to eat, nicer with a bit of a red blush I think, but red or green they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Yes on the leaves. They are okay to compost though.

Either red or green for the stems but you will always need a dip in sugar if eating raw.

Just pulled the last of my rhubarb on Sunday. Had a really good year. Plants did well, some nice crumbles during the summer and some in the freezer for a few over the winter.

I use Timberely Early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dfbemt wrote: »
    Yes on the leaves. They are okay to compost though.

Either red or green for the stems but you will always need a dip in sugar if eating raw.

Just pulled the last of my rhubarb on Sunday. Had a really good year. Plants did well, some nice crumbles during the summer and some in the freezer for a few over the winter.

I use Timberely Early

There is a recorded case of someone actually killing themselves by toxic overload by eating the red stem part too, they ate about 2lbs a day for two weeks. Anyone can overdose on anyfood once you eat enough but I don't advise it!:D

Advertisement