Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my hamsters teeth and his friendliness :-/ help

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, i was just wondering if my hamsters bottom teeth are too long! id say theyre about 4 or 5 mm long, but i was looking at him closely there in his cage and he was closing his mouth and i heard a squishy sound !!! eek! his mouth is usually open aswell and a friend of mine told me that his teeth ARE too long! his top teeth are fine really! he is about 5 months old, id say, and he is a Syrian hamster!
    is 5mm too long? if not, what length would be too long? how do i get them cut if i need to? (he pays no attention to the chew toys i put in his cage like those little wooden blocks shaped like little fruit and hes CONSTANTLY chewing on the bars of his cage)

also, i have him about a month now and he doesnt seem to be warming up to me. i take him out and put him in his ball, and i let him crawl over my hands, but he constantly runs away from me and jumps at the sight of me! im very gentle with him and always try to go to his level so as not to scare him! i absolutely love him to bits tho and im going on holidays for a week soon and my sisters taking him...i really dont want to give her a potentially sick hamster!!!
    any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! thanks in advance (i know hamsters aren't the most exotic pet, but come on... :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you can post a pic up so we can look. Its hard to tell by your description but it does sound like they could be too long. You can actully clip them yourself but it is best to take her to the vet and get him to show you how to do this. It also takes 2 people.

To help prevent hamster teeth from becoming overgrown. Give her hard dog biscuits to chew and also carrot or apple tree branches.

To help tame her dont leave treats in her cage at all, instead offer them by hand. Good exampes of treats could be some dandelon leave (small amount), apple, carrot, sunflower seed (not too many) peanuts. Hard boiled egg yolk. She will soon begin to associate you with nice things and will come looking for them. Gradually start to handle her and do this each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Hi, i was just wondering if my hamsters bottom teeth are too long! id say theyre about 4 or 5 mm long, but i was looking at him closely there in his cage and he was closing his mouth and i heard a squishy sound !!! eek! his mouth is usually open aswell and a friend of mine told me that his teeth ARE too long! his top teeth are fine really! he is about 5 months old, id say, and he is a Syrian hamster!
    is 5mm too long? if not, what length would be too long? how do i get them cut if i need to? (he pays no attention to the chew toys i put in his cage like those little wooden blocks shaped like little fruit and hes CONSTANTLY chewing on the bars of his cage)

also, i have him about a month now and he doesnt seem to be warming up to me. i take him out and put him in his ball, and i let him crawl over my hands, but he constantly runs away from me and jumps at the sight of me! im very gentle with him and always try to go to his level so as not to scare him! i absolutely love him to bits tho and im going on holidays for a week soon and my sisters taking him...i really dont want to give her a potentially sick hamster!!!
    any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! thanks in advance (i know hamsters aren't the most exotic pet, but come on... :D )

Any vet will cut their teeth for you and show you how to do it.

I used to actually cut my hamsters teeth myself with a baby nail trimmer Its easier than it sounds, just gently scuff (or get someone else to scuff) the hamster and its mouth will automatically open then trim its teeth. don't take off too much and make sure they are even. Also be very careful not to cut their lip or little tongue.

Advertisement