Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no money.. lots of birthdays

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hey all, basically long time fan of AH, 1st time poster. (female)

Need some advise, seem like all my ****in friends are turning 30 like right now.. i am in full time work, but have money issues, credit card based :( my fault i know!!

So I'm looking for savage (cheep) pressie ideas, would have gone to the ladies lounge but i am looking for off the wall inspiration!

jenberry xxxxxxxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Easy - just ignore any calls and emails for a few weeks, dont buy them a present and when all the b'days are over - BAMMM! - im back bitches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

You have money problems. They're your friends. They'll understand if they really are your friends.

I know it sucks not having money for presents but just explain it. If worse comes to worse, get photos of times you had with them, make them cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jenberry

You have money problems. They're your friends. They'll understand if they really are your friends.

I know it sucks not having money for presents but just explain it. If worse comes to worse, get photos of times you had with them, make them cards.

You are so sweet, a tear can to my eyes, they are fab friends, and i know they would understand, but the shame kills me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

2 options.

First option is look mortified and say "Oh God I left your present at home, I'm so mortified!" But in reality you never bought them a gift.

Second option is just wrap up something from your house like a pair of Jeans or a towel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

You need to emigrate, at least for a few years. Come back in say 2014, and nobody will remember that you forgot the presents. You may need a loan shark since you are a poorie.

• Advertisement

Jenberry wrote: »
    You are so sweet, a tear can to my eyes, they are fab friends, and i know they would understand, but the shame kills me :(

I'm sure you've made a fool out of yourself infront of them and they didn't leave you then. They're not going to make you feel worse.

How many birthdays are there? If it's only a few can't you get a loan of money off a relative and buy something cheap that they like.

Even if it's just getting them a naggin or a pint or something, it's still something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jenberry

Oranage2 wrote: »
    2 options.

First option is look mortified and say "Oh God I left your present at home, I'm so mortified!" But in reality you never bought them a gift.

Second option is just wrap up something from your house like a pair of Jeans or a towel or something.

i did the whole "i forgot your pressie" already for one friend *scarlet*!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

give them a card and tell them you have no money simple

yup! even said (female) in the op for those who couldnt get it from my name :confused:

But, if i were a guy.... who knows, i might have taken your advice! But i'm not... so i wont... but thanks anyway x

If you're going out to a pub or something just be the first person to buy them their first drink. Or (assuming you have facebook) grab photos, make the card and give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Get them something cheap but thoughtfull, its all about the thought that counts, especially when your broke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

are you good at cooking? you could make a rocky road thingy and wrap it really nicely, or jam, or something like that! homemade vodka jelly shots??, lm trying to think of things u can make, scrapbook of good times thru the years... go splits with another friend on a pressie?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

So I'm looking for savage (cheep) pressie ideas, would have gone to the ladies lounge but i am looking for off the wall inspiration!

Have you thought of routing out old photo's and making a memories album? If it's a she it will go down a threat. I did it for a friend recently and she loved it. (I'm a poor student so to say I am broke is an understatement!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Get a potato, stick cocktail sticks in it and give them all a hedgehog ornament they will love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

or the double cheeseburger for €2...see i know these thing, didnt get a fat ass just sitting on it! it had to be fed!!! :p.

But these girls would say No toMcD, but not to a bag of my chips on a Sat night :rolleyes: .

A bag of chips per size-8 30 year old birthday girl.

They'll probably CRY tasting the first salt and vinegar drenched potato yumminess in their 30 years! They cant refuse for once it's their birthdays.

Chips for size-8 30 year old mates. CHIPS!!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

On my last birthday one of my friends didn't have a penny to her name, had lost her job, loads of bills etc. So she just gave me a piece of cardboard with "I promise to cook you one meal of your choice and eat it with you so you get to enjoy my fabulous company" scrawled onto it in black marker.

Easily the best present I got that year. Anyone can walk into the first shop they see and throw some money around. At least her present had some substance and originality to it.

So maybe something like that OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

If your handy on a computer download photoshop & create something with loads of pictures of memories together and that sort of stuff, then buy a cute cheap frame (dunnes have lovely ones!) pop the picture in the frame & you're done!

Did it for my friends & they loved it..! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Fine out what their favourite bands or favourite movies.

Then type that into Ebay along with the word 'rare', bound to find some stuff they don't have a good prices and they'll think you paid and mint for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep,if you're anyway creative, i'd agree with making something OP. I've gotten a few home made gifts and really appriciated them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I've gotten a few home made gifts and really appriciated them.

After you screamed and cried into your pillow:

"That bastard made me a fucking jewellery box and couldn't even buy me one damn piece of jewellery to put in the bloody thing, the mean bastard - well I hope he appreciates the wooden socks he's gonna get for Christmas!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Peer in the window of the local playschool.They have all the best ideas for cheap gifts. Everyone loves them too!

A bird feeder made of a pine cone smeared in peanut butter and rolled in meusli on a string is always a winner! :D

The elegance! The usefulness! The bird sh!t on the washing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

doubt it's been suggested yet, but maybe photos to recapture your time spent together.

that or make something original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Izzy711

I make things for my friends. Each friend is different. For example, I made a cook book for a friend because she couldn't cook at all and wanted to learn.

I have lots of friends who live very far away from me. With them, I scrapbook frames for them of us together or of fun times they have had. That way they have something of us and to hang on their wall. They love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Thread cleaned up after being moved from AH.

Advertisement