Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very upset.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

cc-offe wrote: »
    Hi elexes, thank you, my partner did the school run today so it will be tomorrow or wednesday before I see the principal.

well good luck when you see them. i wouldn't accept any sort of excuse for taking my girl out of school without my permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Upon enrolling my daughter in the local school, I signed a consent form allowing her to participate in events and giving the school permission to bring her to and from said events.

So far this year they have been to mass, to the athletics track and to the local garda and fire station for a visit.

I was not asked about these. I heard about them upon her return from school.
    She is making her communion this year. I anticipate a number of visits to the church.

I would have a gander through the consent forms and make sure you didn't sign something you were unaware of.
    However, you also need to be aware that if you refuse permission for your child he will also miss out on other things, not just mass.

In my opinion, you need to accept he is in school now and he will be participating in things during the day that you will be unaware of. Litter picking, bringing messages from one class to another, being in charge of the class pet and yes, leaving the school grounds for nature walks etc.

Last year the school ran a healthy eating campaign and part of that was taking the kids on walks. We got a leaflet about it but there was no permission slips etc.
    I guess if I'd had a problem I could have insisted she stay in but she'd have lost out then.

I think you may be struggling with loosening the apron strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP I do think you are right to be slightly concerned about the school taking your child off the grounds without your consent. Where your child was brought to is irrelevant in this case, the fact is that your child was not in the grounds you were told he would be in

The best course of action is to meet with the principal and tell him you would like to know a day ot two prior if your child is going to be taken off school grounds

I wouldn't get angry or anything, keep it calm. I'm sure it won't happen again once you've talked to them about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

6~7yr olds making her communion this year is one thing, 4~5 yrs is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

ash23 wrote: »
    Upon enrolling my daughter in the local school, I signed a consent form allowing her to participate in events and giving the school permission to bring her to and from said events.

So far this year they have been to mass, to the athletics track and to the local garda and fire station for a visit.

I was not asked about these. I heard about them upon her return from school.
    She is making her communion this year. I anticipate a number of visits to the church.

I would have a gander through the consent forms and make sure you didn't sign something you were unaware of.
    However, you also need to be aware that if you refuse permission for your child he will also miss out on other things, not just mass.

In my opinion, you need to accept he is in school now and he will be participating in things during the day that you will be unaware of. Litter picking, bringing messages from one class to another, being in charge of the class pet and yes, leaving the school grounds for nature walks etc.

Last year the school ran a healthy eating campaign and part of that was taking the kids on walks. We got a leaflet about it but there was no permission slips etc.
    I guess if I'd had a problem I could have insisted she stay in but she'd have lost out then.

I think you may be struggling with loosening the apron strings.

Thanks ash23 for your input :) I didn't sign consent forms for it and I know nature walks etc are great for the kids, I just want to be informed, as I said the school texts parents to reduce the need for paper notes so just a simple text would be fine. If you are aware you can opt out if you wish to, you know where your kids are and everyone is happy.

And thanks unregistered, I have no intention of losing it with the principal :) I might have been snappy here but that's because some people were twisting what I said, he seems a very nice man so hopefully the little chat will be fine!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

the way the school works, they are in their infants room which is locked and in a seperate part of the school

The infants room is locked?

I'd be a bit more concerned about that....

Thanks ash23 for your input :) I didn't sign consent forms for it and I know nature walks etc are great for the kids, I just want to be informed, as I said the school texts parents to reduce the need for paper notes so just a simple text would be fine. If you are aware you can opt out if you wish to, you know where your kids are and everyone is happy.

And thanks unregistered, I have no intention of losing it with the principal :) I might have been snappy here but that's because some people were twisting what I said, he seems a very nice man so hopefully the little chat will be fine!!

Honestly, I think it's a bit of a wste of school resources to be informing parents every time the kids are brought off school grounds. In a regular school you're talking about 9/10 classes of 30 kids. About 300 kids, 300 parents, 300 texts every time..... 10c a text...30 quid. For what...to tell them you're bringing the kids on a nature walk?

I don't think schools should have to inform the parents of every move the kids make to be honest.
    If it were a lovely day and the kids were brought on a walk I'd be happy that they were out enjoying themselves, getting fresh air and exercise. Not complaning.

For the poster who said big difference between 4 year old and 7 year old, my daughter was brought in JI too. And in Montessori they used to go to the park, to the fire station, on spur of the moment strolls....

I doubt they are bringing 300 kids out of the school at the same time on a regular basis.

its not every move, its off the school premises.

dan_d wrote: »
    The infants room is locked?

I'd be a bit more concerned about that....

Hi dan_d, sorry the infants room is the first room inside the side of the school and I only really copped it last friday that the teacher opens the building door (not the classroom) with the key at hometime, I don't know if it's locked all day or not so will ask the next day. They've talked about doing the fire drill to my son's class but haven't done one yet and there line up area is outside that door so I will have to find out.

In many schools they lock certain doors, to prevent public access but it couldn't be the only exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Try 600 plus. My school did it last Friday. Tbh I totally agree with ash23

Try 600 plus. My school did it last Friday. Tbh I totally agree with ash23

Where did they bring these 600?

BostonB wrote: »
    I doubt they are bringing 300 kids out of the school at the same time on a regular basis.

its not every move, its off the school premises.

On a holy day they'd bring ALL the kids to church.

Honestly, I think it's a bit of a wste of school resources to be informing parents every time the kids are brought off school grounds. In a regular school you're talking about 9/10 classes of 30 kids. About 300 kids, 300 parents, 300 texts every time..... 10c a text...30 quid. For what...to tell them you're bringing the kids on a nature walk?

I don't think schools should have to inform the parents of every move the kids make to be honest.
    If it were a lovely day and the kids were brought on a walk I'd be happy that they were out enjoying themselves, getting fresh air and exercise. Not complaning.

For the poster who said big difference between 4 year old and 7 year old, my daughter was brought in JI too. And in Montessori they used to go to the park, to the fire station, on spur of the moment strolls....

I highly doubt they are paying 10c a text, all our numbers are on their computer, when the text comes the name of the school comes up, like if you reserved something in a*gos etc so it's obviously a business account.

I find it strange that you think teachers should have free reign to bring kids wherever they like.

Slightly OT but maybe it is a sign of the times but when my little fella was off on a bus for his playschool school tour, only me and one other parent turned up to wave them off, I was pretty surprised at that, when I was in school all the parents used to wave their kids off. It's nice to remember things like that..

and back on topic, the school tell you to talk to your chiild about their day and stay involved....well i want to do that so please inform me of any outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did they bring these 600?

To the cathedral. 3 min walk away. all Us parents had to wait 15 mins after the rang for them to leave the cathedra. None off us knew what was going on until the first class of kids turned the corner to the school. My lady is diabetic but her sna was with her do that wasn't too bad. But I was really peed that they wernt back by leaving time at 2.45 we got out of the school at 3.02. ( my lady is in 5th class) all classes 1st to 6th was at the cathedral. It's happened before aswell.

On a holy day they'd bring ALL the kids to church.

I've never heard of that.

Heres a school with a church on site, and they don't do that for Holy days.
    http://www.mountsackville.ie/events.asp

• Administrators Posts: 14,057 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, the supervision of our kids on such outings to the church is handled by pairing the 5th and 6th class boys and girls with the infants (junior and senior), to hold their hands and walk with them. They are also, obviously, supervised by teachers strategically placed too.

No infant is left to walk on their own, or just holding another infants hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm upset for a number of reasons,

1. On that day when he should have been in school he was in a different place without my knowledge.

2. In light of everything I know about the church and abuse I think it is completely inappropriate for them to be brought down there without informing us.

3. Is that not illegal for them to be taken out of school without written consent?

4. It is a big enough class and I do not know how many teachers or adults walked with all these children on the road to the church, My son holds my hand on that road and I hate the thought of him not being safe walking down the road.

Am i being irrational? Because I don't think I am
    I can understand you wanting to be informed if your child is going to be taken off school grounds during school hours, but the church/abuse thing is pretty irrational - borderline hysterical even (IMO) especially when you supported this point with mention of the care home in Jersey, don't know where that came from. They don't risk being abused just because it's in a catholic church - I'd imagine that ain't gonna be happening now anyway among catholic orders.
    And as for road safety - you seem to be underestimating just how much of a duty of care teachers have. They are TERRIFIED of anything happening to a pupil so they'll damn well ensure it won't.

Dudess wrote: »
    I can understand you wanting to be informed if your child is going to be taken off school grounds during school hours, but the church/abuse thing is pretty irrational - borderline hysterical even (IMO) especially when you supported this point with mention of the care home in Jersey, don't know where that came from. They don't risk being abused just because it's in a catholic church - I'd imagine that ain't gonna be happening now anyway among catholic orders.
    And as for road safety - you seem to be underestimating just how much of a duty of care teachers have. They are TERRIFIED of anything happening to a pupil so they'll damn well ensure it won't.

2 points about the abuse

1. I was not referring to the jersey care home, I was referring to the montessori/playschool in the uk where the worker was locked up last year for taking indecent pictures of the children in her care, do you remember that case?

2. I was not saying he was going to be abused, I said in light of all the stories we have heard about the church the schools should not assume that they are allowed to take them there. How can I put this......say there was news stories about children being abused in the past at local libraries......schools should not take it as a given that all parents want their children to be brought there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The first school tour I ever did was with junior infants. A friend had the other infant class, so we took 70 infants between two to the zoo. All had a great day and all came home safe and sound.

Things have moved on but we take children on trips and manage very well. Our children play football, hurling,camogie,handball matches,some during school hours. We will be taking the classes from 1st - 6th on trips for Tree Day shortly,about 350 children in total. Sacrament classes will go to mass during the year, other classes may go to the library down town, to the arts centre for shows. We visit historical sites,we go to the local I.T.
    It's not practical to text parents about our every move.The cost would be huge and end up falling back on the parents.

The revised curriculum is all about linking school to the environment. As a pupil, I'd be thrilled to go half of these places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

If for any reason the school wants to take you're child off premises they are supposed to obtain your consent. If there is an accident or medical issue the parents need to know where the child is. And for insurance reasons too. you can sue their ass if sonething happens and you didn't give your consent for your child to go.;)

Every time my kids are being taken somewhere regardless of where it is, we get a note home to be signed by the parent/legal guardian.
    And i call my 11 year old my baby too sometimes:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Great, "sue the ass off the school", this mentality is why some schools don't allow running and have banned school tours.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

1. I was not referring to the jersey care home
    My apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Our school brings the children across the road to the Church now and again. It hasn't even crossed my mind to be bothered by it :confused:. i think when you send your child to a Catholic run school you have to assume they will be included in religious activities unless you have specified that they shouldn't be.
    OP there are so many different issues in your posts I can't figure out which is bothering you most? Not knowing where he is or what he is doing at that given moment or the road safety aspect or the religion/ church aspect or all of the above?

The first I can identify with. My eldest went on her first school swimming lesson last week and I was a nervous wreck until I knew the time for them to have arrived back at the school had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

why don't you get him micro chipped there boss

littlebug wrote: »
    Our school brings the children across the road to the Church now and again. It hasn't even crossed my mind to be bothered by it :confused:. i think when you send your child to a Catholic run school you have to assume they will be included in religious activities unless you have specified that they shouldn't be.
    OP there are so many different issues in your posts I can't figure out which is bothering you most? Not knowing where he is or what he is doing at that given moment or the road safety aspect or the religion/ church aspect or all of the above?

The first I can identify with. My eldest went on her first school swimming lesson last week and I was a nervous wreck until I knew the time for them to have arrived back at the school had passed.

Hi littlebug, Yep it's the first one, not knowing where he is, that is the main issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Meeoow wrote: »

If I had the option to, I would.
    If I can do the sodding cat or dog I don't see why not.

Meeoow wrote: »

Wow wanting to know where your 4 year old is apparently not normal these days according to some people, I don't think my parenting should stop because my child is in school, looking for a reaction here are you? Am I complaining I don't know what my 16 year old is doing...no he's 4. What a pathetic comment. Grow up

If my child was off sick the school want a note to say where he was but if my child leaves school with the teachers without informing me i'm supposed to be ok with that.

Thanks Thaedydal, If the option was there I would take it too, leaving myself wide open now for accusations of sitting at home tracking my microchipped child 24 hours a day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi littlebug, Yep it's the first one, not knowing where he is, that is the main issue!

That takes some time to get used to esp with the first one :) Yes you know they're with teachers but teachers are still people that you don't know very well so trust takes a while.

When my youngest got his note out about his school tour last year some of the other junior infants mothers were looking at me and asking "do we not go with them:confused:" :D I probably thought the same thing first time round.

We have to remind ourselves that the teachers are trained and experienced. Wherever they are and whatever they are doing your child will be ok!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    That takes some time to get used to esp with the first one :) Yes you know they're with teachers but teachers are still people that you don't know very well so trust takes a while.

When my youngest got his note out about his school tour last year some of the other junior infants mothers were looking at me and asking "do we not go with them:confused:" :D I probably thought the same thing first time round.

We have to remind ourselves that the teachers are trained and experienced. Wherever they are and whatever they are doing your child will be ok!

Thanks littlebug, On my sons playschool tour (he was in playschool for 2 years) so his first tour he was only 3 I asked them did they want helpers and they said they didn't need any, they went off on their big bus and they had a car travel in front of the bus as the weather was bad but I tried not to worry, his second tour they went off again on the tour and I was happy to see him go off enjoying himself and I didn't worry!!

Advertisement