Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very upset.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ash23 wrote: »
    Sigh. Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Sigh, I didn't suggest that. I simply said I've not heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Yes ash23 It does just take one parent suing to change it but if something terrible happened on one of these trips then of course that is going to happen.
    I am completely against the compensation culture we now live in (suing for the sake of it or just chancing it) but however something terrible did happen of course the parent will sue.

I think it is irresponsible if outings are not in some way planned in advance

Thanks tipsygipsy, I plan to get involved in the parents association, there is a meeting next month and i'm glad to hear you find it of great benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Been reading this thread with great interest as a very soon to be parent - two weeks to go from tomorrow :D

Genuine question to the OP. You seem to presume that outside school is inherently more dangerous than being in school. But, an accident could happen anywhere. Surely, the teachers and/or SNAs will be even more vigilant outside of school?

It's an interesting one (to me anyway). Some here seem to accept that "school" is the physical building, whereas others seem to view "school" as the wider learning experience rather than just the building, and thus see trips outside as an inherent part of the educational experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

OP, I'm not trying to cause a row, I genuinely can't see your objection.

Does it matter whether a child is in one building or another?As already said on this thread, teachers are hyper-vigilant and will not put children at risk.Trips are so much easier now that we have mobile phones,if a child gets ill, it is easy to get someone, be it parent or other teacher to take them to a dr.

It's a far cry from the time a teacher I know had a child slip on a school tour and break a leg and that the whole busload had to go to A and E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Does it matter whether a child is in one building or another?As already said on this thread, teachers are hyper-vigilant and will not put children at risk.

Are you looking over my shoulder?:)

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    Been reading this thread with great interest as a very soon to be parent - two weeks to go from tomorrow :D

Genuine question to the OP. You seem to presume that outside school is inherently more dangerous than being in school. But, an accident could happen anywhere. Surely, the teachers and/or SNAs will be even more vigilant outside of school?

It's an interesting one (to me anyway). Some here seem to accept that "school" is the physical building, whereas others seem to view "school" as the wider learning experience rather than just the building, and thus see trips outside as an inherent part of the educational experience.

Hi churchview, 2 weeks to go..how exciting for you!!

I think we all got a bit sidetracked with the topic but my issue is more with them leaving the school building, where i've brought them for the day, without my consent. Worrying about accidents etc is non negotiable when you have kids and I think most people consider their children to be safer when they know where they are If you know what I mean.

Very interesting point that some people consider school to be the building and some consider it to be the experience, that's very true

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Interesting thread, thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

People like you are getting too caught up in rights and wrongs. Which in turn has put up insurance costs etc. when it comes to dealing with children. When I was a child on a nice day we were taken on nature trails through the woods, tours of the convent, picnics, sent for knitting and sowing classes to the Nuns etc. without informing our parents we were also taken to Mass by out teachers under their strict supervision -Do you honestly think that the teachers would put children in danger in this day and age? Do you think they are going to drop your son off in the back room with the priest or something for god sake. I was never a very Catholic person but like my fellow students loved to get a break or do something that broke the monotony of the classroom and curriculum. It's what I remember most from my school years. And I am only 24. Don't take that away from your son. If people like you keep making an issue out of things like this kids won't be able to have any experiences outside the classroom and you will see more and more kids turning away from education because of the monotony, the boredom, the humdrum of what ye have created.

No the reason insurance has gone sky high is because of the compensation culture we now live in, not because of people like me actually.

Yes I think that the teachers are going to drop my son off in a back room with a priest (rolls eyes).

What has age got to do with it, I'm your age, I do remember what it's like to be in school too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm with the OP here and the peeps that aren't musn't have any kids imo.
    If you have a child and you find out they were taken somewhere else other than where you left them after the fact, of course you're gonna be annoyed and concerned!

The fact that it's a church would annoy a lot of people but that's not important in the slightest. I know if my little fella was taken outside of the school building without my consent for any reason whatsoever, I'd go ballistic!

OP: hope you have some feedback on the schools reasons when you confront them on this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

just remembered that a school I pass by daily doesn't have any hall or room large enough for the whole school assembly so they walk over to the church - 5 mins walk away and have assembly there. Its a sensible solution to a problem. would people also have a problem with that seeing as they are technically off the school property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

smokingman wrote: »

Many who disagree with the OP do have kids actually, myself included.
    We just have different views about what schools should have to notify us of.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

smokingman wrote: »

Well your opinion is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Well OP have you spoken to the school about this yet, and considering your partner was doing the pick up's earlier in the week could he/she not have spoken to the school, or do they not think it is an issue?

I am of the opinion that teachers are in loco parentis when we leave our children in their care, and well considering I don't want my children taken to mass we will go out of our way to send them to an Educate Together school, a Catholic school would be easier for us no doubt, but, I guess I don't want to compromise on this aspect of their school life.

It is hard letting go, I am already dreading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

CC.
    I have plodded my way through each and every post here and am in shock at how a very simple question has been blown out of all porportion. U are concerned about the fact that your 4yr old was taked out of school without your permission............. plain and simple.
    Thats a no-brainer, any decent parent would be. I have 2 in secondary school 5th and 6th yr and am still informed when they are heading off school property, I do sign a blanket consent at the start of every year also, yet they feel that as their parent it is important to inform me.
    I hope things are resolved by now and just wanted to offer my support.

The day you are not concerned about where they are is the day you stop being a parent.

Hi everyone, sorry about delay in getting back to you, literally didn't get a chance to go online til now (teething baby)!

I managed to speak to the principal yesterday afternoon and had a very satisfactory chat, I expressed my worries and he apologised for not letting us know,he said he didnt think it would be an issue, he said they bring them at the start of each school year to mass but apart from that the children do not go to the church until their communion year. He said that 2 teachers and himself walked them down. He said if I liked I could put it in writing for the school that I would like to have my child exempt from things like this but according to him they don't really venture outside of the school so I feel there is no need, He said on the odd occasion they might bring the children down to a fundraising coffee morning but parents are always aware of those and a lot of them go themselves. I'm glad I went to have the chat with him, feel soooo much better now that I know they're not going to be taken out of school at a drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Hi OP

Glad you got it sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

hey OP, i had been keeping an eye on this thread but didnt reply, glad you sorted it. i think you were within your rights to be a bit worried about not being informed, even if it seemed OTT to others, i think sometimes its more the 'well if they can do this what else can they do?' more so than what they actually did. its good that they took your concerns seriously.

Advertisement