Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caustic Soda

• 20-09-2010 8:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭

folks is caustic soda still sold in woodies does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

you will more likely get it in a builders providers..... yes i know this does not answer the question .... sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ive bought it in woodies before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

you will more likely get it in a builders providers..... yes i know this does not answer the question .... sorry.

Cheers Joey, there's one down the road actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know where I could get some in the City centre?

Just be careful what you are using this for....

Please do not attempt to use it on a kitchen sink, bathroom sink or Shower tray.

• Advertisement

Just be careful what you are using this for....

Please do not attempt to use it on a kitchen sink, bathroom sink or Shower tray.

It's for my shower...

My Dad's been using it on our shower since I was a wee lad. Finally got a shower of my own that needs treating!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Homebase stock it,its about 4 euro for a decent-sized container.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know where I could get some in the City centre?
    Lenehan's in Capel Street would be the most likely place in the city centre, I think.
    After that, any small hardware shop would probably stock it, there's one in Stoneybatter, one in Phibsborough and probably one somewhere along Camden Street as you go towards Rathmines...

It's for my shower...

My Dad's been using it on our shower since I was a wee lad. Finally got a shower of my own that needs treating!

No. Dangerous and not right. What are you doing with it. Clearing the trap. Can you see the link to sorting the trap on my signature.

Thanks to everyone above for the location help, much appreciated!
    No. Dangerous and not right. What are you doing with it. Clearing the trap. Can you see the link to sorting the trap on my signature.

I took the trap out and cleaned it well, it was in a right state. Full to the brim with hair and gunk. I did this intuitively though, before seeing the vid... and the shower is still draining very, very slowly. In fact, it's draining at a rate slower that the showerhead pumps in water, cos as I'm standing in the shower, the water level is slowly, slowly rising until it's almost up to my ankles when I'm done! Don't particularly like racing against time every morning!

I know Caustic Soda is very dangerous and what it can do to your skin. My Dad's always worn rubber gloves and a face mask, opened all the windows, and then ran cold water in the shower until the bottom was pooling cold water. Pour the Caustic Soda in then and leave immediately and just let it all drain down. Come back then hours later, boil the kettle and run it all over the shower, and the run the shower on cold for a while too, to make sure it's ok. Doesn't sound too dangerous, but again, I don't want to burn the soles of my feet off either...!

I've done what your video suggests (thanks for the tip though :) ) and I need to take further action really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Hey thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Advertisement