Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need more ethernet ports

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I currently have a linksys router ( 4 port ). Initially, ( way back ), I could never see the necessity of me needing more but alas the day has come. The 4 ports on the rear of the router are populated. The obvious move would be 4 a 4 or 8 port switch I reckon; connect this to one of the current ports on the router and use the new ports for whatever else I need.

1st question: Is there any configuring these switched or are they basically PnP ?

2nd: I have a couple of netgear wireless 4 port routers lying around. Could I use one of these to act as a switch ( again, just by connecting the main line in to one of the existing ports via Cat5 on the linksys

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Yes(PnP),and Yes.

just make sure to check the config on the routers so there are no conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Any switch should work straight away without any configuration.

If using the routers then disable DHCP server on them first and use the LAN ports only (i.e. not the WAN port). So for a 4-port router you'd end up using 1 port to connect to the existing router and you'd have 3 extra then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks alot lads. I'll use the routers so. ( If I am reading above correctly, the addition of one router will give me 2 extra ports of access ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

dodzy wrote: »
    ( If I am reading above correctly, the addition of one router will give me 2 extra ports of access ? )

Effectively yes, you lose one on the existing router and gain 3 from the new one.

Advertisement