Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Found a kitten abandoned recently .. Its now 4 weeks old and getting really playful.. Ive noticed his claws and teeth getting alot sharper as he continues too chase my socks every morning 0o

Will he continue too punce apon my feets every morning? Its already so painful :P and he's getting bigger by the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Insomniac_ wrote: »
    Found a kitten abandoned recently .. Its now 4 weeks old and getting really playful.. Ive noticed his claws and teeth getting alot sharper as he continues too chase my socks every morning 0o

Will he continue too punce apon my feets every morning? Its already so painful :P and he's getting bigger by the day

Kittens tend to have pointier claws and teeth than adults... that said, try and teach him that "play" means "no claws and no hard biting".
    I found that with my cats, the quickest way to teach them that was to immediately stop playing with them if they brought their claws out or bit too hard.
    These days, when they're playing, it's with soft paws and only the occasional nibble ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Insomniac_

Yeah gonna have too give it a try like its not that bad but he's getting in the habit of hiding under the sofa.. and as your getting ready too leave the house he pounces... can be sore :3

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I found the most painful thing was when kitty grabbed my bare ankle and sank his claws into me 'til he was removed or my ankle was declared dead.

Yep they are nippy little critters alright but they do get sense with an occasional lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Insomniac - your kitten is probably older than four weeks. Unless he was an eyes-closed, helpless mess when you found him, and you had to feed him formula with a tiny bottle or an eye dropper, he's probably closer to eight or 10 weeks (this is assuming you had him for the last four weeks). What you're experiencing is a result of him being separated from his mum and siblings too early - like puppies, kittens learn that teeth and claws hurt in the rough and tumble games with their siblings - and when it extends to their mum, she usually admonishes them for their over-exuberance.

If you get pounced on and it hurts, let out an almighty squeal and withdraw contact for a few moments, to give the kitten the lesson that he's hurt you. Also never play by wiggling toes at the kitten or roughhousing with your hand - that just teaches the cat that it's acceptable to attack your hands or your feet.

Found him last week vets saying he's 4 weeks .. 5 at the most .. was very week when I found him .. on the walk home from the seafront .. wrapped him up in my hoody and walked the rest of the way home with him .. still had the blue eyes at the time.. I give him a little slap when he does and it seems too work for bout 5 min .. Dont mind it too much just those mornings when he suprises you ;o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't slap him. He's too fragile for it. Squeal and withdraw. It's up to you to teach him that hurting you results in no contact because he doesn't have his siblings or his mum around to teach him. He was barely weaned when you found him - don't give him any cow's milk, it could run right through him. If he's that young there's still a chance he may take a turn for the worse, slapping him isn't the answer, no matter how gentle you think you're being. You need to train him up with affection and love because he's no longer getting that from anywhere else - his mum isn't there to teach him to groom himself, or groom him; she's not there to cuddle him, wash him, nip him, so on so forth. You have to be her, and you're not designed for it because you're a person.

Concentrate on rewarding good behaviour and withdrawing if he's 'bold' (for a given value of bold), but no more slaps!

Alot stronger then you might think .. and I dont slap slap him ha just a gentle push more like and he stops and starts licking your hand instead .. He was on kitten milk but is on the water now .. wont drink anything else .. and also on the kitten food which the vet suggested.. he's a strong little ginger tabby and gets more hyper each day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

had 2 kittens my arms and legs look like ive been injecting myself the end lol

Advertisement