Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on how to catch an escaped hamster.

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

my son let her escape . A little dwarf hamster. day 3 now with no sign of her. I have torn the place apart looking for her. She is my pet and I take care of her.

she hates to be handled and get very frightened by humans. I think it is in her nature as she is some type of Russian breed and cant be tamed .

I know she is freaking out in some hole somewhere.

suggestions on some type of magic trick to lure her out of hiding.??

I have been staying up late in the dark trying to listen for her. Im starting to think the worst.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Here are some ideas to help

Leave out the hamster cage with door open so she can get back in.

Get a large bucket, place some food in it and some bedding. Preferable some food that smells strong. Place it at an angle with steps up to it so she will hopefully go in after the food and not be able to get back out.

Get a humane trip trap and set this but it needs to be checked every 2 hours as hamster could get very distressed if caught in this. You can get these in Atlantic or Woodies.

I found that my dog would lead me to exactly where the hamster was hiding but I had to be very careful that dog didnt get the hamster.

I would leave out some water also because I have found that escaped hamsters dont usually go far. I found ours behind the wardrope in a nest make out of my daughters sock.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I second the bucket idea, just make sure there is something soft in the bottom of the bucket to break the fall but not enough for it to climb back out again. Check your couch, the foam inside it makes a perfect nest for a hamster so many end up in there. They would be most active at night so if you can set up camp in the room with her cage and just sit quietly reading a book, often they come back to the cage to move bedding/food and to get water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't know anything about hamsters but I was going to say to leave the cage out and leave it open and sit quietly and watch it. I had a rabbit for about two days when he escaped and I couldn't catch him (black rabbit at night in the dark, who was still nervous of me) so I just sat inside and waited and sure enough he hopped back into the hutch on his own, so I ran out and shut the door. :)

Good luck with catching the hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

weird my hamster done a legger today aswell but turned up a hour later just leave the cage open and scatter a small bit of food around it 3 days is pretty long do . he is probably hiding near the heating pipes were its warm
    hope he.she turns up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

OK are you sure it's still in the house? If so she'll probably have a hiding place.

Now, you need to eliminate which rooms she's not in. Put some of her food out in every room. Also, spread some flour so you can check for footprints and hopefully track her. Make sure you close every door to get accurate. Also they are nocturnal.

You could try a trap like suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

got her. she was in the kitchen behind the units.
    I had to rip my kitchen apart. dryer washing machine , oven the lot .

chased her into a trap made of books. Dam those wee hamsters can run.

thanks all

Advertisement